News   Jul 16, 2024
 381     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 491     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Toronto's own Monopoly spot

You would think that, but it's really not the case. I read La Presse and Le Devoir every day, and nothing, except a one paragraph story buried deep in La Presse's last saturday edition. I'm puzzled as much as you are by this, but we'll have to look for another explanation. I also watch TV and lesson to radio a lot (I'm a news nut)... nothing so far, except one very quick mention on the french CBC network, where the guy actually said we should make an effort for... Toronto!!! When I mention the contest to my friends, nobody has heard about it. It's really strange.

nothing so far, except one very quick mention on the french CBC network, where the guy actually said we should make an effort for... Toronto!!!

What was his rationale?

Anyway, I think Montreal has more of a profile in some places. It was also on the leaderboard much earlier, which probably helped it garner votes.

His rationale was simply to help another Canadian city, so to have as many as possible on the board. He was not sarcastic or anything like that.

As of noon Feb. 2

1 - Paris
2 - Montreal **WOW!! 2nd**
3 - London
4 - Hong Kong
5 - New York
6 - Sydney
7 - Rome
8 - Cape Town
9 - Vancouver
10 - Barcelona
11 - Beijing
12 - Tokyo
13 - Kylv, Ukriane
14 - Queenstown, New Zealand
15 - Athens
16 - Shanghai
17 - Zurich
18 - Dubliin
19 - Toronto
20 - Madrid

Nominees:
1 - Taipai
2 - Quebec
3 - Winnipeg
17 - Calgary

I enjoy this voting. I vote with 3 different emails each day, usually the same cities. i invited at least a hundred people to the facebook group to get their attention to it. If the media here would a feature or two, then maybe we can get a bit higher. We're still in the top 20, but I get nervous that we would be bumped down. I hope we can get to at least 11th so that we have a spot past "Free Parking". I'm surprised Montreal is 2nd!! I never would have thought it would be ahead of London and New York, but I'm happy with it. And with Vancouver at 9th, two CDN cities in the Top 10 is sweet. When the voting for nominees begins, must vote for the top 2 Canadian Cities. As much Canadian content as possible would be awesome. I'm really surprised that Ottawa is no where to be found.

Isn't this the kind of insecure thing only Torontonians would engage in?

Could the ROC be wrong? :p

Isn't this the kind of insecure thing only Torontonians would engage in?

Could the ROC be wrong? :p
Well, if it's an insecure thing from the looks of it Dublin, Queenstown, Kyiv, Vancouver are all guiltier than Toronto at the moment. Oh, and that would make Montreal the king of insecurity, right? It sounds like some Torontonians are worried about seeming insecure by being on such as list...:confused:
People do have 10 votes. I usually choose 4(ish) but it doesn't seem like people in Montreal are being honest. Or maybe they have delusions that they are the best city in the world? A city like Montreal or Toronto being the 'park place' of the world just seem wrong. If Toronto goes above 10 I'll still be voting for other cities. And if it went above what I thought was right I'd probably start voting against it. Ya, it's just a game but if you where a kid in Ontario wouldn't it be cool to have Toronto on the board? And is it that much of a stretch to say Toronto is one of the 20 best cities in the world? If your answer is yes, I'd be surprised your here on UT.

Well, if it's an insecure thing from the looks of it Dublin, Queenstown, Kyiv, Vancouver are all guiltier than Toronto at the moment. Oh, and that would make Montreal the king of insecurity, right? It sounds like some Torontonians are worried about seeming insecure by being on such as list...:confused:
People do have 10 votes. I usually choose 4(ish) but it doesn't seem like people in Montreal are being honest. Or maybe they have delusions that they are the best city in the world? A city like Montreal or Toronto being the 'park place' of the world just seem wrong. If Toronto goes above 10 I'll still be voting for other cities. And if it went above what I thought was right I'd probably start voting against it. Ya, it's just a game but if you where a kid in Ontario wouldn't it be cool to have Toronto on the board? And is it that much of a stretch to say Toronto is one of the 20 best cities in the world? If your answer is yes, I'd be surprised your here on UT.

