Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

UPX could use some improvements on notification systems. Two things that I suppose are minor but should be addressed.

One, at Union they put up the "Please Board Now" sign 3 minutes before the train actually leaves, and there is effectively no notification that doors are closing. I was just walking towards the train (the clock showed me I should still have a minute) and the doors just closed in my face.

Two, getting on at Bloor today as the train arrived going downtown the sign said the next train was 28 minutes away, but the sign also said "No Service Delays". Unless they just randomly skip trains during rush hour these 2 things can't both be right.
As part of their weather preparedness strategy they announced yesterday that UP would be running every 30 minutes today.

I presume it was in case there was any limited track availability in the corridor to make sure ML's core customers (commuters) did not have their GO trains bumped in favour of UP trains.

One, at Union they put up the "Please Board Now" sign 3 minutes before the train actually leaves, and there is effectively no notification that doors are closing. I was just walking towards the train (the clock showed me I should still have a minute) and the doors just closed in my face.

That's really odd--I've taken it out of union about 8-10 times in total, and every time a crew member played a message through both the train and the station's PA systems saying "please stand clear, the doors are closing", then there were flashing lights on both the interior of the train and the platform edge doors plus the TTC door closing chime played loudly, in total about 10-15 seconds of clearly visible and audible warning. Maybe something malfunctioned when you were there...

As part of their weather preparedness strategy they announced yesterday that UP would be running every 30 minutes today.

I presume it was in case there was any limited track availability in the corridor to make sure ML's core customers (commuters) did not have their GO trains bumped in favour of UP trains.

Thanks, good to know, but (a) at that moment they were shown to be running every 15 going the other way and (b) that sounds like a "Service Delay" or something that should otherwise be announced on their screens. I ride it twice a day, including yesterday, and had not heard.

That's really odd--I've taken it out of union about 8-10 times in total, and every time a crew member played a message through both the train and the station's PA systems saying "please stand clear, the doors are closing", then there were flashing lights on both the interior of the train and the platform edge doors plus the TTC door closing chime played loudly, in total about 10-15 seconds of clearly visible and audible warning. Maybe something malfunctioned when you were there...

Certainly didn't that time. I will pay attention today going home.

Thanks, good to know, but (a) at that moment they were shown to be running every 15 going the other way and (b) that sounds like a "Service Delay" or something that should otherwise be announced on their screens. I ride it twice a day, including yesterday, and had not heard.
wasn't (or attempting to) excusing the communication.....just explaining why the next train was 28 minutes. Not really a service delay as it was, for today, the schedule. (IMO).

UPX could use some improvements on notification systems. Two things that I suppose are minor but should be addressed.

Two, getting on at Bloor today as the train arrived going downtown the sign said the next train was 28 minutes away, but the sign also said "No Service Delays". Unless they just randomly skip trains during rush hour these 2 things can't both be right.

I'd love a countdown clock at both pearson and union further down the hallways as you're walking towards the platforms- so you know if you need to sprint to make it (missed one by about 10 seconds last month).

I'd love a countdown clock at both pearson and union further down the hallways as you're walking towards the platforms- so you know if you need to sprint to make it (missed one by about 10 seconds last month).

That would be great but would adversely affect beer sales at the UPstairs.

That would be great but would adversely affect beer sales at the UPstairs.
I always wonder who actually has time to go up there and eat/drink. If the maximum wait time is 15-20 minutes it seems like it's not a stop many would take (not to mention slog upstairs).
But haven't been up there - maybe I'm wrong.

I always wonder who actually has time to go up there and eat/drink. If the maximum wait time is 15-20 minutes it seems like it's not a stop many would take (not to mention slog upstairs).

I've been wondering that too. If I was headed to the airport, I'd feel much more comfortable stopping for a beer AFTER clearing security.....not sitting around at Union Station.

Now if you could take your beer with you on the train......

I've been wondering that too. If I was headed to the airport, I'd feel much more comfortable stopping for a beer AFTER clearing security.....not sitting around at Union Station.

Now if you could take your beer with you on the train......

I'd have no problem drinking a beer before getting to Pearson, but why would I want to drag myself and my luggage up and down stairs to get that beer? Until I've ditched my luggage at the baggage counter, stopping to eat and drink is the last thing on my mind.

Maybe just a quiet place to take a call or finish up some work on your laptop? Also, you don't have to be on the next train per-se. You could relax, drink your beer, do your work, and take the train 30 minutes later if you have enough time to spare before flight departure. Also, I'm not sure why everyone likes to invoke the image that travelers are "dragging their big luggage" - I've noticed a lot of people taking UPX, like pilots, flight attendants, and frequent flyers, who bring at most a small carry-on suitcase and a laptop bag. When I go on 2-3 day trips, I could usually fit everything within a large laptop bag.

Last edited:
I'd have no problem drinking a beer before getting to Pearson, but why would I want to drag myself and my luggage up and down stairs to get that beer? Until I've ditched my luggage at the baggage counter, stopping to eat and drink is the last thing on my mind.

I'm commuting to Bloor so if I just miss my train at night and have a full 15 minutes I will pop up for a beer (not food). No wait for beer. They have eliminated half pints however, would prefer that to the 14oz.

I don't go up there very often as I usually don't miss my train, but a couple times I've been there has been a decent number of people eating.

I've been looking into flights for the summer. I partly-booked a selection on Air Canada's website, far enough into the process to get prices, and looked for an add-on of UPX tickets. There was none, of course. This seems to be a major opportunity lost for Metrolinx. What would it take to add a UPX ticket option to flight bookings? Would it require a separate negotiation with each airline? Failing that, how about popping up a UPX ad?

While not as convenient as adding on a UPX fare at the time of booking, Air Canada will sell you one once onboard just as if you were purchasing food / drinks. UPX has also had a full page (generally inside the back cover) ad in the enRoute magazine for the past few months.

Maybe just a quiet place to take a call or finish up some work on your laptop? Also, you don't have to be on the next train per-se. You could relax, drink your beer, do your work, and take the train 30 minutes later if you have enough time to spare before flight departure.
Why would I wait at Union when I could do the same thing once I get to Pearson? I'd rather be at Pearson early to avoid any potential delays or other unexpected situations.

Why would I wait at Union when I could do the same thing once I get to Pearson? I'd rather be at Pearson early to avoid any potential delays or other unexpected situations.

Because Pearson during rush hour flights can be extremely chaotic and nearly impossible to find a quiet spot to work short of using the Star Alliance lounge. I think the UP lounge is a nice to have, not a must have, and does provide an additional layer convenience and comfort for travelers. Like you said, it's definitely not designed for everyone's needs or travel patterns, just like the UPX service itself, wouldn't you agree?

On several occasions I've also used the UP lounge upon arrival from YYZ, just to gather myself after a long flight and prep for upcoming meetings.

Last edited:

Back