Toronto Union Subway Station: Second Platform and Concourse Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC | IBI Group

While the Union subway station is naturally a mess with construction, the TTC has a lot of staff directing people to ease the congestion and for some unfathomable reason they seem to actually care about doing a good job. It's like an alternative-universe TTC down there.

Perhaps it's because, for a lot of people who use Union, it's either their first experience with the TTC (tourists), or people who don't come downtown that often (GO users), and thus aren't familiar with the changes happening. I used Union about a month ago for the first time in about 8 months, and even I had to really look at the signs to figure out where the heck I was supposed to go (and I follow this thread quite closely!). Imagine someone who is only an occasional user. Kudos to the TTC for not leaving many first-time or very infrequent riders with a bad taste in their mouth.

I've had tourists come up to me asking which way to go at platform level a few times now, the signage is horrible and confusing as you can't use "northbound" and "soutbound". And of course, there are never any TTC staff on platform level.

Of course to me this just speaks to some broader problems with TTC signage and customer service in general. But, being a daily user of Union subway station, I can't wait for construction to finish. The existing arrangement has been long inadequate and frankly I'm surprised that Union, being the fourth-busiest TTC station and biggest interchange with GO and tourist use etc. has for years been one of the most cramped, dated, dirty, and frankly "ghetto"-looking stations in the system.

While the Union subway station is naturally a mess with construction, the TTC has a lot of staff directing people to ease the congestion and for some unfathomable reason they seem to actually care about doing a good job. It's like an alternative-universe TTC down there.

I love this post. I nominate it for post of the week or month or whatever. Too funny. :)

At TTC meeting on Wed, a presentation was made on the 2nd platform and the artwork for the new wall for the Yonge line once the new platform into service summer of 2014. It was not on line before the meeting and still not as I post this.

One hand is saying the platform will open in July, but not the loop. Another hand say both will open in Aug. Another hand said both will open in July. Talk about hands not talking to each other is confusion considering they are high ranking management.

Wouldn't be surprised if the platform opens in July but the loop opens august. We know streetcar service will return to Queens Quay on August 31st, so that is when the loop will presumably be rebuilt.

Wouldn't be surprised if the platform opens in July but the loop opens august. We know streetcar service will return to Queens Quay on August 31st, so that is when the loop will presumably be rebuilt.

Still can put the 509 back out on the line and help to deal with the mess last year for the Ex. You could put one of the new cars on line at that time, but will have to move it to 510 since there maybe 6-12 in service by then. Hope to have more cars by then seem to low on people radar with what is taking place now.

There is talk TTC is going to do the power line work in the duct now as hydro is asking too much money for doing the work. As well on how long Hydro is taking to do the work now.

We HOPE streetcar service will return by then.

Work could be done outside of the current streetcar loop until they need to tear down the separating walls and the joining of the tracks.

Union Station Streetcar Loop Expansion.jpg

Attachments

• Union Station Streetcar Loop Expansion.jpg
    Union Station Streetcar Loop Expansion.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 3,123
Drum said: "One hand is saying the platform will open in July, but not the loop. Another hand say both will open in Aug. Another hand said both will open in July. Talk about hands not talking to each other is confusion considering they are high ranking management. "

I understood their remarks to mean that the work on the platform will be finished in July but BECAUSE THE STEREETCARS WILL NOT START UNTIL AUGUST 30, the loop will not open until then. I really don't see much problem with this except that I agree it is unfortunate that WT and Hydro have delayed the opening of the QQ line (and thus the loop) for so long. It would obviously be better to have the line open in time for the Ex but I think the TTC are being wise not to assume the line will be open by then and to plan for other ways of getting to the Ex.

And what is with that new line going under the ACC? Is that going to happen at some point?

That is a pretty old slide of the proposed expansion of the Union Streetcar loop, I am not sure if that is still the 'official plan' or even if it is part of the current construction, they could simply connect the new platform to the existing loop with out any serious modification to the streetcar loop. The line under the ACC was the proposed Bremner streetcar which was supposed to travel down Bremner-Fort York Blvd-and end at the CNE. It never made it to a serious planning phase and I think it is now off the table as there are many issues with threading the line under the ACC/MLS/Telus House and constructing a portal somewhere on Bremner W of the ACC

The opening of the 2nd platform doesn't need having the loop open at the same time, but it would be nice.

All indentations are saying the loop will be ready for service in July compare to the current date by TTC for Aug. This allows the return of the 509 car.

Again, depending on who you talk to, they are saying different things based on what what they know and their position.

Until someone comes up with $375m, the loop will not be expanded. There are talks underway of a P3 between the province, city and Waterfront Toronto and going after the Feds for more money.

As for the Bremner line under the ACC, most likely will never happen and if so, sometime in 2030+ since the Western Waterfront Line is at the bottom of the list. Can't see 514? Bathurst car using this line only as plan to spend big bucks for that short section. Having this line cutting into the 2+ QQ lines routes at ACC is an operation nightmare waiting to happen.

Based on TTC numbers of 10-12,000 riders at peak time using the expanded loop was based on a different vision for the Waterfront compare to what is now being plan. 1 Yonge alone has destroy the plan and numbers, When you start looking at what is now being plan for the whole area, the loop will never be able to handle the ridership at all. I have stated this from day one when TTC presented the plan during the early stage of the transit EA's as far back as 2006. The loop was only good for today needs to about 2025 and after that, you need to do something different to deal with the future needs.

The new entrance to Union station will open when the new concourse opens in 2015/16 that will replace the east section one.

As a follow up to the posting above, the tunnel under the ACC is there now with the portal being in the turning loop on the west side of ACC with no interference with MTLS and Telus. It will be one way in & out and you drive around the portal to do it.

Last edited:

Back