News   Jul 24, 2024
 78     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 586     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 635     1 

Transit City: Finch-Sheppard Corridor

The cold hard merits being tossed around by everyone here are as unverifiable as the notion that Voltz or others would see some modicum of pleasure in the removal of the Sheppard subway as vengeance for building the line in the first place.

Yes, our perception of that cold hard merit may not be accurate, because the information we use may be incomplete, and because the future changes in demographics and travel patterns are not known precisely.

But at least some objective inputs (current ridership counts, cost of comparable projects etc) are available and we can try to make predictions based on them.

I agree with scarberian that the idea of LRT-fying Sheppard just reeks of catharsis. I mean, the notion of spending billions to reduce the capacity, speed and utility of a line is a bizarre notion. I can't even think of a parallel, it is so weird.

You can guarantee you'd NEVER hear about anyone proposing something like that in any other city other than Toronto.

No one is proposing converting the Sheppard subway to an LRT other then people on this forum.

Every time I think about the idea of converting the Sheppard subway to LRT, I think of Buffalo's Metro Rail... and then I think of the trains with the annoying beeping noise the Buffalo trains make when steps pop out of their sides for passengers to exit the train to get onto the sidewalk on Main Street.

Not currently, no - but the leaked version of the Metrolinx RTP apparently had such a conversion.

As it stands, I see no point in having what would essentially be two modes of transit (subway, LRT) for Sheppard E and an altogether different mode of transit for Sheppard W. If the funds were limited and the Sheppard subway can't be completed at some reasonable time in the future then I think conversion should be considered. Particularly, since the costs are likely to be reasonable enough to allow an extension to Downsview for that price. I am quite skeptical that the extra 6 mins would significantly deter anyone from taking a Sheppard LRT. For the cost of completing the Sheppard subway to STC, we could LRT most of Sheppard from at least Downsview to Morningside. Extending the subway to STC is estimated at 1.7 billion. Conversion according to Soberman would be in the half billion range. So for 1.7 billion we could buy 30 km of LRT infrastructure. If the funds aren't forthcoming to finish Sheppard (and Metrolinx does not seem to think so), I think this a great option to extend service to most of Sheppard.

As it stands, I see no point in having what would essentially be two modes of transit (subway, LRT) for Sheppard E and an altogether different mode of transit for Sheppard W. If the funds were limited and the Sheppard subway can't be completed at some reasonable time in the future then I think conversion should be considered. Particularly, since the costs are likely to be reasonable enough to allow an extension to Downsview for that price. I am quite skeptical that the extra 6 mins would significantly deter anyone from taking a Sheppard LRT. For the cost of completing the Sheppard subway to STC, we could LRT most of Sheppard from at least Downsview to Morningside. Extending the subway to STC is estimated at 1.7 billion. Conversion according to Soberman would be in the half billion range. So for 1.7 billion we could buy 30 km of LRT infrastructure. If the funds aren't forthcoming to finish Sheppard (and Metrolinx does not seem to think so), I think this a great option to extend service to most of Sheppard.

Where does Soberman say what the cost would be for the conversion? I'd like to see that report, if there is one. Half a billion is above what I would consider a reasonable cost for a conversion to be worthwhile.

Every time I think about the idea of converting the Sheppard subway to LRT, I think of Buffalo's Metro Rail... and then I think of the trains with the annoying beeping noise the Buffalo trains make when steps pop out of their sides for passengers to exit the train to get onto the sidewalk on Main Street.

Do mean this??

Or This

Work is supposed to start in 2009 to convert the ROW to mix traffic. Work has stated to the east of the portal to convert the one way street to 2 way.

Just the idea of conversion is so idiotic it's completely ridiculous that it's being considered. Spending MORE money for LESS capacity. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Of course its stupid, I mean how dare they even think of reducing capacity, or eliminating a transfer or two for the mere 6100 per hour that Metrolinx is projecting will be using the sheppard line in 2031.

Back