News   May 21, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 699     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 526     0 

Transit expansion for a better Toronto! (Rally/Protest idea)

With the federal Liberals re-thinking their vision for the country, a national transit policy would be an excellent place to start.

While I hope people are writing their MPPs about the delay in MoveOntario, I'd also hope some people are writing Ignatief & Co.

Practically speaking that won't do anything. Toronto's status as a Liberal safehaven(federally and provincially) virtually guarantees that when times are scarce, resources will be diverted elsewhere. If we had even a single Conservative held riding in Toronto, you can bet that Harper would have shown up with billions. But we don't and the situation is what it is. I am surprised they even pitched in for the SELRT. I really don't think the Liberals will be all that different either. Their first priority is going to be balancing the books, not sending money out to Toronto, of all places.

What needs to be worked on first is changing the public's attitude/apathy on transit issues. The politicians will follow.

That's a great idea. Getting the Feds firmly on board with transit expansion would make a lot of these projects a lot easier, and would remove some of the funding burden from Metrolinx as well.

The feds are cutting back their own spending (defence just took a $4b hit for example). It's highly unlikely they are going to be interested in spending more....especially in the electoral wasteland for the Conservatives, that is Toronto.

Instead, more pressure needs to be put on the province to make Metrolinx a more independent authority with its own fundraising powers. Let it slap on tolls, tax parking spots, impose gas taxes, etc. Give it the tools so that it can carry on transit expansion regardless of which government is in power at which level.

They don't need to take the burden off Metrolinx. They just need to give Metrolinx the tools to cope with its load.

They found $140M for roads in the GTA, but not for transit. See this link for the article.

Be careful with such statements. Those funds were largely for works outside the GTHA, much of it in rural areas without transit (where those roads are essential to residents getting around) or along major highways that need the work done. Suggesting that every road project in the province should be put under the knife to pay for transit in a Toronto is a recipe for political division.

It's exactly that kind of mentality that costs Toronto the support it needs from other parts of the province. A lot that road work needs to be done. Those funds should not be considered to be in tension with higher transit funding.

Besides, how is axing 140 million going to save the GTHA from the 4 billion dollar haircut that MO2020 is taking?

Be careful with such statements. Those funds were largely for works outside the GTHA, much of it in rural areas without transit (where those roads are essential to residents getting around) or along major highways that need the work done. Suggesting that every road project in the province should be put under the knife to pay for transit in a Toronto is a recipe for political division.

It's exactly that kind of mentality that costs Toronto the support it needs from other parts of the province. A lot that road work needs to be done. Those funds should not be considered to be in tension with higher transit funding.

Besides, how is axing 140 million going to save the GTHA from the 4 billion dollar haircut that MO2020 is taking?

Exactly. That $140 million would have paid for only 2km of LRT in Toronto. And these funds are not for new infrastructure, they're just resurfacing and repair (basic maintenance) for highways that have been neglected. Had they announced a multi-billion dollar widening of the 401, THEN we would have a very good reason to be up in arms.

And if I'm not mistaken, using SRT technology was only so that Eglinton could be integrated with the SRT, the result of another TTC blunder that wanted RT revitalization instead of subway extension.

That's given me a idea on funding for the TTC. Why not build a ICTS/ART line along Eglinton; but, have Bombardier pick up half the construction cost. Remember that Bombardier has been trying to push the ICTS/ART system for years on other city's and no doubt they where the driving force behind why Metrolinx wanted a ICTS/ART system in the first place. We get a tranist system for half the cost, Bombardier will spend money on R&D to get the ICTS/ART system working in our weather seeing that they will be on the hook half the costs and they can proudly show a working ICTS/ART they can sell to other city's.

At this point a joint venture seems to be only other option that we really haven't consider. Every idea here and else where seems to get shot down for variety of reasons.

Given that Bombardier's bid to build the Canada Line as ICTS wasn't competitive in Vancouver, I can only wonder how they could bring good value to this crap technology in Toronto.

Outsourcing partners should be decided in a cost-benefit scenario, not biased towards a proprietary technology.

Outsourcing partners should be decided in a cost-benefit scenario, not biased towards a proprietary technology.

That would make sense, but you have to show the private investor how they would benefit from such a large investment. Bombardier need to prove that ICTS/ART system works, and we need a new tranist line. If they are on the hook for half the costs then it would be in there best interest to put money into R&D rather than just selling the system and running off if it doesn't work.

A "not biased towards a proprietary technology" is nice idea, but it doesn't matter seeing that we'll be always buying from Bombardier.

I have an idea: let's build transit for significantly cheaper than it costs somehow! We will do so with privatization! And outsourcing! And fairies!

Why can't the dummies in city hall understand this.

I have an idea: let's build transit for significantly cheaper than it costs somehow! We will do so with privatization! And outsourcing! And fairies!

LMAO. Fairies.:rolleyes:

Don't worrie, there isn't any interested parties that would want to get into the transit business that Bombardier hasn't scared off.

Why can't the dummies in city hall understand this.

I.Q. is not a requirement to run for public office. :rolleyes:

That would make sense, but you have to show the private investor how they would benefit from such a large investment. Bombardier need to prove that ICTS/ART system works, and we need a new tranist line. If they are on the hook for half the costs then it would be in there best interest to put money into R&D rather than just selling the system and running off if it doesn't work.

A "not biased towards a proprietary technology" is nice idea, but it doesn't matter seeing that we'll be always buying from Bombardier.

If Bombardier is literally going to take a loss on this and build it for below cost, then I wouldn't object, but I somehow doubt that's going to happen.

If Bombardier is literally going to take a loss on this and build it for below cost, then I wouldn't object, but I somehow doubt that's going to happen.

Then we really ran out of idea on how to restore funding for transit. There hasn't been a idea here than hasn't been shot down. What else is there???

Back