News   Jul 16, 2024
 398     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 510     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Transit City: Sheppard East Debate

I was on Steve Munro's website and he had some news that might help with the funding for transit on Sheppard East. The feds are announcing that they are setting up a permanent national transit funding stategy.

If such an agency such as that were in place it wouldn't matter who was in power their would always be funding available for reasonable transit proposals. Cities would still have to invest in EA's to show the viability of different projects, but, it wouldn't be such a political song and dance to drum up funding for different projects. If such an agency is in place maybe the Sheppard Subway would get its needed funding to complete it.

My wife and I used to live on that corridor- close to Meadovale- and I always wanted that line to extend to the Agincourt GO station- I still have interest in it even though we don't live there anymore. The project I hope will get funding now is an island type of bus platform for Warden Station. It is a heavily used station and needs as much attention as the Sheppard East corridor is getting.

I hope this federal transit agency becomes reality and Canada invests as much in public transit as Spain has in the last couple of decades. I read a lot of good ideas on this site and other sites I go to and I hope that some of these projects catches the eye of someone in politics and the bring the proposal to this new agency.

I give it a few years. Regardless of who is in power, we will probably end up with some kind of national transit strategy down the road. Even for the Conservatives, with the rise of western Canadian cities, urban transit has become an issue. They probably just don't know how to pull it off without looking like they completely caved to normally leftist mass transit advocates.

As for Sheppard, I really do believe that a subway extension makes sense. Even if it's not until the GO station. If they just reach Warden (and with the budget of the SELRT they could) than bus lanes would suffice the rest of the way. Reaching Warden alone would put the bulk of Sheppard East's population on the subway line. Adding 2km to Agincourt would pretty much max out the potential of Sheppard East. Going to Scarborough Town Centre from there would just be a bonus (from Agincourt, the 190 would be really quick) and more of a boon to regional connectivity.

^^ I think they might have enough to get to Agincourt. If they don't, they should just ask for more funding and put it to there. It'd save an annoying transfer for a bunch of customers, and would connect with the Go station. Then, funding can come another day for a quick extension to STC.

I was on Steve Munro's website and he had some news that might help with the funding for transit on Sheppard East. The feds are announcing that they are setting up a permanent national transit funding stategy.

No...The Toronto Board of Trade said it would be great if a national transit funding strategy is created and is calling for one to be set up

If Sheppard was extended to Agincourt GO station then ppl would be then arguing that it should connect to STC.

I would agree. really how many ppl are going to transfer from Go to subway. Very little outside of Union station. There are more ppl who need a subway at STC. But then really shouldnt we be expanding the BD line not the sheppard line. The exteneded sheppard line will cost more and over crowd yonge even more.

They both need to be done, but, yes, the Danforth extension to STC is clearly more important, especially since the RT is falling apart as we speak. Unfortunately, the city has chosen to not extend the Danforth line and will instead spend more money to serve less people while retaining the transfer at Kennedy. Forget about Rome...all roads now must lead to Malvern.

An 'Agincourt' station featuring an intersection of two GO lines and a subway line would end up being quite busy...that would be great service to a huge chunk of the eastern GTA.

They both need to be done, but, yes, the Danforth extension to STC is clearly more important, especially since the RT is falling apart as we speak.
I think they're both equally needed, but Kennedy-STC is more urgent. I get the feeling that the whole line's going to explode if it's left for another 5 years.

And if they extend the B-D to STC, they won't have to worry about the trouble closing the SRT for repairs and reconstruction.

An 'Agincourt' station featuring an intersection of two GO lines and a subway line would end up being quite busy...that would be great service to a huge chunk of the eastern GTA.
Yep. Sheppard Subway, Stouffville Go (all-day service starting this year,) and Midtown Line (maybe starting with all-day service,) would make a very nice little transit hub, and would get loads of traffic. If the line's extended to STC, it just gets more and more useful, since there's a bunch of different RT trips and connections that can be made.

This should be an interesting sight as Don Mills station's platform gets extended easterly to facilitate the proposed subway/LRT underground connection ~

Click to Enlarge Thumbnail

They both need to be done, but, yes, the Danforth extension to STC is clearly more important, especially since the RT is falling apart as we speak. Unfortunately, the city has chosen to not extend the Danforth line and will instead spend more money to serve less people while retaining the transfer at Kennedy. Forget about Rome...all roads now must lead to Malvern.

If only they could expropriate and tear down those two hideous towers on the south side of Sheppard Ave. across from the current Agincourt GO station... that location is the perfect spot to build such a hub for three transit lines. :)
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.as...0 Sheppard Ave. E., Scarborough, ON&encType=1

If only they could expropriate and tear down those two hideous towers on the south side of Sheppard Ave. across from the current Agincourt GO station... that location is the perfect spot to build such a hub for three transit lines. :)

Why would that even be necessary if the interchange can be made underground? There's no reason why a cut-n-cover LRT and/or subway station couldn't work in this location and would save money in the long run from not having to relocate the GO station or bridge Sheppard Avenue (road overpass/rail underpass).

Why would that even be necessary if the interchange can be made underground? There's no reason why a cut-n-cover LRT and/or subway station couldn't work in this location and would save money in the long run from not having to relocate the GO station or bridge Sheppard Avenue (road overpass/rail underpass).

The Sheppard/GO crossing needs to be done no matter what happens.

Agincourt would have to be moved...the intersection should be, you know, where the lines actually intersect. The LRT screws up this situation, though (yet another wonderful feature of this wonderful project).

Back