News   Jul 16, 2024
 487     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 537     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 669     2 

Transit City: Sheppard East Debate

but you won't ever catch me using the SELRT for cross-city travel and methinks thousands will feel the same way once its a proven failure.
I'm not sure your understanding the plan. SELRT doesn't go across the city; it starts at Don Mills Road near Scarborough, and only goes into Scarborough. No one would use it for cross-city travel. But I can't for a second imagine that those currently using the bus along that route, would want to keep using bus; and that it wouldn't attract a few trips away from other routes, or from cars if vehcile travel times increase as much as has been forecast.

I'm not sure your understanding the plan. SELRT doesn't go across the city; it starts at Don Mills Road near Scarborough, and only goes into Scarborough. No one would use it for cross-city travel. But I can't for a second imagine that those currently using the bus along that route, would want to keep using bus; and that it wouldn't attract a few trips away from other routes, or from cars if vehcile travel times increase as much as has been forecast.

If it's part of Sheppard-Finch it will be a crosstown line ... once the extensions are done, it will be only a two hour trip from Pearson to the zoo

If it's part of Sheppard-Finch it will be a crosstown line ... once the extensions are done, it will be only a two hour trip from Pearson to the zoo
Good grief - no one is going to take that; and I don't think anyone would expect one to take that.

The 501 origin-destination studies clearly show very few people travel the entire length of the route; to the point that almost 2/3 of the people on that route who board west of Humber get off west of Humber ... with only 2% getting past Church and none getting past Kingston Road! No one things that many passengers are going to go that far! How many BD passengers who board east of Main make it to Islington?

Well obviously I meant that as in using the combined Finch-Sheppard Line or worse using it as one of several routes I'd had to use to get right across the northern 416 (e.g. Steeles West bus, then Yonge subway, then Sheppard subway, then SELRT, then a transfer at Markham/Sheppard to MTC or SCC and maybe another bus transfer after that).

That this much money is being spent and yet offers no real solution for commuters speaks volumes of just how bad this plan is.

Well obviously I meant that as in using the combined Finch-Sheppard Line
TTC has given no indication that there is going to be a combined line; and very little indication that they will even build east of Finch. That seems to be a Metrolinx concept ... which if it ever does happen, I expect will be more a precursor to a Finch East and Don Mills LRT, than actually the intent to operator a through service along Sheppard, up Don Mills, and along Finch.

That this much money is being spent and yet offers no real solution for commuters speaks volumes of just how bad this plan is.
And perhaps if true (though I think that is overstated) that would be the basis for simply cancelling the entire project and returning the money to Ontario and Canada to help deal with their deficits. However the objections here, seem also to be coupled with the suggestion that even more money should be spent instead!

Good grief - no one is going to take that; and I don't think anyone would expect one to take that.
I agree, but the Metrolinx RTP seems to position this as a crosstown route. It's mentioned as an Airport connection, for example.

This is the problem; the plan has all sorts of lines that do things but never identifies what the goals of each route actually are. We haven't had that debate over whether we should be spending money on improved reliability on local routes via LRT conversion or on higher order medium distance routes.

I agree, but the Metrolinx RTP seems to position this as a crosstown route. It's mentioned as an Airport connection, for example.
I think many would agree that Metrolinx seems to be off base here ... and if it were not for the extra 7 km of LRT being all very useful (assuming the Don Mills LRT is built, and a Finch East LRT goes a bit further than Don Mills Road one day), I'd be jumping up and down at the insanity of it.

I'd argue that without the Finch Portion, you have even less of a case for the SELRT. Take out that portion and a subway extension coupled with curbside bus lanes would make look much more feasible.

My problem with the SELRT is that I don't think it'll do anything to relieve congestion on Finch or Steeles or Ellemere. There is no way somebody is going to bus it from Finch or Steeles to Sheppard just to take a tram that goes 5 km/h faster than the bus they are on. Soif you want to achieve that shift in your modal split (by attracting all drivers not just the ones on Sheppard to take transit), than this does nothing.

I'd argue that without the Finch Portion, you have even less of a case for the SELRT. Take out that portion and a subway extension coupled with curbside bus lanes would make look much more feasible.
Except that there is no money for subway. The budget for Sheppard East only gets you to Warden ... Birchmount if your really cheap.

