Toronto Vita on the Lake | 177.08m | 53s | Mattamy Homes | Graziani + Corazza

Again, I was just trying to think of other ways to alleviate the situation. I get that the area needs more transit, but guess what, that isn't happening for at minimum ten more years if something was approved in the next few. It isn't naive either, and it certainly isn't like telling someone with depression to get over it. It was a suggestion considering the infrastructure is already there. My dad is 70 and bikes only to work. I guess it depends how closed minded people are to modes of transport where some input from the user is required. Denmark, Norway and Sweden get considerable cold weather too and Toronto doesn't get -30 winds all that often, but it sound like you've made up your mind that this isn't a great idea for you, so I digress as I am getting off the topic of the thread anyway.
Great.. Good on your dad. How far is his bike commute?

It isn't even the transit, it's everything. Keyz, you'd know this, we get almost weekly BLACKOUTS because the hydro infrastructure is overloaded and cannot handle the demand. Who the hell is running the show at the city? What is Keesmaat's team doing to add any value? How can you allow so many buildings and have no basic infrastructure such as adequate hydro supply? These are outrageous things that wouldn't even happen in Eastern Europe or China. The only time I experienced blackouts of that frequency was in Chennai... I had to go to India to experience what I do here. Fascinating and telling.

No - the city bares 100% of the responsibility. Full stop. Grimes keeps saying it's not his fault, but the OMB overruled him on the Park Lawn towers... LOL! That was 6 years ago! You've had 6 years to figure out how to accommodate the additional units!

Incompetence, but at the end, completely the city's. Jobs should be lost over this and these people are lucky their names are unknown to the residents of HBS.

Is that a threat?

Great.. Good on your dad. How far is his bike commute?

It isn't even the transit, it's everything. Keyz, you'd know this, we get almost weekly BLACKOUTS because the hydro infrastructure is overloaded and cannot handle the demand. Who the hell is running the show at the city? What is Keesmaat's team doing to add any value? How can you allow so many buildings and have no basic infrastructure such as adequate hydro supply? These are outrageous things that wouldn't even happen in Eastern Europe or China. The only time I experienced blackouts of that frequency was in Chennai... I had to go to India to experience what I do here. Fascinating and telling.

He commutes from Y and E to Seneca at Finch and the 404. I get that he is probably the exception though. Anyway, it was just another option. If even some people took up commuter biking it would help, would it not? It's not all that far from Humber Bay to downtown for instance. Work places should accommodate that too in my opinion, it might reduce lateness of staff from accidents on the roads, and might increase workers energy levels also. I also get that the city needs to accomodate better bike options, but it seems like they are starting to "get it" with Bloor and the Richmond/Adelaide options...

The hydro thing is a bit bizarre.

Is that a threat?
I wish - if these people are your colleagues, tell them they shouldn't be hired to sweep hallways in the subway, and tell their boss to go back to Peterborough where she can microfocus on issues and ignore the big picture, because there isn't any.

CaptainHyperbole.jpg

Ok, while I agree that the transport infrastructure could be better, things aren't quite as dire as you portray them. For example, I either take a bike or the 145 express to get to work downtown. Each option has its challenges - advanced clothing / shower planning for the bike and occasional scheduling issues with the bus. Can't say that either option takes a strain - I love the scenery riding along the Lake trail and the bus provides some good time to read a book - in both cases I'm at work within 20-40 mins, depending on the day.

If you ever try to get around in North York in rush hour, particularly around Steeles & Dufferin / Bathurst area, you might find the Lake Shore / PL gridlock rather mild.

I have noticed the blackouts, but they seem to happen when I'm not home and last for only a few minutes. I doubt that this is a capacity issue, but is rather related to the multiple ongoing construction projects hooking up to the grid or testing equipment etc. The biggest inconvenience to me is adjusting the oven clock a few minutes forward.
I've spent about half my life living in Eastern Europe and Asia and believe me, as bad as the situation at HBS may seem to you, it would be on the excellent part of the spectrum for many places outside of NA / Western Europe.

Last edited:
It has nothing to do with hydro hookups, but supply: Here's why the city can't do anything with the Mr. Christie's site

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2013/ed/bgrd/backgroundfile-63607.pdf

Q1: Given the emerging and existing area context, what do you think the constraints are to businesses/institutions locating at this site? Transportation- moving people versus moving materials; closing the Park Lawn off-ramp; public transportation/transit poor Regulatory Requirements - Difficult for manufacturing to operate with a 7am -7pm curfew Power/Hydro- power outages in area Infrastructure- capacity issues with the municipal infrastructure Building Envelope Constraints to accommodate modern Manufacturing, Pillar size location, Ceiling Heights Land Value/Residential- conversion of site will increase land values; value of site due to proximity to core

Group Discussion/Questions of Clarification  Toronto Hydro was asked about the power issues for the Mr. Christie's site.  In previous meeting, Mondelez mentioned power outages as a significant issue, referring to "micro-outages" which caused their production lines to be disrupted on a number of occasions.  Toronto Hydro reported about 30% of hydro outages are due to equipment in Ward 6.  Toronto Hydro to provide a list of planned improvements for Ward 6 - planning to spend $ 2.4 million which is significant compared to other areas of the City at this time. Recognize that there are problems working hard to get approvals from the Ontario Energy Board to fix them. Most of the problems in Toronto are in the former suburban municipalities, including South Etobicoke.  Humber Bay Shores Residents Association Requested the Hydro timeline of when the power system would be upgraded.

