News   Aug 15, 2024
 169     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 327     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 568     0 

Transit City: Sheppard East Debate

Actually, there's an idea! Import foreign laborers and let them work for a lower wage than minimum wage (assuming they're not canadian citizens means they don't apply; I doubt it, but you could probably pass it at minimum wage) which would still be better than at home (at least India and China,) and then give them a leg up on Canadian citizenship when they're done work! Probably would never happen, but it would be awesome! :D

Works for the US Army and the French Foreign Legion. Do we want that model for the TTC?

And exactly who has proposed building 7 subway lines?
We've had talk already that Sheppard East, Eglinton, Don Mills, Yonge, and the SRT should be subways ... that's 5. I'm sure as the other Transit city lines come closer to fruition we'll here more suggestions (heck, we've also had suggestion that subway be built along Sheppard West instead of the LRT on Finch West).

5 extensions (Sheppard, Danforth, Yonge, Spadina, Bloor) and 2 new lines (DRL, Eglinton).

When you say a subway along Sheppard West do you mean the common suggestion of extending it to Downsview? Or do you mean beyond that like I did hypothetically to Woodbine Centre and the Airport? I see that as a long-term project. Downsview to Scarborough Centre is what needs to be built for now.

Toronto has 3 subway lines...we will never, ever, ever need more than 6 (DRL, Eglinton, Queen), and we may not even need 6 depending on where the other 4 or 5 run. 7 additional subway lines would be silly and it's obvious (except to snivelling pedants) that a handful of 6km subway extensions are not "lines."

I wouldn't say that "we will never, ever need more than 6 subways," but the City probably won't for at least the next 30 years. As I said, I think Hurontario should be Subway rather than LRT (this is desperately needs to be subway instead of LRT) and Highway 7 could have some viability depending on how far the development plans come along.

I'm not quite sure, but it's a very important transit corridor through Mississauga/Peel. It most certainly needs the speed, and if transit is to improve in the region, it'll need a better N/S corridor to rely on than LRT can deliver.

I'm not quite sure, but it's a very important transit corridor through Mississauga/Peel. It most certainly needs the speed, and if transit is to improve in the region, it'll need a better N/S corridor to rely on than LRT can deliver.
If speed is the issue, instead of 23 km/hr LRT, or 30 km/hr subway, perhaps 45 km/hr Vancouver-style Skytrain would be more appropriate!

I think Hurontario will be fine with LRT. When LRT ridership takes off, they can build a subway underneath if it's needed. But I think that's far off in the future. It'll eventually happen though, like it did on Yonge Street. But I think suggesting a subway on Hurontario RIGHT NOW is just overkill. It makes sense on Dundas or Bloor due to the existing subway, and same for Sheppard/Danforth/Yonge, but Hurontario isn't connected to the subway network, so it just doesn't make sense to me. First extend the Bloor line to MCC/Square One. Then we can think about subway along Hurontario.

I agree for the most part, but I'd still put a Hurontario subway into a 20 year timeframe (extend B-D somehow to MCC, then do Hurontario all within 20 years.) If they get really coordinated, they could start the B-D, then start Hurontario so they are completed at the same time, or within a properly staggered timeframe.

But I think that Hurontario is quite an important transit corridor for Mississauga and Peel. The ridership may not show right now, but it really isn't bad (I don't have the numbers, but isn't it in the 30k/day range?) especially since it's kilometers away from a true rapid transit route. Connecting with regional rail Milton and Lakeshore lines, as well as an extended B-D (which would really act as a local line,) would make the line very well used, and definitely deserving of a fast, high capacity technology. LRT can do that, providing a better service than bus, but I think that subway's a better fit for the corridor.

I agree for the most part, but I'd still put a Hurontario subway into a 20 year timeframe (extend B-D somehow to MCC, then do Hurontario all within 20 years.) If they get really coordinated, they could start the B-D, then start Hurontario so they are completed at the same time, or within a properly staggered timeframe.

But I think that Hurontario is quite an important transit corridor for Mississauga and Peel. The ridership may not show right now, but it really isn't bad (I don't have the numbers, but isn't it in the 30k/day range?) especially since it's kilometers away from a true rapid transit route. Connecting with regional rail Milton and Lakeshore lines, as well as an extended B-D (which would really act as a local line,) would make the line very well used, and definitely deserving of a fast, high capacity technology. LRT can do that, providing a better service than bus, but I think that subway's a better fit for the corridor.

I don't think Hurontario's ridership is anywhere near a subway. If it was, there'd be buses every 30 seconds like on Sheppard before the subway or Dufferin. No, subway is more in the 30 year timespan. The at-surface LRT is planned now, and if THAT is overwhelmed, then we can build a subway beneath it, a la Bloor. If the numbers backed it, I'd say sure. But i don't think they do. And I say that as a heavily pro-Mississauga person who was born in Mississauga Hospital. Extend the Bloor line to MCC. That's our first step.

I can agree with that. Since the subway would probably go from Port Credit to around Eglinton, a LRT would still be quite useful if it goes all the way to Brampton.

But I'd like to point out that with Bloor, it was still in the time that streetcars were a main source of transportation. I'd even say that they're comparable to busses today, so I think that the "there was a streetcar on Bloor before the subway" argument is a bit redundant.

Back