My problem with the SELRT is that I don't think it'll do anything to relieve congestion on Finch or Steeles or Ellemere.
Nor would I ... it's not supposed to relieve those streets (Steeles?!); it to provide faster transport along Sheppard, especially as future congestion further delays vehicles.

Which is why there are plans for LRT or BRT on Steeles in Metrolinx's plan; and talk of BRT on Ellesemere. Presumablyt he Finch East LRT would be extended past Don Mills eventually.

Except that there is no money for subway. The budget for Sheppard East only gets you to Warden ... Birchmount if your really cheap.

Let's extend it to Warden or Birchmount then. What's the problem with that? And then finish it to STC when money is available?

Let's extend it to Warden or Birchmount then. What's the problem with that? And then finish it to STC when money is available?
Because it doesn't deal with the what the LRT is designed to do; deal with congestion issues over much of Sheppard East, and at the same time overbuilds what is necessary.

If your going to spend that much money on subway, wouldn't it make more sense to build it somewhere where it's actually needed? Like the DRL? Or Yonge north?

Because it doesn't deal with the what the LRT is designed to do; deal with congestion issues over much of Sheppard East, and at the same time overbuilds what is necessary.

If your going to spend that much money on subway, wouldn't it make more sense to build it somewhere where it's actually needed? Like the DRL? Or Yonge north?

Yonge North and DRL are both on track. I don't consider it an either or proposition. And the SELRT does nothing for Sheppard East anyway. No one will get out of their cars for it.

Do people think Sheppard is overbuilt now? If yes, then yes an extension would be overbuilt as well. If you consider Sheppard a success, then no an extension is not overbuilt.

Subway extensions are needed on ALL OUR SUBWAY LINES!!!

Only to a point; one of these studes was the one to used to justify Sheppard having priority ...

What credibility can you give to a study saying that Sheppard can have a “higher” priority over Eglinton?

The peak point is already subway; so it already has the capacity...

It really shows you studied engineering… this project doesn’t address many factors such as network connectivity, speed, economic growth, social impact, etc… You’re looking at this with only numbers… only numbers, no common sense

If Sheppard east doesn’t justify a subway, explain how Morningside justify and LRT let alone the zoo… Can your numbers explain that logic?

How do you explain that many transit hubs (downsview to STC) on the same route will be link by a 22 kph streetcar which will still require many transfert a billion dollar later?

Which only demonstrates that appropriate technology was not chosen for those other lines ... or that they were constructed in a different era when the subway was a more economical choice. While an interesting point, it doesn't provide any information to provide input into future decisions.

Are you serious???
So any cities across the globe that do not meet the TTC’s “standards” for subway got it wrong?
Everyone but the TTC are incompetent for choosing subways?

Montreal who completed the blue line in 1988 (north Crosstown) were wrong? Right…they should have built a streetcar on Jean-Talon instead…

Because the passenger demand can easily be met by a lot cheaper modes, allowing a lot more km to be built for the same $.

What about speed?
What about finding ways to built subways at a lower cost?
What about SELRT being overprice?
What about BRT east of Agincourt to cut cost instead of building a streetcar to Morningside?
Demand is one thing but you don’t address speed, transfers and practicality…

Because there is already subway west of Don Mills that can handle whatever east of Don Mills throws at it.

Really and I thought the goal of public transit was to increase ridership… Every major city are finding ways to convince people to leave their cars at home and take public transit and you would be satisfied with that “incomplete line” that won’t do anything to get people out of their cars east of Don Mills. If you think that people will leave their cars for a streetcar, you are seriously dreaming.

Downsview to Yonge is east of the LRT project; I really don't see the relevance; it's not like having a subway from Yonge to Downsview is suddenly going to double the number of people travelling from Don Mills to Victoria Park. Besides, they did study it in Metrolinx BCA report where they noted that extending the subway to Downsview (Option 4) would results in a peak demand of 5,100 passengers per hour per direction on the LRT east of Don Mills; compare to to the 5,000 passengers per hour predicted for the selected Option 3. In other words, extending to Downsview will only add 100 passengers per hour east of Don Mills, so not a signficant issue.

