Toronto YWCA Elm Centre | ?m | 17s | YWCA Toronto | SvN

I remember being startled by the shade of blue on the new Belleville Hospital wing recently...maybe the fact that it's Belleville plays a part

JULY 23 / Source: myself

dsc0023rj.jpg

dsc0025ws.jpg

This is what Crystal Blu could/should have been.

I really like the black brick and chartruse combo on the southside of the developemnt.And I really like the multiple blues and gray spandrel combo seen here. I'm not sure I like how they look right next to each other. Either way, these colours are a great addition.

I guess I'm in a minority then, with regards to colour preferences. I need to get with the zeitgeist and embrace the polyester tones of my parents generation.

I guess I'm in a minority then, with regards to colour preferences. I need to get with the zeitgeist and embrace the polyester tones of my parents generation.

While I'm not waiting for a purple office tower myself (that King Business Centre, or whatever it's called now just west of M5V, is as purple as any building should ever be in this town - yeucch - horrible), yeah, these colours are in style again (although they aren't necessarily polyester tones).

SHOT-19_032_Sublim.jpg

While I'm not waiting for a purple office tower myself (that King Business Centre, or whatever it's called now just west of M5V, is as purple as any building should ever be in this town - yeucch - horrible), yeah, these colours are in style again (although they aren't necessarily polyester tones).

SHOT-19_032_Sublim.jpg

I think I like blue just a little more now.

What a nice colourful urban streetwall this is creating! Very happy to see this progress, really livens up an otherwise dull area. (Dull not becuase of what goes on, cause I could never say hospitals are dull having lived in one for a chunk of my life, but the colour will help the area during the grey months and will look nice with a new snowfall as well.) One of my favs so far based on actual work done. Also are they planning on doing anything at city hall to fix those streaks on its backside in the above pic...looks pretty dirty...

I guess I'm in a minority then, with regards to colour preferences.

Beyond such personal colour preference, which vary widely from person to person, there's the issue of colour overload and the appropriateness of using a specific colour palette for any given site - including this one, where a strong new/old contrast is already a dominant part of the design, as it is with the recent multi-hued addition to the George Brown campus at the top of Frederick Street. It would be interesting, in view of the design review process that has been undertaken recently, for the design community to look at the issue of culturally specific Toronto colour uses.

http://scan.net.au/scan/journal/display.php?journal_id=49

As much as I hate complaints about colour, here goes: that mustard looks even worse now that most of the building is using the various blue and grey panels.

Perhaps that's because not only does colour preference vary from person to person ( I'm far more enamoured with the subtle shifts in the mauve-ish blue on Bay Adelaide than with the brash blue on the AGO for instance ) but in chromatic terms a little mustard goes a long way on blue buildings ... as well as on hot dogs. With opposite-complimentary combinations ( red/green; orange/blue; yellow/purple etc. ) the amount of each colour needed to create harmony within the pairing will vary with each combination - a smaller amount of the more dynamic yellow will be needed to balance purple than the amount of the less dynamic green that will be needed to balance the red, for instance. Too much more of the mustard colour, in this building, and it'll start to dominate the blue.

Back