Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Yonge and Finch area in the early 1970s... (1972)

f1257_s1057_it9014.jpg

f1257_s1057_it9021.jpg

f1257_s1057_it9022.jpg

Truth is, you nailed it. As much as I believe that subways should have been built inner-city with a higher priority than this extension (sheppard and DRL), it still is important to acknowledge that subways come before density, density does not always attract a subway. The truth is that its rare for developers to build at subway densities if the subway isn't already there, regardless of plans. An example of the exception being metrogate, and I think that tridel is probably pretty upset about how that is going to turn out for them. It is a good example to other developers of why they should not build until they are SURE the subway will be there, that usually means waiting until it actually is there.

It would appear that some people here are biased by where they live as a factor in determining whether York Region is in fact primed and really for underground metros. I however focus on the statistics (StatsCan), and time and again, these prove that the Downtown core (6,961.9 people per km²), Scarborough (3,160.9 people per km²), Mississauga (2361 people per km²), even stretches of Eglinton proper have higher, more concentrated population densities than the "City" of Vaughan (873.1 people per km²) and Richmond Hill (1,612.7 people per km²). Markham residents obviously would feed directly into a Scarborough subway plus connecting LRT routes, not to mention Lincolnville GO once all-day, bidirectional operation is possible.

Tell that to the businesses along Yonge Street who were even more opposed to bus lanes than the St Clair ROW folk.

Anyway, I can't keep saying this but I will: The provincial growth plan, which designates major growth AND a major transit hub at Hwy 7, makes stopping the subway short of Hwy 7 riddiculous. It would have been hypocritical of the province to order RH and Mkm to intensify there and then refuse to extend the Yonge subway. This isn't just an abstract transit exercise, it's a big puzzle piece in a big planning puzzle.

If that is the case, then the possibility of expanding the subway network in the future is always an open option. For now, density tapers off just past Clark Avenue which is just a brisk bus ride north of Steeles. If the underground megaterminal is built at Yonge & Steeles as planned, I fail to see how anyone is being severely inconvenienced.

And rapid bus or light rail transit is so doable through Thornhill. This could be achieved with bus lanes, bypass shoulders, queue-jumping at intersections, priority over traffic signals and other features designed to alott fast travel times in-between the subway and Richmond Hill.

For anyone asking the proverbial "where do we draw the line, and why?" that's your answer: the planning regime which treats Yonge/7 as a major hub.

It seems most people here agree the flaw with Transit City is all the transferring and that's why many here want to see Sheppard continue as a subway to Scarborough. By any objective measure ending YUS at Finch is dumb and it seems at least as dumb to take it up to Steeles while YRT builds an LRT the rest of the way to Hwy 7; totally defeats the purpose of creating an integrated transit hub there.

I actually want to see the Sheppard Line converted to LRT technology and extended over to Malvern Town Ctr with a spur line going into SCC. The RHC hub concept sounds good on paper, but let's get real here. It'll turn out to be another Smart!Centres -type set up with condo-owners whom may still find it faster to drive into the downtown than use public transit. It's a gamble, not an absolute; and the only ones who wind up winning in these things are the contractors, hired consultants, loan accountants and the politicians involved.

Sorry if I see the futility in having bus routes converge onto a certain point along a street in a vain attempt to legitimize spending billions upon a subway to that particular spot. Lets build subways out to downtown Markham, Pickering Town Ctr and Bramalea City Ctr while we're at it. I also do not think a Yonge LRT would end at RHC. It'd likely terminate at Bernard Terminal, maybe even to 19th Avenue.

You do realize that if we just funnel people to Finch Station using LRT or dedicated bus lanes, you'll still have the same issue of overcrowding that everyone is whining about, minus the ability to do anything about it.

If the extension was in place, every second train can turn back at Finch to provide everyone to the south an empty train to fill up.

Who said anything about Finch? I support an extension to Steeles. Conscientious York riders would too, as buses/LRT entering the underground terminal likely will not be subject to fare tariff. People boarding from RHC definitely would pay a second fare upon entry to my understanding.

Regardless, Finch draws nearly 80,000 on its own routes; 36, 39/139 = 77,300, plus whatever net gains are achieved via the new Finch West LRT and possible FHC BRT. So coupled with Sheppard transfers, chances are the trains will still fill up by the time they reach Lawrence Stn.

If the extension isn't in place, but transit usage continues to rise to Finch Station though Viva, YRT, TTC, and GO, you'll just have an already sardine canned train right from the get-go, with no real way of doing anything about it, except maybe short-turning at Sheppard-Yonge Station.

One way or another, transit in the GTA needs to improve, and it needs to be able to adapt to growing ridership. Stubbing a subway station at a location that it was dumped at years and years ago before York Region's density increased is just going to cause more problems underground and on the surface than what it's worth.

