Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

It seems this project is taking forever. I’ve basically put it out of my mind that it will end any time soon.

What was the original estimate for total project duration and what is the current estimate for time to completion?

I didn’t have success in finding these answers when searching through this thread.

And they have not even started the floor in the great hall yet..

The westmost moat is coming together.

4EBA7D6C-8777-4A53-AEFC-DDDC07767A3B.jpeg

Attachments

• 4EBA7D6C-8777-4A53-AEFC-DDDC07767A3B.jpeg
    4EBA7D6C-8777-4A53-AEFC-DDDC07767A3B.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 736
The westmost moat is coming together.
There are some aspects that look very promising. They've been developing for years it seems, but other areas, like the train shed, are actually going backwards! Seriously, I've seen factories far more exciting, wondrous and productive. And healthier and safer too...

Last edited:
^ As to why they used small tiling (a la washrooms) is a question in itself, they've probably run out of funding (again), but if you do use tile (which is problematic they way it's installed on those round pillars) at least do something like this:

upload_2018-8-5_11-44-1.png

Anthony Bernstein

https://www.google.ca/maps/uv?hl=en...hUKEwj2itymn9bcAhVn5YMKHUO4BIAQoiowF3oECAoQCQ

That was opened 1978. Gosh, do you think perhaps someone knew something about mood, lighting and being welcoming back then, let alone how to apply mosaic tile around curves to accentuate the form?

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-5_11-39-59.png
    upload_2018-8-5_11-39-59.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 359
  • upload_2018-8-5_11-44-1.png
    upload_2018-8-5_11-44-1.png
    844.4 KB · Views: 456
Yep, exactly. I walked through here the other day and it's underwhelming to say the least. Pretty disappointing.

Has anyone considered that the design scheme might be heritage? If it is deemed to be part of the original design scheme than it has to be restored.

I believe it has to do with the station being a national historical site. You can't change anything without approval of Parks Canada.

Has anyone considered that the design scheme might be heritage? If it is deemed to be part of the original design scheme than it has to be restored.

I believe it has to do with the station being a national historical site. You can't change anything without approval of Parks Canada.

Has anyone considered that is the problem?

AoD

Maybe so but ironically it is that sort of thinking that nearly cost us the station. In the 1970s people thought the station was dated and nearly bulldozed it.

I think the designation of the entire station complex is an overreaction against the clean slate redevelopment proposal of the early 70s. These sorts of substandard outcomes are exactly the side effect of that overreaction.

AoD

Back