News   May 21, 2024
 81     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 410     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 358     0 

Transit expansion for a better Toronto! (Rally/Protest idea)

I don't have any experience organizing any protests, but I'll help out any way I can! PM me, and we can get this started.

MARCH 30th 7pm @ The Maria A. Shchuka Library at 1745 Eglinton Avenue West MIKE COLLE (Eglinton-Lawrence) MPP will be having an EMERGENCY TC information meeting..... PLEASE REGISTER and Come out to this important event!!!!!Constituency Office 2882 Dufferin Street Toronto , ON M6B 3S6 Tel: 416-781-2395 Fax: 416-781-4116 Email: mcolle.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org

I recall that Metrolinx was more in favour of Eglinton as subway with Mark II cars. When did they advocate for HRT?
Is there really much of a difference? It's grade separation vs. street median that's the big argument.

And if I'm not mistaken, using SRT technology was only so that Eglinton could be integrated with the SRT, the result of another TTC blunder that wanted RT revitalization instead of subway extension.

i'm saying canada should become 3rd world, or 2ed at least, maybe then we will be able to build a subways system like the asians or the spanish

But, magnitude of the increase aside, it really isn't unusual in the context of any type of public infrastructure project, transit or not.

Actually it is. At the provincial and federal levels, their auditor-generals (or equivalents) usually get an aneurism if projects have costs that see creep in double digit percentages. To have something double in cost, before the first shovel has hit the ground, in such a short time frame either says the original planners were incompetent or those implementing the project are.

I am in the CF and currently working in defence acquisition. I can assure you that no minister in the federal government will ever sign off on a costing that does not give him a reasonable confidence in the life cycle cost estimates for the next 10 or even 20 years, especially in this day and age, where money is tight. And we are talking a few percentage points either way. Given the complexities involved in defence procurement (foreign exchange risk, obsolescence management while still in the acquisition phase, technological maturity risk, legal/regulatory risks, interoperability concerns, etc.) that's a daunting task. If the bar is that high for defence procurement, one can only imagine what auditors expect for transit projects which face fewer issues. I shudder to imagine what the authorities at Queen's Park said when they heard Toronto's final tab for Transit City.

One thing completely ignored in this debate was how easy it would have been to scale up or scale down a bus and subway plan. A lot of the Transit City LRTs are all or nothing projects which can't be scaled back. It is unfortunate that economic and political risk was never taken into account. Now Toronto will suffer for it. Subways and buses could have been done, had we been honest about what we need. It would have lead to a genuine discussion (particularly with the Province) about Toronto's long term needs. There could have been a more well thought out plan for steady expansion over a number of years. Instead, I am betting the province thinks that Miller tried to pull a fast one on them with Transit City and the streetcar buy (which also left the province hanging out to dry).

i'm saying canada should become 3rd world, or 2ed at least, maybe then we will be able to build a subways system like the asians or the spanish

Toronto has a more difficult relationship with Canada than Madrid has with Spain. We are not the capital and we are not the favourite child. People in New Brunswick and Saskatchewan don't necessarily take pride in Toronto, the jewel of the nation, so investing in infrastructure in Toronto is a harder sell at the federal/central government level.

Oh, and Spain is 1st world just like us.

With the federal Liberals re-thinking their vision for the country, a national transit policy would be an excellent place to start.

While I hope people are writing their MPPs about the delay in MoveOntario, I'd also hope some people are writing Ignatief & Co.

MARCH 30th 7pm @ The Maria A. Shchuka Library at 1745 Eglinton Avenue West MIKE COLLE (Eglinton-Lawrence) MPP will be having an EMERGENCY TC information meeting..... PLEASE REGISTER and Come out to this important event!!!!!Constituency Office 2882 Dufferin Street Toronto , ON M6B 3S6 Tel: 416-781-2395 Fax: 416-781-4116 Email: mcolle.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org

Hey, you haven't told us how the meeting went. Anything else's in jeopardy or are the TTC trying to convince the public that everything's peachy-keen with TC?

With the federal Liberals re-thinking their vision for the country, a national transit policy would be an excellent place to start.

While I hope people are writing their MPPs about the delay in MoveOntario, I'd also hope some people are writing Ignatief & Co.
QFT And I'm guessing that transportation will fit as a part of the Liberal's plan.

I joined a group on Facebook that is called 'Save Transit City', Adam Giambrone suggested we join it to try and get the province to restore the $4B they pulled for transit here in the GTA.

I joined a group on Facebook that is called 'Save Transit City', Adam Giambrone suggested we join it to try and get the province to restore the $4B they pulled for transit here in the GTA.

Right, because the provincial funding was just for Transit City.

Right, because the provincial funding was just for Transit City.

Spot on. You won't win money for transit by making the fight about transit in the 416. If Adam Giambrone is leading this drive, it'll be a lost cause. If you want the money back, get Hazel McCallion to fight for the $4 billion.

That's a great idea. Getting the Feds firmly on board with transit expansion would make a lot of these projects a lot easier, and would remove some of the funding burden from Metrolinx as well.

Back