Toronto Union Subway Station: Second Platform and Concourse Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC | IBI Group

niftz:

Considering the importance of the cover over moat for maintaining a pleasant environment, yeah I don't doubt the roof will remain - though it was reported that the quoted cost was 10x over the original estimate.

AoD

niftz:

Considering the importance of the cover over moat for maintaining a pleasant environment, yeah I don't doubt the roof will remain - though it was reported that the quoted cost was 10x over the original estimate.
Yikes!

Hopefully they've considered how to ventilate. I took the PATH glass walkway from ACC to Maple Leaf Square the other day for the first time in the summer sun. It's an oven, and it wasn't even particularly hot outside. You leave your kids in their for 15 minutes, and they could die. I couldn't see any sign of ventilation, and big heavy doors at either end. You wonder how something like that meets building code ...

Yikes!

Hopefully they've considered how to ventilate. I took the PATH glass walkway from ACC to Maple Leaf Square the other day for the first time in the summer sun. It's an oven, and it wasn't even particularly hot outside. You leave your kids in their for 15 minutes, and they could die. I couldn't see any sign of ventilation, and big heavy doors at either end. You wonder how something like that meets building code ...

Can't speak for the ventilation but the heavy doors at either end are actually a requirement to meet fire code. If those doors did not exist, a fire in one of those buildings would quickly engulf the other.

Can't speak for the ventilation but the heavy doors at either end are actually a requirement to meet fire code. If those doors did not exist, a fire in one of those buildings would quickly engulf the other.
Oh, that I can see. But with a lack of ventilation ... what if a small child was to wander in with the door open. There's so little traffic through there on a sunny day (it's far easier to walk outside), the child would be dead pretty quickly.

Those will stay; fire regs.
While fire doors are a requirement of fire regulations, I don't think that the regs require that the be closed all the time. I think the regs allow for systems where the doors are powered open, but automatically close as soon as the power is cut, or the fire alarm goes off. Of course this costs a lot more money.

I'm not an expert though ... I only start delving through the regulations when it becomes relevant to ongoing office upgrades.

Last edited:
Oh, that I can see. But with a lack of ventilation ... what if a small child was to wander in with the door open. There's so little traffic through there on a sunny day (it's far easier to walk outside), the child would be dead pretty quickly.

While fire doors are a requirement of fire regulations, I don't think that the regs require that the be closed all the time. I think the regs allow for systems where the doors are powered open, but automatically close as soon as the power is cut, or the fire alarm goes off. Of course this costs a lot more money.

I'm not an expert though ... I only start delving through the regulations when it becomes relevant to ongoing office upgrades.

I am no expert either but I would think that doors at the end of a tunnel like that would be required to remain closed.....I really get what you are saying about the ventilation (and not minimizing it at all) but the way to deal with that is not to create an air sucking tube in the event of a fire.

I am no expert either but I would think that doors at the end of a tunnel like that would be required to remain closed.....I really get what you are saying about the ventilation (and not minimizing it at all) but the way to deal with that is not to create an air sucking tube in the event of a fire.
I'd simply think you'd put HVAC into the walkway, so that we don't potentially cook small animals and children in the summer sun.

you think summer is bad - try going through it in winter. Its a shock to the system how cold it gets in there.

I'd simply think you'd put HVAC into the walkway, so that we don't potentially cook small animals and children in the summer sun.
Who would leave their child in there? That makes no sense. They're for getting from one place to the next.

Who would leave their child in there? That makes no sense. They're for getting from one place to the next.
I mentioned the scenario before ... small child wanders off in Maple Leaf Square (perhaps the grocery store or the restaurant), wander through door into glass tunnel as it's closing. Can't get out. It's not a very busy walkway in the summer.

Unlikely ... sure. But I always figure it's pretty unlikely and makes no sense that an adult would forget a child in a backwards-facing car seat ... and that seems to happen regularly enough to kill a handful of kids every year.

That aside - aren't there ventilation requirements in the building code for public spaces?

In the PATH, several buildings now used electromagnetic door openers. They are open most of the time. If there is a fire (or the electricity turns off) the doors automatically close.

In the PATH, several buildings now used electromagnetic door openers. They are open most of the time. If there is a fire (or the electricity turns off) the doors automatically close.

Yes....but i think there is a difference in how a fire reacts to adjoining buildings and buildings that are connected by a long tube that has nothing but oxygen in them. Like I said, I am no expert but I do understand that different circumstances have different solutions and it would not shock me that how fire doors are treated is different when two buildings essentially adjoin as opposed to having a channel/tunnel/bridge connecting them.

The closest thing I can think of in the underground is how Scotia Plaza connects to First Canadian through that long tunnel....haven't been there in a while but the last time I was I remember the doors being closed at both ends until someone opens them.

Union Station is about to get a pretty major artwork. It's the reason that the rest of the station has a neutral palette.

Back