A Sheppard-Yonge short-turn isn't such a bad idea actually given the conveniently placed crossover tracks south of the station. Thanks. :)

The problem with overcrowding on the Yonge is the fault of lack of distributive drop-off points for 905 riders, not lack of a 905 subway extension. In the forseeable future: Jane/Steeles, Don Mills/Steeles and McCowan/Steeles will become major transfer points. The former, a subway's at their door; the latter, under 15 minutes travel time to the Sheppard and Scarborough Lines. If the DRL were to extend to at least Don Mills & Eglinton, most Markhamites would not need for the Yonge Line to get downtown.

Yonge and Finch area in the early 1970s... (1972)

Puh-lease. What area of the GTA still looks like that, subway or no subway? Places can urbanize and grow without throwing money down a well. I'd be more concerned about the areas already there with more transit riders than it knows how to transport efficiently. No point in beefing up only one end of the line if when arriving downtown, 905ers can't get E-W across the innercity in a fast, reliable manner.

It would appear that some people here are biased by where they live as a factor in determining whether York Region is in fact primed and really for underground metros. I however focus on the statistics (StatsCan), and time and again, these prove that the Downtown core (6,961.9 people per km²), Scarborough (3,160.9 people per km²), Mississauga (2361 people per km²), even stretches of Eglinton proper have higher, more concentrated population densities than the "City" of Vaughan (873.1 people per km²) and Richmond Hill (1,612.7 people per km²).

Today's conditions are all fine and good, but they do not reflect what is planned to occur in the 5, 10 or 25 year range. You can quote Stats Canada until the cows come home but unless you have a time machine to the 2031 census then it means nothing.

Are there better uses of money? Yes. There will ALWAYS be better uses of money in the eyes of someone who wants to look elsewhere. Doesoes that mean it's not a worthwhile project? No.

You said it yourself - areas can urbanize and grow. Why is Richmond Hill Centre and the Yonge Street corridor so different?

I think people are also forgetting the Longbridge development going on just on the south side of the 407 near Richmond Hill Centre, where they expect 30-35,000 people to be living in just a few years.

And Amphibius, you comment on my quotes as if I'm not one to reason with different alternatives or scenarios. I mentioned the short-turn at Sheppard Yonge as a real alternative, not a "but that's never going to happen" scenario.

Keep in mind that while I am a York Region resident, I've spent more of my time in Toronto, especially in the downtown core and Scarborough areas, so I'm not simply looking at TTC projects from a York Region perspective.

I'm going to suggest a moratorium on "what I'd like to see instead of a Yonge extension" discussions because they are well beyond pointless and going on and on.

IT doesn't matter if you want to see bus rapidways on Yonge and a DRL; doesn't matter at all. Even if David Miller wanted a DRL it wouldn't matter. The ship has sailed.

There is literally nothing you can say here or to Metrolinx or to your MPP that's going to cause them to kill the project and zip the DRL or any other pet project to the top of the list.

You think there isn't enough density at Hwy 7 no matter what's planned for 5, 10, 15 years from now? Doesn't matter either. The province disagrees. Disagrees a lot.

Looking back a few pages I see people saying "why not build a subway to Buffalo" or "subway lines become useless after a certain length" and while the latter is likely true, it's not in this case. In fact, those statements proceed from the false assumption that all these York Region riders are going from Hwy 7 to Union or King. Couldn't it be they're going to Lawrence? Or Eglinton? Bloor? Is THAT length useless?

Have you SEEN how long the subways are in New York City or London? Is there anybody who rides them end to end? Does that mean they're useless?

Almost everything Amphibius wrote below is, frankly, silly - starting with the idea of going to all the effort of building an extension, just to take it to Steeles. This after he admits that density doesn't even taper off until Clark!

Should we stop all our transit infrastructure "a brisk bus ride" from its logical terminus? Does it not matter at all that multiple other transit services are converging just a few km north of there at Hwy 7?

With all due respect, nearly every attack on the subway extension is proceeding on false premises. As others have pointed out: ridership won't cripple the system, a new extension does not have to operate at capacity to be justified, even without NEW riders it will provide huge help to traffic in the south of York Region and north of Toronto it will take hundreds of buses and thousands of cars off the road, the planning regime to justify any PERCEIVED density shortfalls is well along, including HUGE plans for the Markham side of Yonge/407 and nearly-as-huge plans to remake the RH Centre lands (pictured a few posts back as a pointless blank slate), AND building the Yonge extension is the best chance of Torontonians have of ever seeing a DRL built or Yonge/Bloor getting renovated.

OH - and, the environmental project report is done so they can start digging as soon as they have money.

