Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Yes, the posters were big, widely plastered -- though not station-domination plastered -- and is it not true that black on yellow is one of the clearest of ways to display type, cuz that's what they were.
[Edit: that damned video -- actually I love it-- indicates the posters may have been more orangey than yellow. Perhaps less contrast but you'd have to try hard to not be at least a little curious what the fuss was about.]

There could be more dramatic taking of extreme umbrage -- every time there's a huge influx of occasional users; those who never had an opportunity to see any posters and who ignored exciting news headlines about "End is Nigh! Bay Concourse Closing"

Not inspiring as to our ability to deal with actual difficulties, if such a change can trigger severe disorientation.

Last edited:
Thanks for your review, Megatron! I found it quite amusing but sad at the same time. If I was there when people were angrily yelling at the customer service agents I probably would've cussed them out and caused a huge scene :D

Makes me want to go online newspaper surfing to do the same but it's probably not the best use of my time :rolleyes:

I wonder how people will be able to access the ACC once Hockey and Basket Ball season begins. That's going to be a lot of people in the bay street team way otherwise.

I wonder how people will be able to access the ACC once Hockey and Basket Ball season begins. That's going to be a lot of people in the bay street team way otherwise.

I don't think the Bay West teamway is in any way insufficient. However, there's also the Union Plaza exit from the VIA and York concourse halls, right next to where the existing Bay-ACC tunnel was. More than enough.

The city should seriously consider using floor decals to direct people during this phase of construction. It makes it SO much easier to get around.

Shanghai's Metro uses large coloured arrows with text on them to direct people throughout stations. It's the best way-finding I have ever used, and so easy.

ac943a6c1f194c3897478902def5f0c7.jpg

http://cn.hujiang.com/new/p401072/

I agree that the existing routes to the ACC should be sufficient, but a lot of people don't know about that access through the VIA concourse, and the existing signage is confusing.

The city should seriously consider using floor decals to direct people during this phase of construction. It makes it SO much easier to get around.

Shanghai's Metro uses large coloured arrows with text on them to direct people throughout stations. It's the best way-finding I have ever used, and so easy.

The only problem I see with that is that they would be difficult to see when it's very busy. Having at eye level or higher works better 24 hours a day. If someone can't understand these signs then they have no hope.

Reminds me of when all the train platforms got switched a few months ago. Everyone freaked out, over a friggen platform change. "WHY DIDNT ANYONE TELL US" "... umm, the boards in the concourse stated the platforms for the trains.."

Also it seems that you can go through the Via area right? It certainly was convenient to get to the ACC mostly indoors in the winter.

I really, really, have to quote an expanded excerpt (longer version) from Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy -- about demolishing the planet Earth to make way for a hyperspace bypass -- in order to describe all the panicking commuters regarding the Bay Concourse Closure.

*** VOGON CAPTAIN:
There’s no point in acting all surprised about it. All the planning charts and demolition orders have been on display at your local planning department in Alpha Centauri for fifty of your Earth years so you’ve had plenty of time to lodge any formal complaints and its far too late to start making a fuss about it now.

What do you mean you’ve never been to Alpha Centauri? Oh, for heaven’s sake, mankind, it’s only four light years away, you know. I’m sorry, but if you can’t be bothered to take an interest in local affairs, that’s your own lookout. Energize the demolition beams.

-- [meanwhile in the background: EARTH IMPLODES AND GOES BOOM] --
Request timed out.
CONNECTION LOST

$>

Last edited:
I finally had the chance to visit the food market at Union station. I'm not the first to say this, but the food market is a big hit. It should be made permanent.

IMG_8609.JPG
IMG_8612.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8609.JPG
    IMG_8609.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 729
  • IMG_8612.JPG
    IMG_8612.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 739
Last edited:
There really is no excuse for acting surprised, unless you've never been to Union or haven't been there for the past month. There is signage everywhere. They have been announcing the closure after every single train departs or arrives at Union. There have also been customer service representative handing or maps of the closure and shouting out that Bay is closing and IT WILL AFFECT YOUR COMMUTE.

The only problem I see with that is that they would be difficult to see when it's very busy. Having at eye level or higher works better 24 hours a day. If someone can't understand these signs then they have no hope.

I'd agree, except these were in Shanghai, on one of the busiest Metro's I have ever used. They weren't difficult to see at all. They are large and they have them at every possible point where the path turns or meets another path. Impossible to miss no matter how busy the station is.

I finally had the chance to visit the food market at Union station. I'm not the first to say this, but the food market is a big hit. It should be made permanent.

View attachment 52860 View attachment 52861
I found it slightly claustrophobic, I realize the liquor license requires that the area be closed of but would have liked it better if the area didn't feel fenced off and contained. Still better than nothing.

Back