Toronto Union Subway Station: Second Platform and Concourse Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC | IBI Group

Yep, agreed. 5 minutes in illustrator:
Ks8D5UE.jpg
Nice. Although, a bus logo would probably also be appropriate on the Regional side. It could arguably say "Regional/National Services" instead (over "transit" which always sounds local). And the UPE logo too! And then send to Brad Ross. Thank you. :p

Maybe two rows on the right side:
1st row: > train icon - GO/VIA/UPX/Amtrak
2nd row: > coach icon - GO/Megabus/ONTC/Greyhound/Coach Canada (with room for 1-2 more if needed down the road)

The joint Amtrak/VIA Rail Canada "Maple Leaf" to Toronto and other thoughts...

Well, for one, Amtrak doesn't really run to Union Station.

It may look like it, but that train is staffed, scheduled and operated by VIA, using Amtrak equipment. If Amtrak pulled out of the service tomorrow, VIA would run it with their own equipment.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Dan: You are right-The joint Amtrak/VIA "Maple Leaf" from Niagara Falls,Ontario to Toronto is officially a VIA Rail train for that segment...

I will add that this through train's very survival was provided that the stretch of track across the Whirlpool Bridge - which is less then
one mile - was not abandoned when CN proposed its demise - instead Amtrak and VIA teamed up to save it - and the service itself -
despite the bureaucracy of US CBP and CBSA which complicates matters to a large extent...

I think that Amtrak would run a replacement Empire Service train NFL-NYP to replace the through Maple Leaf but with VIA I am
not so sure - VIA could run a single day train TOR-HML-NFS using the current schedule but noting how VIA cut the other two
round trips using this route this could lead to VIA ending the remaining service on this route - and allowing a GO Transit Rail
takeover of all train service on this route...

I would like to see this jointly operated "Maple Leaf" service remain as it is allowing Amtrak (along with VIA) to continue to serve
Toronto from NY State...and for GO Transit to increase their presence on this route...LI MIKE

Last edited:
Yep, agreed. 5 minutes in illustrator:

Ks8D5UE.jpg

P23: These signs are not bad...I noticed the inclusion of Amtrak along with GO and VIA...

With the mention of Amtrak I have noticed that TTC's Ride Guides have included Amtrak on their
base map since sometime in the 1990s...It can be hard to find but it IS there...LI MIKE

Last edited:
Yes, I made sure that we added the Amtrak logo when we digitized the Ride Guide. Digitization allowed us to improve symbols on the maps significantly.

Any idea if they'll install the TVs on the new platform ? The ceiling heights are so low I'm not sure if they'd fit ... but it would suck not to have the 'arrival time'

Any idea if they'll install the TVs on the new platform ? The ceiling heights are so low I'm not sure if they'd fit ... but it would suck not to have the 'arrival time'

Good point, I noticed that omission. Personally I really like knowing the minutes till next train. They could also have it just mounted to the wall. Even Sheppard doesn't have the screens last time I was there.

Don't forget that the place is still under construction. Things will change. And I'm sure that NextStop will be there.

I'm curious about why Sheppard still has by received it after all these years.

.... seriously? you are being sarcastic, or just d..mb
Uh ... what?

Someone mentioned a few years ago, that some of those displays had been displayed because of asbestos issues in the station ceilings at some stations.

I was simply curious if that was the issue here.

Why would you assume that this is can only either sarcastic or dumb? It was a serious question. That's very rude.

I don't recall if Sheppard was a station with asbestos issues or not. If you know better, perhaps you can simply state so, rather than being unnecessarily rude.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:

Back