News   Jul 16, 2024
 381     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 494     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Transit City: Sheppard East Debate

The feds would be happy. A great excuse pull out of a Toronto project.

Exactly. Maybe this is why we go decades between major transit projects.

And I would hope Smitherman is aware of the major details of the Sheppard LRT considering his government recently pledged almost half a billion dollars to fund it. Given that he was (and is) the Minister of Infrastructure...

Exactly. Maybe this is why we go decades between major transit projects.

And I would hope Smitherman is aware of the major details of the Sheppard LRT considering his government recently pledged almost half a billion dollars to fund it. Given that he was (and is) the Minister of Infrastructure...

and why would he deny the funds? because it's too slow.
He signs cheques, he doesn't decide on how a project has to be done...

As a mayor, it's a whole new game. If he's elected, now it's up to him.

I find the NIMBY label to be highly disrespectful, rude and inaccurate. Those of us who are against the Sheppard East LRT are not NIMBYs. NIMBY = not in my backyard. If anything we're YIMBYs because we WANT the Sheppard Subway to be completed.

NIMBY = not in my backyard. If anything we're YIMBYs because we WANT the Sheppard Subway to be completed.
But that's exactly what NIMBYs do. They don't say no, instead they propose insanely expensive alternates that wouldn't get built.

Besides, one can be a NIMBY for many reasons ... but that is exactly what you are. I'm surprised you would object to the term. Just because you want a different project built, doesn't mean your a NIMBY for this project.

But that's exactly what NIMBYs do. They don't say no, instead they propose insanely expensive alternates that wouldn't get built.

Besides, one can be a NIMBY for many reasons ... but that is exactly what you are. I'm surprised you would object to the term. Just because you want a different project built, doesn't mean your a NIMBY for this project.

do you live on the Sheppard corridor?

*AHEM* NIMBY = Not In My Backyard. It means that you don't want the project to be in your community, for whatever reason. The thing is that I'm sure a bunch of people here would love to have a LRT going to their community. But the people here aren't going "I don't want a LRT going through my backyard, which happens to be Sheppard along the route of the LRT." They're saying "I don't want a LRT along Sheppard because subway really makes so much more sense." There's a difference.

No, but I work walking distance from it. I used to live near it - back in the 1980s.

The thing is that the 190 Bus link between Don Mills and STC makes more sense than a LRT that doesn't even stop at STC...

Lrt=23kph?

Bus= I'll take my chance with the occasional drivers (more than usual) that will drive faster than 25kph and top 30kph...

If I had to choose between:

1 billions and LRT
vs
a few millions on extra Bus 190 and reserve lane and more frequent service

What do you think people living and using in that corridor will choose???

You expect someone making a deputation to a TTC meeting, to reverse something that they approved unanimously way back in June 2008, have got full provincial and federal funding for, and is in the process of being tendered, would get support?

Whatever the merits be, or not be, I think that claiming that a nobody could walk into a TTC meeting and get support on such a huge reversal of a decision by the same commissioners is extremely naive.

I'd think that modest changes to the plan will not void the federal contribution. For example, if the section between Don Mills and Agincourt is upgraded to subway, whereas east of Agincourt remains LRT, then the federal 270 M will remain on the table.

If the changes are more dramatic (no Sheppard LRT at all), then the federal contribution might be lost.

^^ And just to clear things up, Subway can handle a much higher capacity and will be able to provide that 30 km/h average all the time.

Maglev trains can get speeds over 500 km/h. Clearly this is the best choice for Sheppard and we shouldn't settle for anything less.

What is insanely expensive about having a true rapid transit line, that's grade separated in an exclusive ROW, capable of sustaining 180 second headways, having a carrying capacity of up to 1500 passengers per trip, that terminates at major trip generators on both ends guaranteeing the line pays for itself in forecasted revenue within a decade's time?

Would you prefer that or an LRT line that somehow misses several closeby important nodes (SCC, Centennial, Malvern), runs slower, accomodates less riders and is ineffectual as a northern Crosstown route? Like Ansem suggests, even turning the 190 into a dedicated BRT service is a better allocation of funds than what's been approved. A bad idea that'll still take years to build and may not generate much improvement over the 85 bus it's replacing, may be something worth renegotiating with the contractor over.

Thanks for the suggestions all. I have finished drafting a 2.5 page letter and accompanying summary briefing note to send out to Smitherman. It covers TC, SELRT and the SRT specifically. Having briefed a few ministers in my lifetime I am fully aware of how little detail they can get at times. The goal here was to let him know that there are downsides and alternatives to TC. If he uses the info then great. If he doean't, at least I tried. As for a deputation...I think City Council is one giant circle jerk that pretty much agrees with whatever the mayor says. When councillors from Scarborough pick the SRT over a subway, you know how loyal they are to their constituents. The only hope is a different mayor.

Back