Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

The food court and Bay Concourse connection are still partially flooded as of this morning. It is safe to say it won't open until likely next year. Based on the circumstances I can see them tearing down drywall and putting it back in which could take awhile. It seems like they are still assessing the damages which is not a good sign.
As the flood happened about 36 hours ago it is hardly surprising that they are still evaluating things and if the only problem is wet drywall that can be replaced remarkably fast. As the final fitting out of the food court (and Bay Concourse) has still not happened I suspect that damage will be fairly easy to repair. What they ought to do is to see WHY it flooded and see if there are additional things they can do to prevent a repetition. AFAK, there was little or no flooding at Union TTC subway so it would seem that their work after the last big flood have been successful and I think that there was little or no water in the Bay moat itself (certainly not enough to get into subway area) so the problems may be limited to the lowest level (the food court area.)

Any fish escaped from Ripley's Aquarium?

union-flooding-sharks-jamie-king-twitter_crop.jpg

From link.

(Why does this happen whenever a Ford brother is charge?)

How could this stuff happen in a new renovation?

Even Ice Condos was flooding.
There are floods for many reasons but after a heavy rainfall they will come from either above ground or below. If from above ground it may be a blocked roof drain, a roof rain that is too small or a drain pipe joint that gives way somewhere between roof and sewer. (This is why you hear of floods starting at some intermediate floor). If the water come up from the basement there is either insufficient waterproofing or no back-flow prevention valve or ?? (Water can, of course, also simply run into the basement from the street if it gets flooded.)

You get these problems in buildings of all ages but older buildings may see fewer as they may have experienced them before and fixed any defects or upgraded any pumps.

What are our options to mitigate this. Could a giant cistern be built below ground to collect excess rainwater?
The City builds these all the time (plus surface ponds) but it's hard to see where you can do this near Union Station - particularly to its south which is only slightly above lake level!

Any chance of looking at the ~$4 billion spent to date on Union as sunk costs (the government's had plenty of those lately... Power plants among others) and just rebuild the whole thing?

Close the station (tracks and all), maybe with minor allowances for through movements and brief stops for 5 years and reopen it looking like a normal 21st century transport terminal. The current Frankenstein station is outdated and dysfunctional before it's even opened.

When Madrid went about modernizing their principal train station (Atocha) they closed it for years. It reopened with two new levels of tracks and the capacity required to move Madrid into the 21st century.

Aside from the train shed and adding a second level of tracks/platforms, what other things do you think could be done to union in a "start from scratch scenario"?

I believe the concourse expansion, when complete, will be ample to serve the needs of the station. Being half constructed though is part of the problem from a passenger/pedestrian flow point of view.

Reactions: DSC
Not North York as far as I know. Edit to add: I believe the 401-400 area saw some intersections flooded.
This in Star today:

"Tuesday’s flooding was a result of a localized “shower cell” that began around the Vaughan/city of Toronto border near Steeles Ave.

The cell intensified significantly and moved slowly southward, with Toronto’s downtown core and the lake front taking the brunt of it, says Geoff Coulson, a meteorologist with Environment Canada."

Back