News   May 01, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 305     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 349     0 

TTC: Easier Access Phase III

It is badly done - it couldn't decide between replicating the delightful aspects of the original or starting from scratch, ended up only wanly mimicking the original in the most lazy, uninteresting ways with none of the characters that made it interesting. It's ugly - and a failure taking away from the interest of the original entrance without adding interest of its' own. The only saving grace is the utilitarian aspect of the build.

AoD
Eh, agree to disagree. I don't find Dupont's elevator entrance offensive. Like @KhalilHeron mentioned, I think the elevator entrance does fit in with the original entrance. The roof could be better, however.

The underground stations on Line 5 are fine. It's the sorry excuse for shelters on the surface section that's the problem.

This:

1619728925688.png

from Streetview

Is unquestionably, non-sense.

For all the other imperfections.............if the shelter were only continuous, it would be passable (not great).

This:

View attachment 316024
from Streetview

For all the other imperfections.............if the shelter were only continuous, it would be passable (not great).
or even enclosed small shelters would be better than this. They provide far less shelter than a ttc bus shelter. I really don't know what they were thinking

or even enclosed small shelters would be better than this. They provide far less shelter than a ttc bus shelter. I really don't know what they were thinking

I agree there is inadequate enclosure; but the width of the platforms is a limiting factor; the platforms only appear to be 3M wide; and for sure they want 2.1M of free-flow space for pedestrians at the minimum; so w/o a wider platform its unlikely that enclosure is plausible. That said, there were ways to address that at the design stage!

The non-continuous roof is just bizarre.

As a rider you rush to the stop to get out of the rain, but the first shelter area is crowded, you have to run back into the rain to get to the next shelter............sigh.

This:

View attachment 316024
from Streetview

Exactly, I'd be completely fine if the shelters were continuous at least. Finch does seem to be slightly better at this as the individual shelters are closer together over a shorter platform.

1619730143880.png

1619730193324.png

Agreed as well. GO Transit style. I like what ION did with their shelters. The other half of the platform will eventually be covered when 2-car trains operate on the line.

1619730304206.png

I agree there is inadequate enclosure; but the width of the platforms is a limiting factor; the platforms only appear to be 3M wide; and for sure they want 2.1M of free-flow space for pedestrians at the minimum; so w/o a wider platform its unlikely that enclosure is plausible. That said, there were ways to address that at the design stage!

The non-continuous roof is just bizarre.

As a rider you rush to the stop to get out of the rain, but the first shelter area is crowded, you have to run back into the rain to get to the next shelter............sigh.
god forbid there's any wind while it's raining

E0EAocCXEAo66zV.jpeg

This from the brand new T9 tramway in Paris - a much larger shelter than seems to have been built in Toronto. (Google it

I'm surprised there's not even half/full height wind screens between the shelters, too - to provide some token protection against blowing wind, rain or snow!
Any bets when the City will pay Crosslinx some extra cash to upgrade the glorified bus shelters into something more substantial? April after the first winter?

Any bets when the City will pay Crosslinx some extra cash to upgrade the glorified bus shelters into something more substantial? April after the first winter?
Nope s they are pretty much like all of the streetcar ones on St. Calre , Spadina and Queen's Quay now except a bit bigger

It's funny. I posted an Instagram of the new Chester entrance the other day and these are the two responses I got from friends...
  • "Has BC Ferries landed in Toronto?"
  • "It's Coquitlam on The Danforth!"
I don't mind it at all. It's fresh, pleasant and a bit different for the TTC.

We could just do what Viva does for their shelters, if we drove up to York with a crane and lifted them I am not sure anyone would notice
Not enoug sapce for them on the streets of Toronto plus they are overbuilt many standards. Even in Edmonton, they aren't building one that masive.

With a pretty substantial mark-up on the price, since it is a change order.

I'm also irked about the lack of any physical barriers to help prevent an errant vehicle from ending up on the platform.

Any bets when the City will pay Crosslinx some extra cash to upgrade the glorified bus shelters into something more substantial?

The city doesn't have a contract with Crosslinx or ownership of that infrastructure; so never. It would be up to Metrolinx.

So I'll go with 2050 before those shelters receive a different treatment; when the maintenance portion of the contract is up.

Back