Toronto YWCA Elm Centre | ?m | 17s | YWCA Toronto | SvN

29 May 2010 update:

dsc07999n.jpg

posing with the buses:
dsc07998i.jpg

dsc07997.jpg

I don't think this is an aA building. On http://www.regionalarchitects.com/projects_ymca_elm_centre.html it says

hree hundred units of affordable housing for women and First Nations residents

Phase: Under construction, 2009
Size: 19,751 sm | 212,500 sf

regionalArchitects, in joint venture with Hilditch Architects, designed this two–building complex that will provide affordable and supportive housing, and a diverse array of social services, for women and First Nations singles and families living in the downtown core.

I noticed that with the Bloor St. makeover too, I believe the thread credits aA, while it's actually rA. Are they affiliated in anyway though? The formatting of their firm names is suspiciously similar...

Someone correct me if I have this wrong

architectsAlliance was formed when Wallman Clewes Bergman Architects merged with van Nostrand DiCastri Architects in 1999
planningAlliance was its associated planning firm

since then:

Rudy Wallman started his own firm
Peter Clewes is still at aA (seems to be the only partner)
Ralph Bergman: Retired?
John van Nostrand left aA around 2008 with planningAlliance... regionalArchitects and rePlan are sister firms of pA
Adrian DiCastri passed away in 2008

Last edited:
Looking at those pics with the buses parked all over...i just wonder when Toronto will get a new and larger bus terminal.

The was a study commissioned by the city to determine if moving the terminal to the Union Station area was feasible, and included using the old OPP building site. I've found nothing using a quick google, except a thread here in Urban Toronto...but no new posts since 2008. Anybody have fresh information on this?

Methinks the lady doth protest too much...

When I look around my area, I'm not pleased with what I see anymore.

What's your area? Glad to hear you're moving up in the world. Given the opportunity for cleanliness and godliness I'm sure a lot of people want something more in their lives. Community involvement and active living are the two biggest things I do to increase my enjoyment of my area. Because of the quality of friends and support in the East End, even despite my low income I can live an easier, happier, healthier and fun filled life.

As if the mustard yellow wasn't bad enough, now they have a bright blue complementary scheme! So praw-ject. It seems to me that COOP and public housing stucture design manuals specify the elaborate and extensive use of colours designed to induce seizures.

People cry for more colour but complain when someone actually uses more colour.

As if the mustard yellow wasn't bad enough, now they have a bright blue complementary scheme! So praw-ject. It seems to me that COOP and public housing stucture design manuals specify the elaborate and extensive use of colours designed to induce seizures.

I believe the bright blue is only waterproofing barrier plastic. However it does look as if the mustard yellow is in fact the choice for the spandrel.

Although I applaud the use of colour it should only be attempted by those who are not colour-blind... Or in this case Hue-blind because maybe a different shade of yellow would have been nicer.

:confused:

I'm really confused here ... are we looking at the same building ? Have you seen it in person ?

I love the choice of colour, moreover, the particular shade of yellow they chose to use! It's not too bright and has an orange tint to it, it really does look really nice in person (and honestly in those photos to me as well).

To each his / her own!

Back