Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Are you meaning the Cummer bus? If yes, then the plan was for that bus to use the new Cummer Stn, not Finch. I believe Cummer was to get 2 routes, and 2 bus bays.

Depending on what length the total extension is varies the diversion from Finch, the a ton of service was to be diverted to the new Steeles Stn.

Finch was going to be relieved of a substantial portion of the service that is now directed there.
ok... at least the station will make sense then until the area is developed denser.

Aside from the Finch buses, I don't know what was still planned to continue runing into Finch. Neither the current 60, 53 or 42 or 125 would still go there. Obviously none of the YRT/Viva either. Not sure if GO or if the 97 bus would continue. Would be literally hundreds of buses an hour coming off of the stretch between 7 and Finch which, in terms of GHG emissions and road wear-and-tear alone (some of the worst bus knuckles in the region) is one of the least-talked-about benefits of opening the subway.
We better see an overhaul of the local bus system then. VIVA can't handle all that.

Can't handle what? They'll still have the terminal (perhaps better integrated with the subway and GO) and Yonge/7 and presumably service along Yonge would operate very, very differently than it does now; maybe no more Viva and just a local bus, like TTC's 97? That stuff is years down the road.

Last edited:
And fewer drivers heading south of Steeles in the AM to park at Finch - less congestion. I also hope to see better local bus service from Thornhill to YNSE. With the massive redevelopment planned at Promenade Mall, that area will need better transit connections. Perfect opportunity to beef up Viva service and connect with Clark or Steeles stations.

I am thinking that once this opens, Finch will become a quiet station. Any of the routes that come from the north, including all of the YRT/VIVA routes will no longer serve Finch.
The finch bus sees a lot of traffic, so I wouldn't go that far, but ridership will probably reduce to under 50K PPD. There's also the giant parking lots there that can serve around 5K commuters and all the high rises attributed with the North York Centre area.

Aside from the Finch buses, I don't know what was still planned to continue runing into Finch. Neither the current 60, 53 or 42 or 125 would still go there. Obviously none of the YRT/Viva either. Not sure if GO or if the 97 bus would continue. Would be literally hundreds of buses an hour coming off of the stretch between 7 and Finch which, in terms of GHG emissions and road wear-and-tear alone (some of the worst bus knuckles in the region) is one of the least-talked-about benefits of opening the subway.

Can't handle what? They'll still have the terminal (perhaps better integrated with the subway and GO) and Yonge/7 and presumably service along Yonge would operate very, very differently than it does now; maybe no more Viva and just a local bus, like TTC's 97? That stuff is years down the road.
the increaesed ridership. and what about the people coming home after rush hour? but i agree, down the road.

The finch bus sees a lot of traffic, so I wouldn't go that far, but ridership will probably reduce to under 50K PPD. There's also the giant parking lots there that can serve around 5K commuters and all the high rises attributed with the North York Centre area.

I could see most of that parking disappear. Finch isn't close to any major highway. It won't be the end of a line. Because of those reasons, I could see the parking lots either torn up or rather empty.

We better see an overhaul of the local bus system then. VIVA can't handle all that.
You mean actually having routes that meet at Yonge from both east and west with similar numbering conventions?

Also, probably just YRT route 98/99 will remain on Yonge, beteeen Highway 7 and Steeles, while Bayview and Bathurst buses terminate at Steeles Station.

I wonder how the YNSE will affect GO buses along the 401?

Last edited:
You mean actually having routes that meet at Yonge from both east and west with similar numbering conventions?

Also, probably just YRT route 98/99 will remain on Yonge, beteeen Highway 7 and Steeles, while Bayview and Bathurst buses terminate at Steeles Station.

I wonder how the YNSE will affect GO buses along the 401?
I mean more midday and late night service on 7 days a week.

I could see most of that parking disappear. Finch isn't close to any major highway. It won't be the end of a line. Because of those reasons, I could see the parking lots either torn up or rather empty.

There's no development potential at all for either parking lot, it's under a hydro corridor. It might be leased to businesses and nearby condos, but there's no reason it won't remain as parking.

There's no development potential at all for either parking lot, it's under a hydro corridor. It might be leased to businesses and nearby condos, but there's no reason it won't remain as parking.
Given the size of the land would it be inconceivable to relocate the hydro lines underground into a tunnel of some sort?
Make it "Affordable Housing" and I am sure you could get the political willpower behind burying it.

Personally, I would love to see both some development on those parking lots, and a linear park connecting the two halves of the Hydro Corridor.

I would not be worried about Cummer Station.

Development will come. Cummer/Drewry will be to Finch Station what North York City Centre Station is to Sheppard Station.

Maybe we could put in a "Glen Echo" Station (halfway between York Mills and Lawrence Stations), since it is at the top of the hill south of York Mills. And another at "Glencairn-Blythwood" (halfway between Lawrence and Eglinton Stations).

Maybe we could put in a "Glen Echo" Station (halfway between York Mills and Lawrence Stations), since it is at the top of the hill south of York Mills. And another at "Glencairn-Blythwood" (halfway between Lawrence and Eglinton Stations).
The province mandates 150 persons/jobs per hectare around Major Transit Station Areas. This translates to 15,000 people per sq-km around these stations.

Could you imagine the civil war that would break out in Lytton, Lawrence, and Bedford Park if the City upzoned those areas for high density around the stations?'

On principle of effective management of land and resources and efficient planning, I would be completely supportive of that. It is valuable and critically under-used real estate. However, the politics of it are simply untenable.

Also, adding two stops would delay commuters north of York Mills, and add two additional points where human-caused delay could occur (seriously, we need platform screen doors), which given the capacity constraints of the Yonge Line, we should try to minimize. Every minute counts at rush hour.

Back