It was a joke. I don't think there's anything wrong with it at all. It would be great to see Toronto on the board. What I find funny is that if Toronto was really keen on making it, it would be nothing more than a sign of insecurity to the ROC. Double standard.

It was a joke. I don't think there's anything wrong with it at all. It would be great to see Toronto on the board. What I find funny is that if Toronto was really keen on making it, it would be nothing more than a sign of insecurity to the ROC. Double standard.
Ah, sorry I misinterpreted you.
Do I look stupid if I ask what's this ROC thing is you keep mentioning?

To: MartinMtl
Do Montrealers really think that their city is better than NY, HK, Tokyo, London, Rome and the other great cities of the world? I think Montreal is a great city but if your voting for ONLY Montreal, especially in the position it is in right now and essentially say that these other cities are rubbish comparitively, there has got to be a bit of disillusionment. Sorry if it sound like I'm accusing you of this--I'm not--I'm just curious of an insiders view.
Or maybe I'm just taking all this a little too seriously. To think of it, I still rant about that Rio Jesus statue being one of the 7 wonders now.

"Do Montrealers really think that their city is better than NY, HK, Tokyo, London, Rome and the other great cities of the world? I think Montreal is a great city but if your voting for ONLY Montreal, especially in the position it is in right now and essentially say that these other cities are rubbish comparitively, there has got to be a bit of disillusionment."

People are just voting for their favorite cities...They don't say "Oh...Montreal is now in front of London and NY, I should stop voting". As a montrealer myself, I don't think Montreal is any "better" than all these cities. But it sure ain't worst neither. It's not the population of a city that says if a city is great or not, it's its own vibe and the people living in it.

In fact like martinmtl said previously, I never heard of the contest in the media except for a small article on the very end of the page on La Presse's website. I talked to lots of people about the contest and no one knew about it.
I guess lots of vote for Mtl come from the entire world. Which I find more legitimate if Montreal gains one of the highest spots.

I wouldn't feel bad for the city even if Montreal gained the highest spot on the board cause I prefer living in icy Montreal than uptight Paris.

VOTE now - Toronto is 17th

and vote every day in February - or Toronto may slip out of the winners' board... Vancouver is higher and Montreal is now 2nd!!

Toronto should be promoted even in such places like Monopoly - without it noone will know Toronto - as it happens today - activate your local patriotism!

Toronto with its huge population and additionally with relatives of all those immigrants that create this multinational centre and living all over the world should easily be in the leading 5 - instead...

Show all those canadian haters that will never support Toronto - make a buzz - tell your friends!

:)))

Montreal is currently 1st!!!!!

Are those Montrealers only voting for Montreal and a couple others?

I think the board would totally flop if Montreal became the coveted "Boardwalk" spot. I'd be ashamed if it was Toronto there too. IMO only a few cities worldwide deserve that spot; New York, London and Paris.

I really hope Parker Bros. takes a good second look at the voting and rearrange the board to a more logical conclusion.

It would be much better if they took the top whatever number they needed, then reweight votes based on which ones are votes from foreign people (i.e. a person voting from say Canada would be worth 1.5 votes if they voted for somewhere like London).

In any case, this whole "let the masses vote" would certainly prove to be a folly and a failure if certain cities are placed according to pure nationalistic popularity.

Toronto is up to 16th spot. That's what a little mention on Breakfast TV can do.

Maybe they will plug away at it everyday until the end of the month...

I think the board would totally flop if Montreal became the coveted "Boardwalk" spot. I'd be ashamed if it was Toronto there too. IMO only a few cities worldwide deserve that spot; New York, London and Paris.
I totally agree with you. It would be better for Montreal to have a high non-blue spot. Although I think only NY, London, HK, or Tokyo are worth of Boardwalk and Parkplace. Maybe Paris, Rome or Shanghai for Parkplace but only because of historical importance.

Back