Toronto X The Condominium | ?m | 44s | Great Gulf | a—A

Great captures Drum (as always), I particularly like the contrast in height against Casa. Although X is 6 or 7 floors + mech. away from topping off, it appears that the two will come very close as being nearly identical in height, give or take a dozen or so feet.

A Stunner Building

3X

It isn't as black as the renders because of the glass. The glass has has a green tint to it which lightens the overall appearance of the building. A grey tint in the windows would have been absolutely perfect.

Agree!! Also now that ceiling height division walls are going up on the balconies..I can/t wait to see the remaining 2 FT of the frosted glass division completion..also ceiling height..very private then.

Last edited:
Really I don't mind if they make a many more buildings like this...

Its like a mini-Td Centre...

Really I don't mind if they make a many more buildings like this...

It's a stunner I think. Looking up Jarvis St, it just changes the whole feel of that area of the city. From Manitoba to Manhattan. What a great building.

Something really confuses me here on this forum...A general consensus I gathered since becoming a member here back in June is that people HATE rectangular buildings becuase it's uninspiring and bland....don't get me wrong, I really like X but what confuses me is why this rectangular building is exceptionally 'stunning' to so many of you?

Well, I don't 'hate' rectangular buildings, nor do most of the people here, I believe. What we do have here are a vocal minority of people endlessly repeating their disdain for 'boxes', while the majority of people don't bother responding, since they have learned that it is pointless to argue with them.

Something really confuses me here on this forum...A general consensus I gathered since becoming a member here back in June is that people HATE rectangular buildings becuase it's uninspiring and bland....don't get me wrong, I really like X but what confuses me is why this rectangular building is exceptionally 'stunning' to so many of you?

it may have to do more with the execution of the box, than the shape itself.

a box is the best shape for usable sf as there aren't odd angles.
curves may be 'sexy' on the outside, but don't leave much options for layouts on the inside.

take a look at some of the units in met condos @ yonge/carlton ... their 2 bedroom model suite had a curved wall of glass which made the LR/DR completely useless.

there are good boxes and bad boxes... my main concern is that we are just getting too many pure box shaped buildings. We need more variety and some different shapes popping up in the skyline. As for furnishing irregular shaped rooms, you just need to think unconventionally or perhaps watch more of those home renovation shows for some ideas!

Personally even though I tend to dislike boxes, I love this one. Wonderfully clean lines, strong patterning from the black framed windows and floors, quality materials, serious height, good detail with the randomly placed colour panels, etc. But from viewing all these photos I always like the way X contrasts with the PoMo of Rogers across the street. So that takes me back to my original point that we need to have a variety of building shapes to keep things interesting...

Well, I don't 'hate' rectangular buildings, nor do most of the people here, I believe. What we do have here are a vocal minority of people endlessly repeating their disdain for 'boxes', while the majority of people don't bother responding, since they have learned that it is pointless to argue with them.
Yes, this.

I think this building is popular as a result of its handsome design, use of good building materials, and the modernist architectural influences, which are considered to be timeless (and happen to be very popular right now).

Shape and massing are not everything. Like the TD centre, which for many is the pinnacle of minimalist-modernist design, this is a sexy, dignified building that doesn't rely on gaudy features like you'd see on PoMo or faux-historic designs (which are usually very unpopular because they are rarely tasteful).

I can see where you're coming from.

For me, one of the things that makes this building stand out is the way the balconies are embedded and that the balcony railing/glass is a continuation of the rest of the building. This is just good design.

Shape and massing are not everything. Like the TD centre, which for many is the pinnacle of minimalist-modernist design, this is a sexy, dignified building that doesn't rely on gaudy features like you'd see on PoMo or faux-historic designs (which are usually very unpopular because they are rarely tasteful).

Be careful what you say about PoMo, because it was a far-reaching style which produced both brilliant and gaudy buildings.

That just indicates that an assumed consensus does not tell you everything (or even much). A very few people will hate all rectangular buildings just because they are rectangles. Many others will judge such buildings on things other than their shape - such as their design or cladding. Personally speaking, I like X because of its clean exterior design and proportions.

Back