Now that was 3 years ago - clearly no improvements were made. The city agencies are very good at giving us lip service but no actual money... Meanwhile, HBS is all $$$$ for the city's revenue department.

If you ever try to get around in North York in rush hour, particularly around Steeles & Dufferin / Bathurst area, you might find the Lake Shore / PL gridlock rather mild.

Except they're getting a subway line there, and we have a bus.. maybe.. if it makes it out of the traffic jam.

No - the city bares 100% of the responsibility. Full stop. Grimes keeps saying it's not his fault, but the OMB overruled him on the Park Lawn towers... LOL! That was 6 years ago! You've had 6 years to figure out how to accommodate the additional units!

Incompetence, but at the end, completely the city's. Jobs should be lost over this and these people are lucky their names are unknown to the residents of HBS.

The city has indeed been utterly incompetent when it comes to building transit infrastructure to serve the area, however, you're not forced to live there either.

I get that Europe does it, and good for them, but it's not for everyone, and their climate is significantly better than ours. Those -30 winds blowing off the lake during the winter are totally cycling weather.

Cycling in those conditions is not as difficult as you think if you dress appropriately.

The traffic situation in Humber Bay Shores is not being exaggerated. You can play around with Google Maps now to show you the traffic congestion in Humber Bay at different times of the day/week.

https://goo.gl/maps/C1CKds9b7bP2

Set it to Monday 8AM to see for yourself. The only non-highway area in the city that is comparable is where Allen Road dumps its congestion on Eglinton Ave W.

The city has indeed been utterly incompetent when it comes to building transit infrastructure to serve the area, however, you're not forced to live there either.

What? I've lived there for 20 years and I have no intention to leave. The city ruined a great neighbourhood and they should be held to task to fix their incompetence.

This is just as stupid as suggesting natives to leave Attawapiskat. Why? Because the country screwed up again? Way to blame the victims.

The traffic situation in Humber Bay Shores is not being exaggerated. You can play around with Google Maps now to show you the traffic congestion in Humber Bay at different times of the day/week.

https://goo.gl/maps/C1CKds9b7bP2

Set it to Monday 8AM to see for yourself. The only non-highway area in the city that is comparable is where Allen Road dumps its congestion on Eglinton Ave W.
Thank you... I didn't know you could pull up historic trends on Google Maps.. Thanks for the heads up.

I have to say, the comments about biking are pretty funny. I stopped biking along the lake trail. You can't even enjoy that anymore, there are way too many people, biking, roller blading, walking, it really is unsafe, particularly where there is not a separated path for bikers/walkers. Parents with kids going all over the track; which, I get it, is there for everyone to enjoy. I'm debating moving out of the area, it's disappointing because it had so much potential, and I actually like the buildings, but I think this is an area that has been forgotten by the city. Why are we talking about Scarborough subways, or subways to Vaughan and Richmond Hill, when this huge area has probably the worst rapid transit in the city, relative to its high density (and only increasing). Everybody drives, myself included, because there are no incentives for anything else, around here. The fact that even the 66 is not yet part of the 10 minute or better frequency routes is a failure on the part of the local councillor. The odd time that I do rely on transit (usually a Friday or Saturday evening), I notice that the 501 and 66 arrive at about the same time (to Park Lawn and Lake Shore), requiring one to wait another 10-15 minutes for the next possible way out if you miss them.

What? I've lived there for 20 years and I have no intention to leave. The city ruined a great neighbourhood and they should be held to task to fix their incompetence.

This is just as stupid as suggesting natives to leave Attawapiskat. Why? Because the country screwed up again? Way to blame the victims.

People on this board have politely been offering perfectly viable alternative suggestions due to your incessant petulant whining on this issue, yet clearly you feel you have no other options and choose to lash out. That's your problem.

And to seriously compare your living situation with that of natives in Attawapiskat?? If it wasn't so hilariously delusional, it would be downright offensive.

They have started putting up sales boards around the neighbourhood for Vita now.

Yay more construction. Not!

Wow. This thread is an interesting read.

I do think it's a bit weird that better transit options are not being looked into faster here.

Back