Toronto Women's College Hospital | 70.1m | 10s | P.E.B.

Yep the entire thing is coming down ... its clear from all the renderings.

Rage mode initiated.

I see like 50 people protesting in front of postal station K every day. Why does nobody seem to care about this imminent demo????

Last edited:
It's much less imminent than the old Riverdale Hospital half-round demo I think.

AoD

It's a question of what we lose and what we get. Deco semi-skyscrapers are precious rare in Toronto. And in exchange we get a glorified parking structure. Over at Bridgepoint, we get DSAI at their best and a restored Don Jail. The trade was a much better one for the city, to say the least.

I see like 50 people protesting in front of postal station K every day. Why does nobody seem to care about this imminent demo????

Because most of them are NIMBYs who don't really care about heritage?

(Or was that a rhetorical question?)

Because most of them are NIMBYs who don't really care about heritage?

(Or was that a rhetorical question?)

Nope you hit the nail on the head (for the record I am a fan of Postal Station K and would hate to see it demolished

k10:

For the record, I am not agreeing with the decision of tearing down the Art Deco structure - but I think it is/will be difficult for anyone to interfere with that because at the end of the day it is a provincial (read Infrastructure Ontario) project. I hate to say it, but fighting a hospital for replacing an outmoded structure with a new one doesn't really produce any political winners. I suppose the question I have is whether one really have to tear it down, considering the original plans/proposal seems to see the structure preserved, and the latest renderings suggest that the footprint will be used as a park, of all things.

AoD

Lets not forget this from 3-1/2 years ago..

This is the building they want to demolish. It's just west of Bay St. I've always liked this building and have photographed it a number of times over the years. I'd hate to see it go.

ken2.jpg

ken1.jpg

^Very good point. I will admit that I prefer Burano, but if I was aware of that demo a few years back I'm sure it would have bothered me.

Not certain what you mean sMT. The Kenson was also taken down for Women's College, not for Burano.

The hospital it self is more of a loss I'd argue.

But again, in these cases its hard, I'm sure renovating the building to make it work would be extremely costly ... one could argue the city could let them tear down the parking garage the rental building pictured above and that's it (i.e. what they've already done) ... they could have built higher. But then the old hospital would sit abandoned ... who would ever take it over in the future ? Maybe UofT but I can't see anyone else stepping in.

Not certain what you mean sMT. The Kenson was also taken down for Women's College, not for Burano.

I for some reason was under the impression that it was demolished to make way for Burano. Sorry bout that, and thanks for clearing it up 42 :)

For a place of health, well-being and convalescence, this is appalling. Luckily, Burano does a good job hiding this mess! I made more attractive buildings with my girders and panels (anyone?) when I was a child!

That has got to be the worst building going up in Toronto right now. It looks like a huge parking structure. Thank god it's mostly hidden by Burano.

Back