News   Jul 15, 2024
 300     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 469     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 552     0 

TTC: Complete Subway Station Ridership Figures

Does Old Mill have any feeder bus routes? I'm assuming it doesn't because there aren't really any north-south streets in the area. Still, its low numbers surprise me a bit because it's not exactly a sprawly neighbourhood.

Interesting to note the Dufferin bus has simialr numbers to the SRT and Sheppard subway.

29 Dufferin 43,600 (05/06)
Sheppard 45,859
SRT 43,770

I'd like a Dufferin subway, with a side of Eglinton please.

Dufferin is split by the Bloor line...it's really Dufferin North and Dufferin South. A unified Finch route would have 75,000 riders a day.

Route 66 is busier than Leslie/51.

The increased ridership at the terminus end station shows extending the subway will be a very good idea...

The 66 Prince Edward hooks up at Old Mill. Not a particuarly busy route. It is also hurt by the fact that the Humber River is a significant barrier on the east.

Prince Edward is busier (at least, in the frequent-service sense) than it seems. Probably helps that it serves all the apartments around Stonegate.

Once upon a time, the Prince Edward bus also went north to Dundas--its abolition means that if you live in the deepest parts of the Kingsway and want an easy commute, tough luck, kiddo...

The 66 Prince Edward hooks up at Old Mill. Not a particuarly busy route. It is also hurt by the fact that the Humber River is a significant barrier on the east.

Originally wasn't it planned to have a subway station directly at Bloor/Prince Edward? Can you imagine what would become of the Old Mill area then- virtually 100% usage from walk-ins limited to a few high rises and a hotel/banquet hall. That too would've meant buses feeding Royal York Rd would have to divert to a terminal at Brentwood Ave near where the Kingsway Library presently stands.

I'd like a Dufferin subway, with a side of Eglinton please.
Dufferin is split by the Bloor line...it's really Dufferin North and Dufferin South. A unified Finch route would have 75,000 riders a day.

What if routes 104 and 105 re-aligned themselves to 29 Dufferin :p? Dufferin BRT would work. If the Eglinton subway were a priority, nowhere along route 29 would be more than 15 mins or less from a direct subway connection.

... and yet would still have less ridership per km than Dufferin.

And your point is...?

It's peak ridership that should determine upgrading beyond buses, not total ridership or riders per km...any old routes could be merged to create longer routes that someone would then claim is "busier than Sheppard's 4X,000 rides per day, therefore, it should get a subway."

And I'm record many times saying Dufferin could/should get a LRT/Transit City line while Finch East should not...ridership figures don't tell the whole story.

Marginal indeed, but I wonder if a little bit of it can be attributed to less people using this as an interchange station since the moving walkways were taken out?

I doubt it. The travelator has been gone now for a couple years, and before that, not working for another couple years, so people have been walking that stretch for a good long while. Besides, the walking time in that corridor takes roughly 1 1/2 minutes at a slow pace (I had to time that when doing the cost-benefit analysis to keep or ditch it), so really, for an able-bodied person, it isn't a problem at all. If you can't walk it, it's easy to just go to St George to make the line change. IIRC, about 1,800 people make the walk every day.

These numbers are probably just annual expected fluctuation in a stable station, as nothing really is going on around that part of the station.

Back