648     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
look at this picture which attributes higher ridership because of faster speeds (due to grade separation)

117cumd.jpg

It's from diverting people who would be transferring to the Danforth subway today not from grade separation itself. This would of course make congestion on the Yonge line worse because it moves the congestion further north.

BMO:

Actually, water intrusion is a major problem with underground structures and it ails a lot of the existing subways stations. Also, I highly doubt there are any cost savings in terms of cleaning and maintenance - and do remember, a good number of original stations along YUS have been renovated, and it isn't cheap. Plus there is the considerable maintenance cost of mechanical and other systems (e.g. escalators, fire/safety, ventilation) to consider.

AoD

I didn't mean to come off as saying it is cheaper per se, but I believe that the argument saying maintenance underground is greater, can be called awash, considering even though no one maintains the platforms on the street, the weather still takes a significant toll on the physical infrastructure. Now this can be an issue with underground water in subway stations, but regardless of where and what is built, there will always be a maintenance cost no matter whether it is LRT or subway. With today's construction standards and pre-planning practices, maintaining newer lines are much much easier than maintaining the old YUS subway.

I really can't believe you took a <2K difference at the votes as proof that more people wanted Transit City...When Ford was probably the only candidate who EXPLICITLY made a point of saying he would cancel transit city. George Smitherman was kind of in-between proposing a few subway extensions as well. I'm sure more than 2 thousand people who voted for Smitherman would be on the fence about the transit plan.

I've looked at polls from the Toronto Star, Toronto Sun and National Post and they all indicate strong support for Transit City. TC is by far the preferred choice by Torontonians.

Transit City is getting built weather you like it or not. All of the real engineers believe that Transit City is better then Ford's plan. I have yet to see one engineer who has come out and said that Ford's plan is better. So I suggest you take the construction noise with a smile and in a little while we'll be riding on our new light rail.

Who are you? The transit oracle?

Funny, because many of my colleagues work at Metrolinx, and the agency seems to think underground is the way to go. hmm, but yea let's play this game.:rolleyes:

It's from diverting people who would be transferring to the Danforth subway today not from grade separation itself. This would of course make congestion on the Yonge line worse because it moves the congestion further north.

ppl will divert because it's faster....;)

The debate is slowly but surely taking on a schoolyard "my x is bigger than your x" tone. Postings that are of such nature will be deleted.

AoD

I didn't mean to come off as saying it is cheaper per se, but I believe that the argument saying maintenance underground is greater, can be called awash, considering even though no one maintains the platforms on the street, the weather still takes a significant toll on the physical infrastructure. Now this can be an issue with underground water in subway stations, but regardless of where and what is built, there will always be a maintenance cost no matter whether it is LRT or subway. With today's construction standards and pre-planning practices, maintaining newer lines are much much easier than maintaining the old YUS subway.

Stations need to be cleaned and physical plant needs to be kept in good repair; turnstiles/automated entrances, escalators, elevators, ventilation, electrical, tunnels. Water damage to the station box structure itself. It costs a lot more than a 90 metre platform out on the street that's merely exposed to salt.

This is what I hope happens tomorrow:

Faced with certain defeat, Ford flips last minute and offers an amendment. Build Transit City but leave out Sheppard. Put that money towards his private/public development of the subway. If as the Chong report claims, 50-60% of the Sheppard line can be funded by the private sector, then even if the Sheppard LRT money puts up 20-30%, then the city can find the remaining 10-20%. Most people are forgetting that this is free money. The city isn't paying a dime. If we take the Sheppard LRT money and invest it in a start up fund for a Sheppard subway, it's possible that the money from private developers can be raised WaterfronToronto style and the city can pay for the rest as a capital project.

Ford can still come out a winner, but somehow I imagine him working against his own self preservation out of sheer pigheadedness. While most of me wants to see him crash and burn in a major defeat that will take him down for the rest of his time as Mayor, I do want transit built properly in this city.

I agree with Transit City as a well though out plan designed by experts but I find building an LRT on Sheppard too late of a decision now that we've starting building a subway there. If built as a subway, it could eventually be part of a continuous loop if linked to the Bloor Danforth line.

If and when Transit City gets reinstated on Wednesday, will the Eglnton Line now go all the way to Pearson Airport as originally planned??? The airport connection was a huge component of the original plan.

If and when Transit City gets reinstated on Wednesday, will the Eglnton Line now go all the way to Pearson Airport as originally planned??? The airport connection was a huge component of the original plan.
I have to agree with that. The Eglinton Crosstown LRT would be much more effective if it links directly with the airport, rather than taking the "premium express" rail along the Kitchener GO line, the 192 Airport Rocket, taking the slow 58A Malton bus, or taking the taxi even.

Back