588     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
Let's not be overly smug - just because TC seems to be back in the favour doesn't mean the old plan doesn't have shortcomings. The reasonable thing to do is to address them as much as one can and go from there.

AoD

Let's not be overly smug - just because TC seems to be back in the favour doesn't mean the old plan doesn't have shortcomings. The reasonable thing to do is to address them as much as one can and go from there.

AoD

Absolutely! The plan was far from perfect. TC had many shortcomings (such as station distances) and they definitely need to be addressed and modified. But on Wednesday the essence of Transit City will likely be restored.

My only concern is will the majority of the transit riders accept the stop spacing for the FWLRT and SELRT?

Most transit riders don't know or care about technical details like this. But I'm hoping that Metrolinx will reconsider spacing if and when Transit City is re-approved on Wednesday. In my opinion stops need to be at least 750M - 1KM apart for the LRT to be true rapid transit. But they be closer together in high density areas. Does anyone have any news about if Metrolinx is planning to do this or am I getting ahead of myself?

Last week Metrolinx said that they would need the council and mayor to agree on a single transit plan. But apparently Premier Dalton Mcguinty said that the Provincial government will support and build whatever the Council approves on Wednesday. I suppose this means that the province will build whatever gets voted for on Wednesday, regardless of His Worship Mayor Robert Ford thinks of it.

Last week Metrolinx said that they would need the council and mayor to agree on a single transit plan. But apparently Premier Dalton Mcguinty said that the Provincial government will support and build whatever the Council approves on Wednesday. I suppose this means that the province will build whatever gets voted for on Wednesday, regardless of His Worship Mayor Robert Ford thinks of it.

Don't believe what the Premier says. If the plan were to be changed again and approved on Thursday, he will come out and say he'll fund that one instead :)

Last edited:
I will vote for neither, because at this point I think that the Stintz plan is the best of the bunch. It keeps the Eglinton and Scarborough lines as a single through line, it has a small Sheppard extension, and it has BRT across all of Finch, not just LRT on 1/4 of it.

I wish she would have stuck to her guns and brought that plan to council instead.

When did he say that? Source please?

AoD

Disregard my last post. I have the link: http://www.globaltoronto.com/video/emergency+session+on+transit+city/video.html?v=2193577810#stories

Mr.McGuinty's comments came at 0:44 in the video. "We've got to get it from City Council because you know there is uncertainty of late about the plan that we thought we had entered in to"

To me that suggests that the Premier is going to disregard the views of Mr. Ford and do whatever Council tells him to.

gweed123:

Can she even do that procedurally, I wonder.

AoD

Well she can vote to have the original Eglinton LRT plan re-instated in one vote, and the SRT refurb in another with a condition added in that it be interlined with the Eglinton LRT.

Then council can take a vote to update the EA that was performed in the early 2000s on extending the Sheppard Subway to Vic Park.

The only one that would need a totally new study would be the Finch BRT, for which she can propose a motion to launch a study for it.

I wouldn't think that the Province would have too much of a problem with that plan, because their centrepiece is still intact, and they get rapid transit on Finch.

And what is being voted on at the Wednesday meeting - it is Transit City. If stop spacing would come up for a vote then some would support increasing, some decreasing, and there would be no agreement. This vote is Trasnsit City period.

I will vote for neither, because at this point I think that the Stintz plan is the best of the bunch. It keeps the Eglinton and Scarborough lines as a single through line, it has a small Sheppard extension, and it has BRT across all of Finch, not just LRT on 1/4 of it.

I wish she would have stuck to her guns and brought that plan to council instead.
I don't get it either, why isn't she bringing her plan to the council instead of the original "been-cut" Transit City plan? Ford could be stupid in not giving in to compromises, but now Stintz is just seen as playing games like a kid.

And what is being voted on at the Wednesday meeting - it is Transit City. If stop spacing would come up for a vote then some would support increasing, some decreasing, and there would be no agreement. This vote is Trasnsit City period.

I never said that Wednesday's vote wasn't a vote on Transit City. In fact, if stop spacing was changed I doubt that it would be brought to council. Metrolinx would probably just change the plan. Stop spacing is an engineering problem, not a political issue. However, if Council does have an issue with changes to spacing made my Metrolinx then it may be brought to council

Back