Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Keeping in mind the natural behaviour of Union station passengers to congregate around departure boards some thought is needed in their placement. The last thing I'd want to do is place signs in such a way that they result in crowds blocking major ingress/egress and through access.

In the above example, the doors leading from the subway station (and the subway station area in general) will see tons of traffic. Placing departure boards right at those doors would just cause issues.

That said I do agree more signs, strategically placed in each major area of the station, are better.

Egg Club in The Market is now open:
IMG_5700.jpeg

Keeping in mind the natural behaviour of Union station passengers to congregate around departure boards some thought is needed in their placement. The last thing I'd want to do is place signs in such a way that they result in crowds blocking major ingress/egress and through access.

In the above example, the doors leading from the subway station (and the subway station area in general) will see tons of traffic. Placing departure boards right at those doors would just cause issues.

That said I do agree more signs, strategically placed in each major area of the station, are better.
The reason that people congregate at the departure boards is to see what platform their train is at. Someone coming from the subway won't be sticking around the subway station entrance when they see what platform they're at, and if they don't see their platform, they'll continue walking to where they can access their train from.

If they add departure boards to the food court, people aren't going to congregate there because they can't access their platforms from there.

The reason it seems like people "congregate" around departure boards is solely because of where they are placed, which is the place they would be congregating anyway (right below the platforms).

So I think the reasoning that departure boards cause passengers to congregate is fundamentally flawed.

I think the issue everyone is getting at isn't "congregating," it's people stopping and standing in everyone's way in what is normally a space designed for people to transit through unobstructed.
Anywhere near entrances and exits should be free of obstructions, and the most common obstruction in this scenario is people stopping to stare at things they could look at anywhere else.

I think the issue everyone is getting at isn't "congregating" it's people stopping and standing in everyone's way in what would normally be a space people can transit through unobstructed.
Anywhere near entrances and exits should be free of obstructions and the most common obstructions is people stopping to stare at things.
Yes, that make sense. Should be an obvious set of displays that draw people to the side somewhere out-of-the-way!

The problem is Bay Street Promenade area doesn’t have a place “off to the side” to allow people to look at departure screens, it’s a 4 way junction that leads to a big hallway everyone walks down towards the Bay Concourse.
IMG_2778.jpeg

I do agree with all of you though, the lower level at Union does need train information screens, I can’t believe there isn’t a single one.

The problem is Bay Street Promenade area doesn’t have a place “off to the side” to allow people to look at departure screens, it’s a 4 way junction that leads to a big hallway everyone walks down towards the Bay Concourse.
View attachment 585701
I do agree with all of you though, the lower level at Union does need train information screens, I can’t believe there isn’t a single one.

Yes part of the issue is that the Union Station revitalization is by definition an exercise in compromise. Yes there is no single main area for passengers to wait for their trains, because they had to work around the existing building.

What about right behind you? Not perfect, but that Teamway entrance isn't that well used. Most either walk around the edge to the covered moat to the TTC (or they would if there was better signage).

View attachment 585701
Literally every single one of those pillars should have departure boards on them.

Back