Talked like a true politician who never or rarely use Sheppard West of Yonge Street.
I use it “EVERYDAY” at peak hours.

Streetcar won’t fixe it at all. You cannot take another lane off Sheppard between Yonge and Bathurst. It’s to narrow. Circulation is heavy and although the TTC tries to put as much buses as possible, they cannot meet an acceptable quality of service. Connectivity and practicality points towards the subway extension as the only option. Paying 600 millions to convert the whole thing is wasting money.

People will get out of their way and travel to go to a subway station, not to a streetcar stop. Saying that an extra 100 passengers per hour would use the subway over LRT is…”stretching it”

When the Laval Extension was open in Laval, the STM predicted 35 000 passengers…they got 60 000 which badly overcrowded the line with no short term solutions to fix the problem except buying new trains. It shows that the STM underestimated how far people were willing to travel and how much people were willing to change their habits to get to a subway station.

Where has TTC said 30,000 is needed for subway? The EA I referenced earlier clearly showed that at 15,000 subway was the only option, and that 30,000 is the capacity for subway.
Perhaps someone stuck their foot in their mouth? The studies are documents, and are quite clear.

I think the TTC contradicted themselves period…

I can't for a minute imagine that this would double the usage! Particularly as they will have the Markham GO Train running regularily to Agincourt, Kennedy, and Union by then! And if you take that into account, the demand might actually decrease!

And no one works at NYCC or STC…
Agincourt is underused. Sure people are using the Go, YRT and VIVA to get to Finch Stn but what about those who would rather drive on Yonge street than use the (GO+TTC BUS+SUBWAY)?
Do you think they will leave their cars for (GO+LRT+SUBWAY) or (GO+SUBWAY)?

Of course it won’t affect those working Downtown but those working in North York and Scarborough…Absolutely.

You’re stretching...

Not at all, Having live in the suburbs myself in the past, I’ve seen this many times. A subway line’s ridership will always increase faster than a streetcar if you take into account all the growth and projects that it attracts. Sheppard Subway and North York Center Station already proved that. Even Downsview Station is doing the same. Once in the middle of nowhere, it will become the centre of many residential condo towers.

It’s really a point of view. Some wants the ridership there and now…Others use the subway to develop an area… Miller won’t build subway if his “standards” aren’t met. Others would build it to attract business, resident and give better service to those already using it and attract those near or farther. LRT is not even close to what a subway can bring in the long term.

Point of view…sure
Telling me there’s a “universal rule” about building subway that Miller have miraculously figure out over the incompetent europeens and Asians who are building even today…That’s stretching it.

The TTC 5000 projection dates back to when they were trying to justify the subway extension to SRT ... explain that one!

In 2001 they projected the ridership for the extension to STC would be 8400. If they did the study like they did today, they took in consideration the Sheppard Corridor area only. TTC official said “at 10 000, you’re in the subway technology”. IF Sheppard East of Don Mills grows like it did west of Don Mills it would exceed 10 000. IF the 190 buses keep on increasing year after years, what would a subway do?

I think the best thing for Toronto is to quickly build what is funded (before some government that just realised it has a huge deficit wants to pull it back); obtain funding for Jane and Don Mills, and perhaps Lakeshore West; push ahead with the DRL based on the outcome of the Environmental Assessment that has just started. Extend Yonge subway. Move ahead with GO and Metrolinx's commuter rail and regional express rail proposals quickly. And then in 2020 when Transit City is complete, and hopefully Yonge and the start of the DRL are under construction, sit down and figure out what to do next based on updated traffic studies, population densities, etc.

No “rapid” north crosstown is a mistake…period

Last edited:

There is...It's being wasted at building streecars in the middle of nowhere...HUGE difference

Nor would I ... it's not supposed to relieve those streets (Steeles?!); it to provide faster transport along Sheppard, especially as future congestion further delays vehicles.

Which is why there are plans for LRT or BRT on Steeles in Metrolinx's plan; and talk of BRT on Ellesemere. Presumablyt he Finch East LRT would be extended past Don Mills eventually.

Faster???
22Kph+transfers?

Last edited:

Back