586     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
But they also want subways! Have to give the taxpayer what they want...

Moral of the story: Just because people want it, doesn't mean it makes good planning sense. This goes for both what grade it runs on, and stop spacing.

No. You're wrong. At the supermarket checkout in Scarborough people in the line tell him to "stay the course". They tell him the same things at Tim Hortons and on the street.

He didn’t overstep his boundaries, he did what the taxpayers want. They want subways, that’s it. They don’t want streetcars. He was out in Scarborough over the weekend, people came up to him and said, they want subways. That’s it.

It’s the taxpayers. The taxpayers want…He was elected on subways, they want subways, he was out on Saturday, people want subways. That’s it.

It’s all subways. It’s all about subways.

All about subways. So, it’s the taxpayers that elected him to get the subways in and that’s what they're going to do.

It’s like winning an election. So if they voted him in, that means [stutters a bit] he don’t win an election? It doesn’t make sense.

You're just a libtard communist.

No. You're wrong. At the supermarket checkout in Scarborough people in the line tell him to "stay the course". They tell him the same things at Tim Hortons and on the street.

He didn’t overstep his boundaries, he did what the taxpayers want. They want subways, that’s it. They don’t want streetcars. He was out in Scarborough over the weekend, people came up to him and said, they want subways. That’s it.

It’s the taxpayers. The taxpayers want…He was elected on subways, they want subways, he was out on Saturday, people want subways. That’s it.

It’s all subways. It’s all about subways.

All about subways. So, it’s the taxpayers that elected him to get the subways in and that’s what they're going to do.

It’s like winning an election. So if they voted him in, that means [stutters a bit] he don’t win an election? It doesn’t make sense.

You're just a libtard communist.

That was sarcasm btw

[sarcasm]
The people of Toronto want to have their libraries cut, because there are always bookstores, Internet cafes, and Wikipedia. The people of Toronto want to have swimming pools cut, so that they can keep themselves dry. The people of Toronto want to cancel breakfast programs for children, because children can eat gruel and dumpster food during the morning hours. The people of Toronto want to have the arts cut, because generic action movies and generic fast-paced action-oriented video games are many times better than whatever is on stage and because singing "Baby" millions of times is better than anything Mozart can compose. The people of Toronto want Transit City dead, since $65 million is disposable money and the people in power can easily pay that off using their own money. The people of Toronto want an extension of the Sheppard line, so that they can have a weatherproof commute between Fairview Mall and Chuck E. Cheese for their many whiny children. The people of Toronto want the vehicle registration fee removed, so that Toronto can be used to substitute Bangkok in a movie. The people of Toronto want the land transfer fee removed, so that they can have next-door cottages and change their address at will. The people of Toronto want to reduce funding to various festivals, especially Pride Week, because homosexuality is evil and they want a return to Toronto the Good. The people of Toronto want an NFL franchise, because the Argonauts are not popular. The people of Toronto want to call leftists communist pinkos, because they still think that the Cold War is still active, view good education as unnecessary for life, and having liberal ideas causes people to transform into a certain round and pink Nintendo character. The people of Toronto want rock 'em sock 'em hockey, because they always wanted to see a combination of ice hockey, mixed martial arts, and Roman gladiatorial fights, and view Homer Simpson as a better role model than Jane Jacobs.
[/sarcasm]

Last edited:
really hope we dont see a comprimise but instead see TC with larger stop spacing.. Finch got screwed in the comprimise, I dont see much benefit of a one stop extension of Sheppard, infact Id argue that the RF completely sperated Eglinton makes more sense then the Comprimise.

Seeing as everything is on the table right now, would it be possible to get some high floor, dual power source LRVs for Sheppard? Such a train could potentially avoid any expensive renovations to the subway tunnel, and provide a transfer free ride across the route.

Also, if Sheppard is resurrected, what is the soonest we could see it running? Could it be completed for 2014?

How about less stops?

Don't see how Leslie would work as an overpass, with the clearance under the railway to the east. But I don't see why it needs anything. If you simply run it along the south side of the road from the Brentcliffe portal to the Don Mills Road portal, it wouldn't interfere with Leslie ... or anything else.

Running LRT on the south side will interfere with the Celestica interchange. Of course I am not sure if the interchange is even useful these days.

