Toronto Vita on the Lake | 177.08m | 53s | Mattamy Homes | Graziani + Corazza

From the above:

West-end councillors gave the green light this week to another large, multi-building development proposal in Humber Bay Shores.

Great. More cruddy G+C on the western waterfront...

Approved today by City Council.

Are you serious? There's nothing special about these condos.

Take the Voyager complex, for instance. The massing is interesting with 4 confident setbacks. The sawtooth side facades are both striking and practical: they maximize views of the waterfront for residents. Then there's the sail-like mechanical box--a contextualist gesture that provides one final setback. The facades also have a number of monumental grid patterns to avoid monotony. The complex would be outstanding if not for some banal cladding.

I wouldn't call the sawtooth striking. It's practicality has made it commonplace in condo design here in Toronto. The sail is a cheap metal clad add on too. I don't find the choice of window wall that bad. It would be better without the spandrel panels everywhere but, their purely functional aesthetic is integral to the tower's interior layout. It's not a practical design without the spandrel.

Sawtooth details aren't particularly common--most new condos are just rectangular podiums and box towers. The mechanical box may be cheaply finished, but it's nicely integrated into the overall design. Voyager and Explorer are likable projects with some interesting details, even if they're not particularly sophisticated architecture.

To my eyes, the best looking new condo down in HBS is Waterscapes, and that's a G+C project for Monarch. Lago could be good too.

hb.jpg
How about this one?

http://mattamyhomes.com/gtacondos.aspx

Untitled.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 3,063
  • hb.jpg
    hb.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 1,601
Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed the same ad on Mattamy's website yesterday lol. 53 storeys is nothing to sneeze at!

They probably wouldve gotten away with a taller proposal if they were interested, since the OMB has almost single handily screwed up this neighborhood. Well that and Toronto's archaic zoning by-laws.

They'd have to do through rezoning again. I believe this was originally a twin to Lago. I wonder if they squeezed in the extra floors or got a minor variance.

This development has a name now; Vita on the Lake. It's pretty much a twin massing-wise to Lago and Riva del Lago, although the expression won't match the alternating black/white theme of Lago. Expect marketing to start soon!

Back