Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

I find the corporate branding at the UPX station to be a little overbearing. "The CIBC UPstairs lounge" doesn't exactly exude warm and friendly.

Has anyone been inside? It seems like a natural spot for transit riders before a ball game.

It's a beautiful, reasonably comfortable, very quiet space--rarely more than a few people there (haven't been there before/after a game, though). They actually have some really good food (jerk chicken pie, roast beef sandwich, root vegetable chips) and of course Mill St's beer collection plus their delicious custom-made root beer.

However, it is rather highly overpriced in my opinion (though the $5 off or 15% off coupons they often either hand out or have aboard the trains largely negate this), and the service is sometimes terrible--it seems that the employees, on any given day, change their minds between providing full service to your table vs. having you get up and come to the bar for everything and carrying it back to your table (then getting upset when not tipped).

It's a beautiful, reasonably comfortable, very quiet space--rarely more than a few people there (haven't been there before/after a game, though). They actually have some really good food (jerk chicken pie, roast beef sandwich, root vegetable chips) and of course Mill St's beer collection plus their delicious custom-made root beer.

However, it is rather highly overpriced in my opinion (though the $5 off or 15% off coupons they often either hand out or have aboard the trains largely negate this), and the service is sometimes terrible--it seems that the employees, on any given day, change their minds between providing full service to your table vs. having you get up and come to the bar for everything and carrying it back to your table (then getting upset when not tipped).

They could potentially go into a partnership with Star Alliance so that anyone with Star Alliance Gold (a large number of frequent flyers) would be able to use the UP lounge for free. Given the huge crowds at the 3 Maple Leaf Lounges in Pearson, I wouldn't be surprised if this is further draw for people to use UPX.

I've been looking into flights for the summer. I partly-booked a selection on Air Canada's website, far enough into the process to get prices, and looked for an add-on of UPX tickets. There was none, of course. This seems to be a major opportunity lost for Metrolinx. What would it take to add a UPX ticket option to flight bookings? Would it require a separate negotiation with each airline? Failing that, how about popping up a UPX ad?

Met with three different groups last week (1 each from Calgary, Winnipeg, NY) each one confirmed something I have long suspected......if they had known before they left their home towns that UP existed that is how they would have got to downtown for their meetings. Each one had already figured out how they were going to get downtown and no level of signage/wifi/info on landing would change that. They had mapped out their dash to the cab line and that was it. Each one wondered why there was no attempt to market them before, or as, they planned their trips (either online, as they booked or at their departure airport gate).
how can people not know? I do not ride GO, do not take business trips knew about UP.

Honestly, I think Metrolinx is right regarding the UPX. The lack of visibility/usage is more of a function of engrained travel habits than anything. When visiting London, for example, people are already aware of the Heathrow train and will seek it out. Toronto on the other hand, has been well served by airport limos, and that's what people are going to continue seeking.

The UPX should have been free for a month or two in order to get people onto it, since the best marketing they've got is the train itself. Simply having signs saying a train exists won't help change people's travel habits. They need to experience the quick, smooth ride in order to understand it. I guess you can have reps at the terminal actively trying to sell the train, but who really wants to stop and listen when you've already decided that you are looking for a cab?

The only way they are going to increase ridership is through word of mouth. Once enough people have used it and are talking about it, word will spread that the service exists and how efficient it is. That will drive people to seek it out, at which point it will be easier to sell.
but the other rroblem (so I have been told), is the stop at Pearson is really far away from where customers need to get. is this true?

I don't think so. The stop is connected to the airport terminal connector train. Not inconvenient in my books. No more so than Heathrow Express.

but the other rroblem (so I have been told), is the stop at Pearson is really far away from where customers need to get. is this true?

I took it for a second time two days ago, from Terminal 3. It was a bit more distance than I would prefer, but in general not so horrible. The train also felt quite slow.
In Amsterdam, the downtown train is right beneath the airport terminal, which takes 3 minutes to walk to. Just to show there are places where airport trains are a lot more convenient for passengers. UPs is not the worst, but hardly one of the best either.

across the bridge from the terminal.....literally across the street from the cab line and in between the cabs and the parking lot......much easier to access for most than the bus terminal.

I took it for a second time two days ago, from Terminal 3. It was a bit more distance than I would prefer, but in general not so horrible. The train also felt quite slow.
In Amsterdam, the downtown train is right beneath the airport terminal, which takes 3 minutes to walk to. Just to show there are places where airport trains are a lot more convenient for passengers. UPs is not the worst, but hardly one of the best either.
with two terminals, I guess they had to locate it somewhere and it is super convenient for terminal 1 passengers.

The setup in Amsterdam used to be that you had to go outside and cross the road ... now you can buy your fare or pass inside the terminal and take the ramp down to the platforms.

how can people not know? I do not ride GO, do not take business trips knew about UP.
But you are either here, or paying attention. What do you know about adjustments to the airport link in Seattle? Or Bangkok?

In Amsterdam, the downtown train is right beneath the airport terminal, which takes 3 minutes to walk to.
It's only about a 3-minute walk from the domestic arrivals at T1 to the UP train.

Last time I changed planes at Schipol it felt like a 20-minute walk just to get from one gate to another. I'm sure there's spots there that aren't a 3-minute walk to the train.

At Heathrow from Terminal 4, you also have to take a connecting train to Heathrow Central to get the Heathrow Express (unless you want to take the milk run to Paddington).

Last edited:

I take it from Pearson about 3-4 times a month. From Terminal 1 it takes 5 minutes to walk at a casual pace from baggage hall to the station platform, 3 minutes if you speed walk. It feels more convenient than the long walks that one has to do when arriving in Heathrow or Frankfurt am Main, not to mention all temperature-controlled corridors up to the platform.

Last time I changed planes at Schipol it felt like a 20-minute walk just to get from one gate to another. I'm sure there's spots there that aren't a 3-minute walk to the train.

At Heathrow from Terminal 4, you also have to take a connecting train to Heathrow Central to get the Heathrow Express (unless you want to take the milk run to Paddington).

I meant from the exit to the train platform. Of course the distance from your gate to the exit depends. Pearson in that respect (worst scenario for example) is probably worse than Schiphol. Every time I felt I am exhausted by just walking to the customs.

Back