Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Exactly. I can almost smell the ashtrays and cheap perfume, and hear the Bay of Pigs Invasion being announced on the portable radio Madge and Gus are carrying.

I wasn’t there for that specific broadcast, but as someone who used to tag along with my dad to send off relatives in that era - I’m disappointed that they have preserved the mundane features and overlooked the classic touches. One example being the original gate indicators, which could have been replicated in some more modern electronic form. The old stainless steel sleeping car conductor’s desk was another cool touch.

Oh, that badly grouted tile on the pillars! I could do better, and I’m no handydude.

- Paul

It seems that the station isn't settling right... walking through the York street promenade to go up the ramp to the York concourse, I noticed a piece of red tape spanning the entire floor from Union Chicken to WVRST. The floors on either side of the tape are not quite level with each other.

Here's a picture to illustrate the location.
2vIFVnU

Tile on the right is a few millimetres higher than the one on the left. Could be a tripping hazard.

2LWfVQJ

Nothing says that more than the absolutely ridiculous train shed. All that money so far, and it looks like something out of Bum Fug Lower Neanderthal. It's a pathetic joke. And yes @Richard White , the "heritage" aspect has been alluded to many times in this string. I mentioned it just a few posts back. This *IS NOT* a requirement in this instance, not to mention the VIA concourse is a facsimile, not a restoration. *Aspects* of certain wooden fittings or original windows etc can be considered "Heritage". What you see is about as real to "Heritage" as a set for a cheap TV movie is. It's Faux Pas at best. And it's fugging ugly and embarassing.

Some jerk somewhere is pocketing a cool $M because he/she sold the concept of "let's bring back the Fifties" as a marketing ploy. Conscription anyone?

I'm beginning to wonder if it wouldn't have been better, at the end of the day, to turn the existing "Onion Station" into a museum, and start from scratch a block away with something new, highly functional, state of the art, and *welcoming* to passengers and commuters alike.

What next? Psychiatric Hospitals with restraints, isolation rooms, lobotomy theatres, and "modern" green and pink contrasting colours schemes all in the name of "Heritage"?

hahahaaa.......aaaaah, I love you

I think the entire York Concourse isn't settling properly. There are cracks in the Terrazo on the upper floor of the concourse, the wall tiles and joints between old and new sections are also buckling.

This doesn't bode well and heads will roll if structural failure occurs.

20180807_062935.jpg
20180807_062759.jpg
20180807_062716.jpg
20180807_062917.jpg

Attachments

• 20180807_062935.jpg
    20180807_062935.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 655
  • 20180807_062759.jpg
    20180807_062759.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 596
  • 20180807_062716.jpg
    20180807_062716.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 607
  • 20180807_062917.jpg
    20180807_062917.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 620
W
I think the entire York Concourse isn't settling properly. There are cracks in the Terrazo on the upper floor of the concourse, the wall tiles and joints between old and new sections are also buckling.
Wow that is a major overlook from structural that is simply not acceptable. Who was the structural engineer on this job? They should be sued big time for this poor and potentially dangerous design work

^Are those cracks in the areas where the old supporting pillars were cut out and dug down?

- Paul

^Are those cracks in the areas where the old supporting pillars were cut out and dug down?

- Paul

The cracks in the Terazzo flooring are running from the pillars to the staircases. The ones with the red tape are where the old and new sections meet. This could be why the food court won't open yet.. they are probably trying to ensure they wont have any failure of the floors above.

True but the other leveling issues plus that... I would start to question things. I know what you are saying but something doesn't add up

Even settling isn't uncommon - and this look like it's at a millimeter scale. Maybe tiles like the ones used at Eaton Centre would work better.

In any case, truly bad isn't the floor - but the damaged ceiling panels that catches your eyes every time.

AoD

Terrazzo cracks aren't uncommon - I would be hesitant to equate their presence with structural failure.

AoD

Agreed.

Though, the cracks shown in the pillar/column may be of greater concern.

It would certainly be true to say deep concern is premature; but this does merit further examination.

Agreed.
Though, the cracks shown in the pillar/column may be of greater concern.
It would certainly be true to say deep concern is premature; but this does merit further examination.

I am sure they are monitoring things - and lord knows what causes the cracked column cladding (vs. cracked column).

AoD

Back