694     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
I have copied and pasted Rob Ford's My Weekly Report - week ending January 27, 2012 from his Facebook page at this link:

My Weekly Report - week ending January 27, 2012
by Rob Ford on Saturday, January 28, 2012 at 6:30am

Dear Friends,

From 1910 to 2007, the City of Toronto has based its transit planning around subway lines (built or anticipated). It is now time that we get back to this sort of transit planning to make certain residents will continue to have rapid transit as a mode of commuting.

For the past 50 of those 100 years of planning transit around subways, the Yonge-University and Bloor-Danforth lines have continually served as arteries that take in thousands of people each day from near-by surface routes and get them to their destinations quickly.

We are now at a juncture where we must expand on our established transit infrastructure to ensure people can continue getting to where they want to go in a fast and efficient way.

As you know, I have continually pushed for an underground LRT that will span from Jane/Black Creek to Kennedy Station. I have done this because residents have repeatedly stressed that they do not want streetcars that are marginally faster than busses and take up lanes of traffic. Lastly, it is important that Scarborough, the fastest growing region in Toronto, is finally provided with a rapid transit line that can help move its 625,000 residents faster.

In the coming days you are likely to hear some comments from City Hall that will suggest we should go back to Transit City. Proponents will argue that Transit City is an effective way to get around Toronto. I argue, however, that the best way to move people across Toronto is with rapid transit - which you simply cannot have with the surface rail lines.

Metrolinx estimates that the average trip for a rider will be reduced by half on the underground Eglinton Crosstown. Scarborough transit riders on an underground line could travel from Laird Avenue to Kennedy Station in about 14 minutes. This is a vast improvement from the estimated travel time of 24 minutes on a surface rail line.

It is also important to remember that an underground rapid transit line has considerable savings for taxpayers. Underground lines and the vehicles that travel on them require less maintenance since they are spared the wear and tear of Canadian summers and winters. This will result in infrastructure that lasts longer and keeps the capital replacement costs down.

While Executive Committee waits for a report from Toronto Community Housing on how $222 million in revenue from TCHC property sales can be appropriately applied to fixing the City's housing stock , I will be visiting TCHC buildings with staff to show Toronto why we must move ahead with the sale of some community housing properties. Yesterday, I visited 101 Humber with City and TCHC staff to make sure they are aware of where this money needs to go. I will be conducting more visits to these units over the next few weeks to reinforce why City Council must move ahead with this initiative. Please visit http://www.torontosun.com/2012/01/26/asdf to get a more detailed account of my visit.

Today (Saturday January 28th) at 1:00 PM at Eglinton Square (located at Eglinton and Victoria Park) I invite you to join Councillor Ford and me for our second Community Walk for my "Cut the Waist Challenge". Please feel free to join us and share your thoughts on why you think we need more rapid transit in Scarborough.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Yours truly,

Mayor Rob Ford

Again with the "residents have repeatedly stressed that they do not want streetcars that are marginally faster than busses and take up lanes of traffic". Rob Ford's phobia comes up again. It's light rail for Transit City, and light rail are about the same speed as heavy rail and will NOT take up lanes of traffic. As well, the "residents" he seems to speak to are only those who agree with him, if they don't agree with him they are ignored or passed over as pinkos.

what a fiasco!!!

Rob Ford was questioned this morning, after he did his weigh in... a reporter asked... and yet again his answer is "the people want subways", "I was elected on my subways promise" and "I was in Scarborough this past weekend and everyone kept telling me they want subways".

IMO... Toronto was already lagging in public transportation infrastructure, with Rob Ford in office it puts Toronto even further behind and I'll even venture to say it adds another decade to any plan being built.

While Sheppard has no demand for its own subway line, if completed as a subway, with a connection to the Bloor/Danforth line, it could eventually be part of a ring line that circles the city and provides a much needed spine that feeds other methods of transit. Not all is lost on Sheppard and it can be made to become an asset after all.
First, people will have to admit the line is not useless, and that it belongs on the long-term project list. It might/should not be the first priority of extension, but if/when money does get thrown onto the line, people shouldn't whine about how other corridors should instead receive the funding; because, the money is just being used to complete part of an overall plan.

Funny, someone posted an article on humantransit.org where Ford said the TC plan would only save 8 minutes. Now he says it is 4...

http://www.mytowncrier.ca/eglinton-envy.html

He goes on to say that building it underground would cut the time in half. He doesn't consider the hybrid option where it is built on the surface, but with the underground spacing and signal priority, which could provide the same speed as the underground option with the cost of the surface option (maybe less, since you wouldn't build as many stops).

