Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

I agree that the existing routes to the ACC should be sufficient, but a lot of people don't know about that access through the VIA concourse, and the existing signage is confusing.

Signage in the construction zones needs a lot of attention. The south end of the VIA Concourse is and has been a mess, and it's not clear at all that you can get to ACC.

The current signs require you to look for platform 26 or 27 then look for Union Plaza and before you exit to said plaza (or is it called Maple Leaf Square*??) you go left into ACC, which, stunningly, is not marked clearly above the doors.

Here's hoping a heap of ACC signs appear, including from York Concourse, where I think things are a little better, ACC-wise.

*At least we know this space south of Union, west of ACC at the Bremner Circle is NOT called the Ford Fan Zone.

The issue isn't having signage but how to make it stand out. Case in point, borrowing kotsy's photo above:

Look at that mess - you got backlit signage, signage in blue, in black, overhead, stand up, on pillars, same information provided in triplicate in text, period logos, logographic - is it any wonder that the one on the concourse closing (which of course has to be in mustard yellow to blend in with the pillars/general background) got lost? Seriously, did they ever look at the crap they've put up?

AoD

Last edited:
As expected, people are totally losing their minds over the closure. I went an hour ago and just stood in the area in front of the doors from the TTC, watching people coming in, and it was madness. I would estimate somewhere between 0.5% to 1% of people--there were a lot of visitors on this sunny, though hot, Sunday afternoon, probably a Jays game--knew where they were going.

And, to be clear, when you come in from the doors from the TTC moat, there are two possible places to go: 1) turn around and go back where you came from, 2) continue forwards in the one, single possible direction in which it is possible to proceed. There are no turns or choices to be made until after you exit the Bay concourse, but nonetheless, people would stand around scratching their heads being confused.

The GO customer service person and the two security guards standing around were pointing in the one possible direction to go and repeating "go to the end of this hall and make a left" every 3 seconds or so, for every single person asking where the GO area is. Kudos to them as I would have lost my mind by the thousandth time, yet alone the ten thousandth time I had to repeat that. And again, there is only one way to go and there are large, well-marked signs directing people to the platforms.

Additionally, for all the lost people coming in from the TTC doors about 10% as many people were coming in from the direction of Via/York, looked confused, and asked where to buy tickets/board trains/use the washroom/etc only to be pointed back in the direction they'd come from.

And you know what the cherry on top of the cake is, here? All of the people asking for directions looked totally confused, i.e. they had absolutely no idea that this was going to happen. I overheard at least a quarter or so of the people asking for directions saying they were here just last week and "why didn't they inform people beforehand?" "why was nobody warned?" "is this just for today, or a few hours?" etc. Having walked around the Bay concourse recently, for several weeks there have been massive, clear posters informing people about the closure's date (and long-term nature) posted everywhere--all over the concourse and various stairways and doors to and from the platforms. Overall I would guess between 200-300 posters. So hearing "I was here just last week and there was absolutely no warning about this!" shouted angrily at customer service agents and security guards was infuriating.

Again, just to emphasize this, I saw hundreds of people enter, probably about a thousand total, and with only one direction to possibly go in (without turning around and going straight back out) over 99% of them were completely and utterly lost and had to ask for directions.

Can't wait to see rush hour tomorrow evening--one would assume the percentage of lost people will be lower with the hopefully more competent everyday commuter crowd, but the sheer number of passengers might make up for that. Should be fun. I'll bring popcorn.

People really are like sheep sometimes, so inattentively immersed in their own world that they would barely notice the signs indicating a change. The lack of use of the York concourse just goes to show how firmly locked into their own routines people are. It is disappointing however given how the opening of the York concourse went (remember the self aware signage). However do people even know it as the Bay, or West Concourse. Or do they simply know it as "Union Station that place where I catch the go trains" Should the signs have said "this area is closing"

Additional thought. Since I expect media to be on location at Union to document the insanity (I wonder if the evening will be worse than the morning commute). I just wished that they would have done a hit from Union to announce the closure and perhaps grab a couple to a handful of commuters to ask them how they plan to handle the closure, or if the knew about the closure at all, do the hit near or infront of one of the signs and point it out to the interviewee.