I think this thread should change direction and talk about the extension and the future, not more of this coulda-woulda-shoulda stuff. That's my hopeful rant...

TJ, amen.

We should move on from this endless and pointless discussion and start discussing the future of the extension, not if it should even exist.

But just as a one last comment thing, I just wanted to point out that for the record, North York is just as "dense" and spaced out as a lot of southern York Region is. Ever taken a trip down Highway 7 to Warden? What's that? High rise office buildings and condos in Markham? Whaaat?

That said, someone mentioned before that an extension of the LRT lines to Steeles would ease the load off the Yonge subway. I think this may be possible, though stopping even those lines at Steeles is silly, which is why York Region has been pushing the TTC to consider having the LRT lines operate up to Major Mac on routes like Don Mills. This way you almost guarantee that the ridership into Toronto (and out, too) will spread out a little more evenly, which should further ease the worries of those people thinking that 416ers won't be able to get on the subway going southbound.

That said, someone mentioned before that an extension of the LRT lines to Steeles would ease the load off the Yonge subway. I think this may be possible, though stopping even those lines at Steeles is silly, which is why York Region has been pushing the TTC to consider having the LRT lines operate up to Major Mac on routes like Don Mills. This way you almost guarantee that the ridership into Toronto (and out, too) will spread out a little more evenly, which should further ease the worries of those people thinking that 416ers won't be able to get on the subway going southbound.

The Don Mills LRT to Hwy 7 is in the works. According to this report, the TTC has begun their Don Mills LRT study, and will be working with the Region and their consultants for the LRT north of Steeles.

Attachment 1
Attachment 2

(Report and attachments from York Region)

Is there anything about the Leslie-Hwy 7 intersection that makes it a logical terminus? Would downtown Markham be better perhaps?

The Don Mills LRT to Hwy 7 is in the works. According to this report, the TTC has begun their Don Mills LRT study, and will be working with the Region and their consultants for the LRT north of Steeles.

Attachment 1
Attachment 2

(Report and attachments from York Region)

Thanks for those links!

Is there anything about the Leslie-Hwy 7 intersection that makes it a logical terminus? Would downtown Markham be better perhaps?

Well some people would say yes, others would say no. Personally, I have no use for the Leslie/7 intersection, but I do know that it is a pretty major hub of business activity with many hotels and office buildings nearby, as well as the Times Square plaza (which is almost entirely of Asian culture stores).

I think this is fine, because it would get used for people going to Don Mills station (as there already is a bus route that takes them there currently, so we know ridership exists even at the most basic level).

However, I agree that a TTC LRT to Markham Centre would make more sense, but alas that is all the way between Warden and Kennedy (depending on which side they choose to build up as the transit hub.. probably Kennedy due to Unionville GO) so I think that would warrant another line up into York Region from Transit City again.

Actually, I'll do Marcus one better (at the risk of going off-topic)...
There is an update for this week's rapid transit committee meeting here:

...and one on the Jane LRT as well...

They seem to be treating Hwy 7 as an interim terminus with Major Mac being the real goal. The main key now seems to be making sure it doesn't stop at Steeles.

Anyone with nothing better to do can head up to Newmarket on Thursday to hear the updates on these projects and the two subways.

Today's conditions are all fine and good, but they do not reflect what is planned to occur in the 5, 10 or 25 year range. You can quote Stats Canada until the cows come home but unless you have a time machine to the 2031 census then it means nothing.

Are there better uses of money? Yes. There will ALWAYS be better uses of money in the eyes of someone who wants to look elsewhere. Doesoes that mean it's not a worthwhile project? No.

You said it yourself - areas can urbanize and grow. Why is Richmond Hill Centre and the Yonge Street corridor so different?

Thanks, RR191, that was very well said.

And, to add, nothing gets more tiresome than some guy who quotes density statistics willy nilly. Density alone tells you nothing about transit ridership.

Actually, I'll do Marcus one better (at the risk of going off-topic)...
There is an update for this week's rapid transit committee meeting here:

...and one on the Jane LRT as well...

They seem to be treating Hwy 7 as an interim terminus with Major Mac being the real goal. The main key now seems to be making sure it doesn't stop at Steeles.

Anyone with nothing better to do can head up to Newmarket on Thursday to hear the updates on these projects and the two subways.

Thanks for these links, TJ (especially the Jane Street one). I did not realize they posted these reports yet, I only knew of the one from February.

Thanks, RR191, that was very well said.

And, to add, nothing gets more tiresome than some guy who quotes density statistics willy nilly. Density alone tells you nothing about transit ridership.

Yes, HD, especially when two of the municipalities quoted have significant amount of land that is undeveloped and farmland (Markham and Vaughan), thereby skewing the numbers a bit

Back