[sarcasm]
The people of Toronto want to have their libraries cut, because there are always bookstores, Internet cafes, and Wikipedia. The people of Toronto want to have swimming pools cut, so that they can keep themselves dry. The people of Toronto want to cancel breakfast programs for children, because children can eat gruel and dumpster food during the morning hours. The people of Toronto want to have the arts cut, because generic action movies and generic fast-paced video games are many times better than whatever is on stage and because singing "Baby" millions of times is better than anything Mozart can compose. The people of Toronto want Transit City dead, since $65 million is disposable money and the people in power can easily pay that off using their own money. The people of Toronto want an extension of the Sheppard line, so that they can have a weatherproof commute between Fairview Mall and Chuck E. Cheese for their many whiny children. The people of Toronto want the vehicle registration fee removed, so that Toronto can be used to substitute Bangkok in a movie. The people of Toronto want the land transfer fee removed, so that they can have next-door cottages and change their address at will. The people of Toronto want to reduce funding to various festivals, especially Pride Week, because homosexuality is evil and they want a return to Toronto the Good. The people of Toronto want an NFL franchise, because the Argonauts are not popular. The people of Toronto want to call leftists communist pinkos, because they still think that the Cold War is still active, view good education as unnecessary for life, and having liberal ideas causes people to transform into a certain round and pink Nintendo character.
[/sarcasm]

[/sarcasm]
Thank god someone on this forum has common sense.

I'm tired of all the homosexual, library loving, swimming pool using, art admiring, transit supporting communists elite lefties who think that they are smarter then us because they don't support His Worship, Robert Ford. Lets respect the taxpayers dollar by spending billions of dollars on Rob Ford's ego and the useless burial of the lrt!
[/sarcasm]

Unfortunately, my assignment is too large to be attached directly. Please bear with me. I have copied my assignment here to read:

In short: Based on the examples of 14 different LRT systems in North America, the Transit City version is recommended for the Eglinton Crosstown LRT.
[/FONT][/LEFT]
[/RIGHT]

I really enjoyed reading that. Maybe if certain people (Ford Nation) read this they would under stand why their plan is so ridiculous. Quick question: I thought that St. Clair was just a ROW streetcar, not an LRT

Running LRT on the south side will interfere with the Celestica interchange. Of course I am not sure if the interchange is even useful these days.

It is a non-issue to take care of, either convert it to a regular surface intersection or move the ramps that go too and from the eastbound lanes to the middle of the street in a straight line going down to the underpass and then back up to the street.

I have e-mailed Joe Mihevc a copy of my university assignment on the Eglinton Crosstown LRT. This is the response from my e-mail:

Hello Johnny,

Councillor Mihevc thanks you for your well researched and thoughtful paper.
Thank you for sharing it.

All the best,

Laura
Assistant to Councillor Mihevc
Ward 21, St. Paul's West

Laura Endicott Keresztesi
Special Assistant to Councillor Joe Mihevc
Ward 21 St. Paul's West
100 Queen St. W. Suite B 35
(p) 416-392-0208

Here is the link to the assignment: https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&...&attid=0.1&disp=safe&realattid=f_gy6le1fr0&zw

I hope that Joe Mihevc would show my assignment to City Council for the meeting Wednesday. It would provide ammunition to save Transit City.

Maybe Rob Ford will get one of the students at the high school where he coaches football a antithesis for your paper on Transit City. Most likely one of the football players. using just Rob's talking bits without facts backing them.

It always makes me laugh when people say that Transit City is not about speed. You can say that again. TC is utterly myopic and will do nothing to get anyone out of their cars.

The worst offender by far is the SELRT. The rest of TC I could live with.

Given those two options, I prefer Transit City. We have this once in a generation opportunity given to us by the province to build an extensive network of rapid transit, and Ford's plan will blow it all on a single line that is neither a subway nor a budget saving LRT.

I don't think that Transit City was perfect, but it is the better of the two. If I could choose a strategy, it would be to build Eglinton and Sheppard LRT as per Transit City and a busway on Finch. Use the surplus Finch LRT money to begin converting the Sheppard line into an LRT one station at a time. This would significantly lower the price to extend Sheppard westward to Downsview and beyond. The LRT could eventually move on to Finch or continue on Sheppard with North/South buses feeding Finch riders on to the new Sheppard cross town LRT.

The FrankensubwayLRT needs to be remedied. Currently, Sheppard is being heavily subsidized by tax dollars (not the farebox). Converting Sheppard to LRT stops the bleeding and ensures a continuous ride from Scarborough to Yonge and beyond on a single train. Sheppard won't have the ridership to justify its subway for 30 years at best, but more realistically 40 to 50 years. An LRT can handily take care of Sheppard's needs for the distant foreseeable future.

Can we not fool ourselves into calling Transit City "rapid transit" please? It's not.

Sheppard will never be converted to LRT. That's just plainly stupid.

I voted for Ford City, although plans have flaws, FC has fewer (although the Eglinton line has become quite the clusterfrack)

It always makes me laugh when people say that Transit City is not about speed. You can say that again. TC is utterly myopic and will do nothing to get anyone out of their cars.

Subways to malls and Downsview Park won't get people out of their cars either.

I think TC will get many people out of their cars but you probably won't see a huge reduction in the number of cars on our roads as soon as the lines open

Last edited:

You can whine and moan all you want but Transit City is superior and I'm confident that in a little more then 24 hours the plan will restored by City Council. So I suggest that you take the upcoming construction noise with a smile and in a little while we'll be riding in our new LRTs.

Back