Toronto Union Subway Station: Second Platform and Concourse Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC | IBI Group

Obviously when the QQE LRT is built there will be some disruption to the loop and the Bay Street tunnel but I doubt it will result in closure of the existing tunnel and loop for the whole of the construction period. Hopefully not more than maybe 6 months. The plan is for the new line to start to go underground at Cooper Street and they will need to create the Y or T junction at the Queens Quay end of the existing tunnel and then expand the loop. I suspect they can make the T or Y connection without a long closure but I am not sure if the current loop can be kept functioning while an extension is built and then speedily connected. We shall see, I hope!
For the junction, maybe not even 6 months. I'd have thought the bigger work would have been the reconstruction of the LRT platforms at Union. On the figure above, everything in light blue is new. Every wall in the existing station goes. I'd have to assume there's be a significant closure to the LRT platform and to Bay street to accomplish this.

I think Bremner is the project which should be given up on to simplify the loop rebuild. It was always a bit of a long shot and rails haven't been put in along Fort York Boulevard during the redevelopment. If Skydome does get NFL if the Bills leave Buffalo then the security theatre around there is going to bork operations several times a year anyway. WWLRT could just be an extension of existing 509 operations.

Why not? It was one of very few Toronto projects explictly mentioned in the provincial budget last month. Construction has already started on the rebuild of the Queens Quay east, which sets aside the ROW.

I'm hopeful that construction on the LRT itself can start in late 2015 or 2016, stopping LRT running into Union until 2017 or 2018.

I just figured there's no appetite for disruptive construction at Union anymore due to the last few years.

Obviously when the QQE LRT is built there will be some disruption to the loop and the Bay Street tunnel but I doubt it will result in closure of the existing tunnel and loop for the whole of the construction period. Hopefully not more than maybe 6 months. The plan is for the new line to start to go underground at Cooper Street and they will need to create the Y or T junction at the Queens Quay end of the existing tunnel and then expand the loop. I suspect they can make the T or Y connection without a long closure but I am not sure if the current loop can be kept functioning while an extension is built and then speedily connected. We shall see, I hope!

Whatever area is in yellow would likely stay. The area in blue is new, but could be built behind the existing wall. To take down the wall between the yellow and blue should take the same length of time it took them to take down the walls at North York Centre Station, which was created after the extension to Finch Station was made.

attachment.php

Whatever area is in yellow would likely stay. The area in blue is new, but could be built behind the existing wall. To take down the wall between the yellow and blue should take the same length of time it took them to take down the walls at North York Centre Station, which was created after the extension to Finch Station was made.
Wasn't the existing tunnel at North York Centre built by TBM and was circular?

Would the existing Bay tunnel stay standing if you removed all the material from the sides?

I haven't looked at any of the design ... but that's my first thought.

Last edited:
Wasn't the existing tunnel at North York Centre built by TBM and was circular?

Would the existing Bay tunnel stay standing if you removed all the material from the sides?

North of Sheppard the line is cut-and-cover. You can tell by the centre supports as North York Centre Station has side platforms. If it were tunneled using a TBM there would be enough spacing between the two tunnels for a centre platform (in most cases).

North of Sheppard the line is cut-and-cover. You can tell by the centre supports as North York Centre Station has side platforms. If it were tunneled using a TBM there would be enough spacing between the two tunnels for a centre platform (in most cases).
No TBM? I don't recall the fuss about closing Yonge for that construction that there was back in the 1940s south of Bloor.

Your right about the spacing though ...

I guess it depends exactly how the Bay tunnel was built.

I thought that too, but I'm at a loss to think of anything better either.

A few VIA, GO (and eventually UPE) logos could help I suppose.

That's what I thought too -
The logos would differentiate those services from the TTC Subway

Maybe they should just say "To VIA Trains, Go Trains and Union Pearson Express Trains"

The sign is sort of already in the Union Station complex.

Back