Toronto Women's College Hospital | 70.1m | 10s | P.E.B.

Not only will this be potentially one of the ugliest buildings in Toronto history, it may be worst ageing building too. Those panels already look dirty and grimey.

I think it looks sort of cool--a concrete bunker next to the all glass Burano--a study in contrasts.

Yes hiring better architects--like at the Sick Kids research building--would've been the best solution.

Weren't you deriding the appearance of that building just the other day?

"I am not a fan of this building. It's very dreary/muted Toronto where red brick needs to be used to create some classic streetwall."
"28 April 2012: Did colour-blind folks choose the glazing? Really an unfortunate choice. (Maybe they took the "Sick" Kids literally? Looks like vomit!)"

That said, yes, the Women's College redevelopment is horrifying. Maybe it's being designed as a bunker in anticipation of the impending apocalypse...

25 June 2012: I kind of like it.

20120625151935.jpg

I think the glass will make or break this one - and if it breaks, it will be brutal. Should have hired KPMB instead - their project with IO for Bridgepoint is stunning.

AoD

Diamond Schmitt you mean?

I think the glass will make or break this one - and if it breaks, it will be brutal. Should have hired KPMB instead - their project with IO for Bridgepoint is stunning.

AoD

There are not IFs about it, this one is BRUTAL! If I bought a condo at Burano, and had to overlook this paring lot looking structure, I would be quite upset. Hell, I would most definitely, move.

Well, caveat emptor - it isn't like any of the buyers didn't expect Women's College Hospital to rebuild - and if they didn't, they just didn't do their homework properly.

AoD

clearly it was designed as a tribute to the parking garage that used to sit on this site! as for the glass making or breaking it - one look at android's pic says it all. They must have bought the materials from a surplus / mix and match sale. And to think that a team of designers collects a paycheck for that... let's hope the trees on the podium roof of Burano will be really tall and act as a buffer from Bay St!

It looks disgusting and unfortunate, but it serves a higher purpose and has been built with non-profit money. If this was a condo or bank tower I'd be up in arms.

Back