Toronto YC Condos -- Yonge at College | 198.42m | 62s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Here's how I "read" renderings: I look at the typical architect/builder's supply chain (ie their usual supplier of doors, spandrel, windows, brick, precast, cladding, flashing etc they've used on previous projects), I research the marketing company's history, I read what the developer thinks is hip, I compare the architects previous rendered proposals to the actual completed buildings, I consider the architects "artistry--how cool are they--their blog/website is an easy gauge--do they win design awards, would they be featured in leading architecture magazines?--and then I filter the results. It's almost like I'm un-photoshopping the renderings into my sense of reality.

Think of a simple box. Which architect would you hire to design the box?

I guarantee YC Condos as proposed will look like YUCK Condos c.2020.

Last edited:
Oh dear. Deserving of MCC but here!? :(

It's gonna end up looking like a taller version of DNA condos--acres of dreary grey spandrel and smokey black glass. Not very Yonge & Curvy.

Nonsensical statement, as Absolute World beats anything built in Toronto this boom, and perhaps ever.......you need to get out more...anyways, I like the base, the rest reminds me of Lago...

And of course, with Canderel and G+C, you get what you get...

Absolute World has a great shape ... but it's all smoke and mirrors in the details. Yes, I just said that.

(I get out a lot, the TTC gets me around just fine ... as well as Car2Go for those dreary Miserysauga Sunday drives.)

As for best tower built this boom? Well, up close and personal, the deets at those aA Distillery District towers always impress.

It's interesting how realtors are hyping this project ... other than BJL or Paul Johnston I don't know of any Toronto realtors I'd trust with exterior aesthetics....

Last edited:
UD, just an FYI, I don't even do pre-construction - there is no ulterior motive.....

also you and I do mostly agree on aA....but I believe MAD comes out on top, by a landslide...

According to e - YC is to be 66 stories?

FYI: YC Condos is set to be 66 storeys, not 63 - ome (ome) January 7, 2014

That doesn't make any sense. It was originally proposed at 60 storeys and planning staff negotiated it to 57 storeys. When was it ever 63 storeys?

Many vip agents saying it's 66 storeys, 599 units. Does anyone know how many units for the 57/60 storey iteration? If it is the same maybe they are counting mechanical or exaggerating podium height to make it seem more grand since they are touting it as the second phase of the 78 storey Aura.

On a related note is the building approved at 57 stories (is this over 200m)?

Last edited:
Planning staff approved it at 198 metres including mechanical.

Could they be squeezing an additional 9 storeys into the same height? They'd have to shave nearly half a metre off each floor.

Never thought about this...maybe they are trying to pull off 8.5 ft ceilings like Harbour Plaza did for most floors save the last several. I'm sure this small decrease won't deter 'investors' anyway.

Back