Toronto YC Condos -- Yonge at College | 198.42m | 62s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

We are definitely going to see more of this throughout most of the GTA in coming years:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...es_because_of_superstitious_connotations.html

This building is going to sell like hot cakes of the strength of Aura (which investors loved) and the lack of launches every other week in 2011 that I'm sure if they just skipped floor 4 (like most buildings) and kept 14, 24, 34, 54 someone would still buy

I actually quite like this! The thick black and white balconies provide a nice contrast with the blue glazing.
Much better than a half-baked ripoff of One Bloor.

Not including floors 13, 14, 24, 34, 44, and 54?
Huh...they must be expecting a lot of Chinese buyers. The sales staff at Shangri-La told me that their building doesn't have a fourth floor because of the high proportion of Chinese buyers, and "4"'s association with death and misfortune in the Chinese culture.

The number 13 is lucky in numerology and some cultures, including Chinese culture, interestingly enough.
The unlucky perception of the number 13 is not as apparent these days, especially amongst younger generations.

I think eliminating many of the floors that contain the number 4 is ridiculous. Just getting rid of 4th floor may be fine, but 14, 24, 34, etc. is excessive. The sad thing is that this is done for the sake of marketing.
The reality is that there will always be a 4th, 14th, etc. floor in a building but it's not numbered as such, it's just disguised as another numbered floor.
I heard a long time ago that there were buildings in Hong Kong that had a 4th floor but were designed as an empty, inaccessible floor. Now that is a way of truly avoiding the 4th floor altogether if you want to take it a step further.

Now back to the building, this is definitely one of G+C's better designs and is interesting to look at, though it seems that wrapping a simple glass tower with eye-catching patterns is merely decorative and gimmicky. I would love to see a clean sleek curtain-walled condo tower with nothing to distract or embellish its pure form.

One interesting feature here are the Juliette balconies that occur on some of the high floors, which could make for some really cool living rooms that open up to the sky.

Considering the neighborhood and the surroundings, how far up would you have to go to ensure you have a view?

southern views are probably safe. Eastern views will have to be above Karma, western views there is no height as it looks directly at a parking lot that can be developed with an unknown height, and southernly looks directly at a prime block of lowrise stores along yonge.

southern views are probably safe. Eastern views will have to be above Karma, western views there is no height as it looks directly at a parking lot that can be developed with an unknown height, and southernly looks directly at a prime block of lowrise stores along yonge.

I think you may have your compass reversed ?

I thought YC was along Yonge so wouldn't the eastern view be overlooking Yonge and facing the SDM and above ground parking lot with commercial units above?
Western views would look into Karma.
I thought the commercial building on the south was heritage property?
the north exposure is complete low rise commercial.

The number 13 is lucky in numerology and some cultures, including Chinese culture, interestingly enough.
The unlucky perception of the number 13 is not as apparent these days, especially amongst younger generations.

I think eliminating many of the floors that contain the number 4 is ridiculous. Just getting rid of 4th floor may be fine, but 14, 24, 34, etc. is excessive. The sad thing is that this is done for the sake of marketing.
The reality is that there will always be a 4th, 14th, etc. floor in a building but it's not numbered as such, it's just disguised as another numbered floor.
I heard a long time ago that there were buildings in Hong Kong that had a 4th floor but were designed as an empty, inaccessible floor. Now that is a way of truly avoiding the 4th floor altogether if you want to take it a step further.

Now back to the building, this is definitely one of G+C's better designs and is interesting to look at, though it seems that wrapping a simple glass tower with eye-catching patterns is merely decorative and gimmicky. I would love to see a clean sleek curtain-walled condo tower with nothing to distract or embellish its pure form.

One interesting feature here are the Juliette balconies that occur on some of the high floors, which could make for some really cool living rooms that open up to the sky.

I think the elimination of any floor with 4 is ridiculous and getting rid of 14, 24, 34, etc. is excessive.
developers could put amenities on the 4th floor if they are concerned no one would buy a unit on it.

I think you may have your compass reversed ?

I thought YC was along Yonge so wouldn't the eastern view be overlooking Yonge and facing the SDM and above ground parking lot with commercial units above?
Western views would look into Karma.
I thought the commercial building on the south was heritage property?
the north exposure is complete low rise commercial.

You are correct and I do think the south views are safe.

There is a surface lot behind the building on the other side of Yonge. Thus, eastern views can be blocked. Southern is the only side with "safe" views. (Probably the best view as well)

Are you talking about the Toronto Hydro lot? I somehow doubt they would either sell it off to be developed, or develop it themselves.

17 January 2014: Not surprisingly, dull branding for a dull project
k54y.jpg

Cuz it's gonna look like DNA3 only 4x the height.

I think the elimination of any floor with 4 is ridiculous and getting rid of 14, 24, 34, etc. is excessive.
developers could put amenities on the 4th floor if they are concerned no one would buy a unit on it.

maybe we should eliminate all floors, and thereby eliminate the project itself.

I saw one of the brochures. I huge chunk of it is in Chinese. It's clear which investors they're targeting.

Back