Toronto Women's College Hospital | 70.1m | 10s | P.E.B.

Please select architects' mode of execution:

Firing squad

Lethal injection

Electric chair

Hanging

Gas chamber

Is there an architecture equivalent to the Golden Raspberry Awards (aka "The Razzies")?

Well, the Pugs were initially just that, but they've changed their format. Rather than shaming bad architecture in Toronto, they now focus on highlighting the best architecture in Toronto. I suspect that it had something to do with the fact that the people who created the awards are heavily involved in the development industry and probably weren't doing themselves any favours by publicly castigating their peers, associates and potential clients.

Application: Partial Permit Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5S 1B2

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 11 279729 SHO 00 PP Accepted Date: Oct 24, 2012

Project: Hospital Partial Permit - Shoring

Description: Part Permit - Proposal to construct a 9 sty hospital with 3 levels of below grade parking. Womens College. PHASE 2

16 November 2012:

20121116152654.jpg

20121116153005.jpg

As much as I dislike this building, the upper cladding is interesting to me. Walking down the street this morning I noticed it was reflecting nicely in the morning sunlight, adding an interesting contrast to the brutal concrete shade below and bringing out its shape.

Photos taken 7 January 2013

IMG_2239_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2242_1-X2.jpg

IMG_2245_1-X2.jpg

And what I assume is demolition to make way for phase 2.

IMG_2243_1-XL.jpg

Wow, how is it even possible for a building to get that dirty in such a short period of time. In that second picture it looks disgusting

Wow, how is it even possible for a building to get that dirty in such a short period of time. In that second picture it looks disgusting

Everything about this building is disgusting, except its main function but that doesn't excuse it. It's just sad that a building this ugly is going up in 2013.

As much as I dislike this building, the upper cladding is interesting to me. Walking down the street this morning I noticed it was reflecting nicely in the morning sunlight, adding an interesting contrast to the brutal concrete shade below and bringing out its shape.

You mean that delightful beige aluminum siding they have thrown up?

I think it was like that upon installation. Perhaps a paintjob is still forthcoming.

And what I assume is demolition to make way for phase 2.

Phase 2 is across the street from there and adjacent to the hulk. That lot you got the picture of is supposed to be that big Ontario Gov't office building. I don't think they're going ahead with that right now, so this demolition might just be to create a parking lot.

Back