News   May 02, 2024
 85     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 129     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 186     0 

TTC: Easier Access Phase III

I mean baby blue should never be used in architecture in general if you ask me, but especially not on an addition to a brutalist structure.

It would be an ugly structure if it was a freestanding building - being attached to an established structure which uses concrete as it's primary form of expression, it's an abomination. It goes further than not referencing the existing structure by just straight up trying to do the exact opposite.

A more appropriate solution would likely have been to either do something with a lot of translucent or gray glass and spandrel panels, trying to minimize it's visual impact, or to use precast to achieve a similar visual style to the original structure. Certainly no primary colours. Right now it's screaming "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME" and just totally clashing with everything about the existing station.
I agree it's clashing but that's why I like it honestly. The juxtaposition makes it a lot more interesting to look at. It's taking a very postmodern approach which I'm usually not huge on but I think it's well-executed here.

I mean baby blue should never be used in architecture in general if you ask me,

Fair point
It would be an ugly structure if it was a freestanding building

100% agreed.

- being attached to an established structure which uses concrete as it's primary form of expression, it's an abomination.

Not sure I'm there though.

A more appropriate solution would likely have been to either do something with a lot of translucent or gray glass and spandrel panels, trying to minimize it's visual impact, or to use precast to achieve a similar visual style to the original structure. Certainly no primary colours. Right now it's screaming "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME" and just totally clashing with everything about the existing station.

A couple of thoughts

I went back and retrieved the original render.
My read is that this was originally grey and red for the elevators project. At least I read that as grey, not baby blue.

1619441176626.png

I can't say I like it as grey, that's something the station didn't need more of.

I also thought of Victoria Park Station, a very similar structure and how that was handled; they added windows there; but also primary colours; bright yellow on the outside; and there's one bright red wall inside.

1619441410413.png

1619441534027.png

Photo Credit to Station Fixation

In the end, I find the existing structure pretty indefensible. Its an ugly, oppressive beast.
Do I love the new burst of colour? No.
But short of tearing the existing down and starting over, I'm not sure how you add warmth to it with a more subtle approach.
A bit of glass or some wood is not going to materially warm that monolith.
Tough call.

Last edited:
That original rendering looks much better - much closer to integrating with the existing structure while still providing a pop of colour on an otherwise drab structure. I like it. As implemented though, hell no.

Victoria Park is very well done, agreed.

I think Metrolinx should have taken a look at this before building their glass and white wearhouses that they are calling station entrences.

Personally I don't find them bad at all. Metrolinx has other sins - the design aspects of station entrances for Eglinton isn't one of them. On the other hand I can cite quite a few examples of horribly (re)done TTC entrances - the worst offender of recent year is definitely Dupont station.

AoD

Personally I don't find them bad at all. Metrolinx has other sins - the design aspects of station entrances for Eglinton isn't one of them. On the other hand I can cite quite a few examples of horribly (re)done TTC entrances - the worst offender of recent year is definitely Dupont station.

AoD
I actually like dupont. It fits in well with the old station while also looking modern. I also quite like the crosstown stations. If it was just one station in the style I don't think it'd be as nice but having the entire line share the same design language really elevates style in my opinion.

I actually like dupont. It fits in well with the old station while also looking modern. I also quite like the crosstown stations. If it was just one station in the style I don't think it'd be as nice but having the entire line share the same design language really elevates style in my opinion.

I have explained why Dupont is awfully done in the thread quite extensively. Style is something it definitely *did not* have.

AoD

I have explained why Dupont is awfully done in the thread quite extensively. Style is something it definitely *did not* have.

AoD
I agree with most of your points there but that doesn't necessarily mean it's badly done. It doesn't look like the original architecture, but more so like they built the same structure in different eras. I do think the roof could have looked better more curved but I still like it as is.

I think Metrolinx should have taken a look at this before building their glass and white wearhouses that they are calling station entrences.
The underground stations on Line 5 are fine. It's the sorry excuse for shelters on the surface section that's the problem.

I agree with most of your points there but that doesn't necessarily mean it's badly done. It doesn't look like the original architecture, but more so like they built the same structure in different eras. I do think the roof could have looked better more curved but I still like it as is.

It is badly done - it couldn't decide between replicating the delightful aspects of the original or starting from scratch, ended up only wanly mimicking the original in the most lazy, uninteresting ways with none of the characters that made it interesting. It's ugly - and a failure taking away from the interest of the original entrance without adding interest of its' own. The only saving grace is the utilitarian aspect of the build.

AoD

Back