1.4K     5 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
the thing about transit city is that it was going to be a network when it was fully complete. now we are basically building transit only east of the university line and east of jane on eglinton. sheppard, eglinton, and a drl for the central and east residents and basically nothing for the west residents. finch west and waterfront west is really getting screwed when this whole thing is done. oh wait the west gets the air port link. yeahhhhh to $20 trips! seriously the future ttc maps you will see in the subways 20 years from now will heavily be central and east favoured. i wonder how long it will take the west part of the city to figure that out.

That's exactly the problem with the west.. Nobody ever really puts much thought into it. Waterfront West (can't blame this on Ford) was cancelled (rather delayed past 2025) by Miller, Eglinton West cancelled in favour of Sheppard East, Eglinton West LRT deferred (by Miller again).. Finch is the only thing you could really pin on Ford, but it would barely touch Etobicoke itself.

Then again, where I live, I can be downtown in 15 mins using an Express bus or about the same using a car. I'd say I'm one of the blessed suburbanites.

The councillors who follow Rob Ford on city council are suffering from “Stockholm syndrome”. Stockholm syndrome is a “paradoxical psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and have positive feelings towards their captors, sometimes to the point of defending them. These feelings are generally considered irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims, who essentially mistake a lack of abuse from their captors for an act of kindness” (from Wikipedia).

The councillors do not want to stand up to Rob Ford, to stay on his good side and not risk being punished by him. They remain hostages under him, but could free themselves, if they get the courage to do so. Hopefully, they will get the courage to overcome him.

Rob Ford is transit illiterate. He does not use public transit in most cases. How can he make decisions on public transit when he does not understand. He sees it only from the point-of-view of a driver. Has he done research in it, doesn’t seem to. Keep coming up with sound bites, without facts. And the councillors shallow it.

A good example of Rob Ford's transit illiteracy is his constantly calling Transit City "streetcars down the middle of the road" when Transit City is about light rail. He also compares Transit City with St. Clair West, calling it a disaster. St. Clair West is NOT light rail AND it is NOT a disaster, St. Clair has increased transit use and business has increased from before the project.

That's exactly the problem with the west.. Nobody ever really puts much thought into it. Waterfront West (can't blame this on Ford) was cancelled (rather delayed past 2025) by Miller, Eglinton West cancelled in favour of Sheppard East, Eglinton West LRT deferred (by Miller again).. Finch is the only thing you could really pin on Ford, but it would barely touch Etobicoke itself.

It appears Ford is being blamed for cancelling all transit plans in Toronto, including:

Finch West LRT
Finch East LRT (to Don Mills Station)
Sheppard East LRT
Malvern LRT (Kington Road - Morningside)
Eglinton LRT (YYZ to Eglinton GO)
SRT conversion to LRT
SRT (LRT) Extension to Malvern
Don Mills LRT
Jane LRT
Waterfront West LRT,
and the DRL.

The truth is that Miller and McGuinty cancelled, delayed, or never even funded more of these than Ford killed.

It appears Ford is being blamed for cancelling all transit plans in Toronto, including:

Finch West LRT
Finch East LRT (to Don Mills Station)
Sheppard East LRT
Malvern LRT (Kington Road - Morningside)
Eglinton LRT (YYZ to Eglinton GO)
SRT conversion to LRT
SRT (LRT) Extension to Malvern
Don Mills LRT
Jane LRT
Waterfront West LRT,
and the DRL.

The truth is that Miller and McGuinty cancelled, delayed, or never even funded more of these than Ford killed.
They were all still being studied and were awaiting provincial funding (with the possible exception of the Finch East LRT).

The first phase of the SRT Extension to Sheppard, Sheppard East LRT, and Finch West LRT were fully funded. Future extensions of those 3 lines and the Eglinton to the airport were still promised for post-2020 once Metrolinx sorted out it's long term funding in 2013. DRL isn't quite dead yet - the study is ongoing.

That's such a huge whopper that your must have bruised your nose on the computer screen it was growing so fast. Why come here and make up such obscene lies? Only thing Miller cancelled was the Bathurst bridge (and yes I think he was wrong). McGuinty never cancelled any; all were in the Metrolinx plan.

Surely coming here and making up such extreme and obvious falsehoods is trolling. Why are moderators allowing trolling?

That's such a huge whopper that your must have bruised your nose on the computer screen it was growing so fast. Why come here and make up such obscene lies? Only thing Miller cancelled was the Bathurst bridge (and yes I think he was wrong). McGuinty never cancelled any; all were in the Metrolinx plan.

Funding was on the table and removed. I used the word "delayed" and I think many people would agree that if the delay is long enough, it is essentially the same a being cancelled.

Was the Sheppard subway to STC cancelled in the early 2000's, or was it delayed?

My post may not have painted a perfectly clear picture of the truth, but others seem to suggest that Ford traded one Eglinton LRT for the entire list of transit ideas that were discussed under Miller.

They were all still being studied and were awaiting provincial funding (with the possible exception of the Finch East LRT).

The first phase of the SRT Extension to Sheppard, Sheppard East LRT, and Finch West LRT were fully funded. Future extensions of those 3 lines and the Eglinton to the airport were still promised for post-2020 once Metrolinx sorted out it's long term funding in 2013. DRL isn't quite dead yet - the study is ongoing.

Surely coming here and making up such extreme and obvious falsehoods is trolling. Why are moderators allowing trolling?

RTES 2001 was an extension of subways before Miller created transit city. I don't think that was trolling because I made a thread on it not too long ago.

If we can pin the cancelling/delaying of Sheppard from Don Mills to STC on Harris, then we can blame the cancelling/delaying of the Eglinton-Airport LRT and WWLRT on McGuinty as well.

Transit City might be stupid, but the cutbacks to Transit City weren't Miller's doing.

I personally think it's time to take the transit planning out of people like Miller and Ford's hands and into the hands of unelected transit snobs.

I personally think it's time to take the transit planning out of people like Miller and Ford's hands and into the hands of unelected transit snobs.
You might reduce political influence from transit planning but you'll never eliminate it entirely. And I certainly wouldn't want to give Metrolinx the only say.

Back