It's light rail for Transit City, and light rail are about the same speed as heavy rail

Come on...light rail in the middle of the street is nowhere near as fast as grade-separated heavy rail. Is the St. Clair streetcar as fast as the Bloor subway?

Come on...light rail in the middle of the street is nowhere near as fast as grade-separated heavy rail. Is the St. Clair streetcar as fast as the Bloor subway?

Yes, lets be real here. TC at-grade non separated light rail was supposed to go at 20 km/h. Now, if we implement it properly, it could be 40 km/h and up, but thats not what was proposed.

Come on...light rail in the middle of the street is nowhere near as fast as grade-separated heavy rail.
It is with the same station spacing. Your looking at maybe 28-30 km/hr versus maybe 32-34 km/hr? So you save maybe 1 minute from Don Mills Road to Kennedy.

Is the St. Clair streetcar as fast as the Bloor subway?
Is the station spacing of the St. Clair streetcar the same as the Bloor subway?

Metrolinx estimates that the average trip for a rider will be reduced by half on the underground Eglinton Crosstown. Scarborough transit riders on an underground line could travel from Laird Avenue to Kennedy Station in about 14 minutes. This is a vast improvement from the estimated travel time of 24 minutes on a surface rail line.

Yes, lets be real here. TC at-grade non separated light rail was supposed to go at 20 km/h. Now, if we implement it properly, it could be 40 km/h and up, but thats not what was proposed.

Both of those figures are wrong.

@unimaginative2

Surface proposed stops:

Laird
Leslie
Don Mills
Ferrand
Wynford
Bermondsey
Victoria Park
Pharmacy
Lebovic
Warden
Birchmount
Ionview
Kennedy

Underground LRT stops:

Laird
Leslie
Don Mills
Wynford
Bermundsey
Victoria Park
Warden
Birchmount
Kennedy

Going underground doesn't make the line magically faster.

If the stop spacing was exactly the same Id suggest that the above ground LRT would be the same if not faster to commute through since there would be no stairs to navagate.

Im deffinately pro subway (I live beside a subway station) but I cant be for subways if LRT could be implimented with the same stop spacing and potential traffic light row. I love Streetcars, But I HATE that the stop spacing is sooo close together. I hate the bus but I love how stop spacing on express routes is far enough apart. LRT could be a hybrid of all these technologys.

I hate the bus but I love how stop spacing on express routes is far enough apart.
Bingo ... it's all about the spacing.

Which is why TTC has an express bus in rush-hour that averages over 41 km/hr (50 km/hr off-peak). That's faster than any subway line we've got.

Last edited:
Joe Mihevec website at this link on Transit City Still City Policy:

Transit City Still City Policy
joemihevc on January 30, 2012 — Leave a Comment

Councillor Joe Mihevc has released a legal opinion which concludes that Mayor Ford acted outside of his authority when he cancelled Transit City in December 2010. Further, Mayor Ford did not have the authority to act upon a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Province without the direction and support of Council.

“Mayor Ford did not have the authority to cancel Transit City, to direct the TTC to develop a new transit plan or to sign the MOU purporting to establish the intent of the City of Toronto to end Transit City and make alternative transportation plans,” concludes Freya Kristjanson, partner at Cavalluzzo Hayes Shilton McIntyre & Cornish LLP. “The Mayor of Toronto cannot act without the approval and authority of City Council in these matters.”

Kristjanson will be on hand to speak to her findings.

Given this legal advice, Councillor Mihevc calls on the Mayor and/or the City Manager to bring the matter immediately to City Council for discussion and resolution. “In the meantime,” Councillor Mihevc notes, “Transit City is the official council position and no staff either at the City or the TTC should be working on anything else.”

The legal opinion is available here:

Transit City Legal Opinion

Transit City MOU

I would download the PDFs from the above links before commenting and actually reading BOTH of them.

Well if Ford went along Jane the people there too would say they want subways and if he went to Dufferin or Eglinton they to would say subway, etc. So he needs to stop repeating such nonsense like only Scarborough wants subways because most parts of the city do to. And he was not elected to build a Sheppard subway like he keeps saying. A DRL is needed way more that Sheppard. And that letter mentions the savings to infrastructure since the trains will be underground - well then he needs to admit the cost that vehicles cause to roads that he refuses to admit since there are thousands of those on the roads

Back