The issue isn't having signage but how to make it stand out. Case in point, borrowing kotsy's photo above:

Look at that mess - you got backlit signage, signage in blue, in black, overhead, stand up, on pillars, same information provided in triplicate in text, period logos, infographic - is it any wonder that the one on the concourse closing (which of course has to be in mustard yellow to blend in with the pillars/general background) got lost? Seriously, did they ever look at the crap they've put up?

Excellent points. In addition, more fundamentally - the core navigational signage is overhead and directly in front of a walking commuter. This trains them NOT to look at the pillers, which of course is where the construction signage is located.

Edit: and of course my 1000th post is a complaint about signage. Sigh.

Excellent points. In addition, more fundamentally - the core navigational signage is overhead and directly in front of a walking commuter. This trains them NOT to look at the pillers, which of course is where the construction signage is located.

Edit: and of course my 1000th post is a complaint about signage. Sigh.

Given the availability of space, I don't blame them for putting it there necessarily - but the colour choice is unforgivable. Like if you want it to stand out and get noticed- use red, or neon pink (or if that is too much, use Metrolinx lime green). Not mustard.

Another complaint is how the sign direct users to check out the website - to the full URL - like that's another no-no (just how many will actually remember it well enough to type out the whole thing?)

AoD

Last edited:
They had staff on the platforms handing out flyers all week.

August 17, 2015

Sir John A. Macdonald Plaza naming ceremony

Toronto Deputy Mayor Denzil Minnan-Wong and Yves Desjardins-Siciliano, President and CEO of VIA Rail Canada, will be joined by Jane Hilderman with Friends of Sir John A. Macdonald to officially name the plaza outside Union Station after Sir John A. Macdonald, Canada’s first Prime Minister.

Date: Tuesday, August 18

Time: Noon; remarks at 12:15 p.m.

Location: Union Station, 65 Front St. W. (outside the entrance to the Great Hall)

August 17, 2015

Sir John A. Macdonald Plaza naming ceremony

Toronto Deputy Mayor Denzil Minnan-Wong and Yves Desjardins-Siciliano, President and CEO of VIA Rail Canada, will be joined by Jane Hilderman with Friends of Sir John A. Macdonald to officially name the plaza outside Union Station after Sir John A. Macdonald, Canada’s first Prime Minister.
Date: Tuesday, August 18

Time: Noon; remarks at 12:15 p.m.

Location: Union Station, 65 Front St. W. (outside the entrance to the Great Hall)

Apt that they should have DMW there - can you imagine a transcontinential railroad getting built with his nickle and dimeing?

AoD

Apt that they should have DMW there - can you imagine a transcontinential railroad getting built with his nickle and dimeing?

AoD

"I would like to point out that taxpayers have been gouged by having this final spike made of Gold, and we must launch a review of the railroad's spending immediately!"

This morning was surprisingly not too bad. Traffic is still light due to typical august vacation season, so we'll see how it goes in september. I still wish there was a connection from York concourse to the PATH - there's still literally no reason for most people to head that far west in union station.

AoD

Given that the CPR was built with Chinese temporary foreign workers doing the most dangerous jobs, I find it somewhat amusing Denzil Minnan-Wong was such a champion of naming the entire station for Sir JAM. But maybe DWM would appreciate the nickel-and-diming when it came to workers' rights.

Expect Too Many Paikins to be at the ceremony as well.

Seems to have been some last minute tagging going on based on that last batch of photos. I wonder if that's actually additional tagging occuring or staff not bothering to remove tags from a concourse soon to be demolished.

Seems to have been some last minute tagging going on based on that last batch of photos. I wonder if that's actually additional tagging occuring or staff not bothering to remove tags from a concourse soon to be demolished.

Did you notice the tag and how it relates to the alias of the photographer/poster? ;)

AoD

Back