620     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
Well technically he made the announcement but it needs to be brought to council for a vote which I think Karen Stinz has said will be In Mar or Apr and there are councilors saying they have enough votes to stop Fords' plan and revert back perhaps partially to the old plan of bringing LRT to Finch, Jane and I think Don Mills.

But why? Light Rail Transit is easily one of the most politically and economically controversial forms of transportation in the entire continent of North America compared to other forms of urban transit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_light_rail_in_North_America

It would be a hell of alot easier to just build subway lines, they may be more expensive, but considering all the delays and political mudslinging that has stemmed from this, it would probably be for the best to kill Transit City.

But why? Light Rail Transit is easily one of the most politically and economically controversial forms of transportation in the entire continent of North America compared to other forms of urban transit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_light_rail_in_North_America

It would be a hell of alot easier to just build subway lines, they may be more expensive, but considering all the delays and political mudslinging that has stemmed from this, it would probably be for the best to kill Transit City.

Money does not grow on trees and it is not easier to build subway lines simply because Wikipedia says so.

Money does not grow on trees and it is not easier to build subway lines simply because Wikipedia says so.

Yup. If people were clamoring for additional fees and taxes, I would agree.

There is nothing more politically difficult than introducing a new tax. Even when a majority wants it, various rate payers associations can make it painful.

Its being debated because Rob Ford broke the law when he cancelled Transit City. He had no right to unilaterally cancel it so it now needs to be brought to debate at City Council.

And subways are incredibly expensive and slow to build. We could build a subway along Eglinton, but none of the politicians have the guts to spend large amounts of money on anything at the moment.

Yup. If people were clamoring for additional fees and taxes, I would agree.

There is nothing more politically difficult than introducing a new tax. Even when a majority wants it, various rate payers associations can make it painful.

I would gladly pay a 1¢ municipal sales tax if it went directly to infrastructure. Would other residents?

And subways are incredibly expensive and slow to build. We could build a subway along Eglinton, but none of the politicians have the guts to spend large amounts of money on anything at the moment.

We're spending more on transit expansion that we ever have in Toronto's history, even adjusted for CPI inflation. Of course, we get far less for our money now than we used to, which is something we would do well to examine.

No. You know how it works in Toronto. The far right car drivers would inevitably say this is a conspiracy by the " elite transit riding communist torontonians" to destroy car travel in Toronto.

Don't believe me; read the comment section of Sun News.

But a 1 cent municipal sales tax is a brilliant idea and I would gladly sign up for it. But as long as we have people like Ford in power, that will never happen.

We're spending more on transit expansion that we ever have in Toronto's history, even adjusted for CPI inflation. Of course, we get far less for our money now than we used to, which is something we would do well to examine.

You're kidding right. What have we spent on Transit expansion in the last 10 years other then the ridiculous YUS extension to Vaughan.

Tunneled LRT is a waste of money as they have lower capacity than subway, SkyTrain, or monorail using the same size stations. At grade LRT will also be more expensive for daily operations as it could not be automated. I also shudder to think what would happen to this extremely expensive line if a similar accident to Woodbine & Steeles were to occur, which it eventually will. The LRT is also, by far, the most expensive tech to use for the SRT conversion due to having to totally reno the stations due to the higher height required for the catenarys which is not an issue for the other 3 techs.
If Ford was really respectful of taxpayer's money he would simply extend the SRT as SkyTrain using elevation to DM.

Did Ford have the legal right to stop TC.....it appears not but he does have the moral view of TC on his side.
Ford was VERY explicit before the election about what he would do with TC and Eglinton namely cancel TC and make Eglinton a total subway. Regardless of the legal arguments no one can dismiss the fact that he got elected with transit a major part of his platform and everyone knew his views on on TC.........he didn't want ANY surface LRT and made no bones about it. Needless to say he still got elected and to say people didn't vote for him to cancel TC is disingenous. TC was never very popular and that is evident by the fact that Miller and the boys had to go and try to persuade Torontonians of it's merits. Torontonians were always very dubious of TC and it's ability to provide true rapid & mass transit and they voted accordingly. They looked at the huge cost overruns and time delays of St,Clair and didn't like what they saw.
Ford is a dictatorial tyrant but he can legitimately state that he is doing what he said he would do with transit in Toronto. Miller never got support in an election for TC but Ford got support in an election to cancel it.

Back