Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

On several occasions I've also used the UP lounge upon arrival from YYZ, just to gather myself after a long flight and prep for upcoming meetings.
That seems more likely. If I had a meeting downtown at 10 AM, I can well imagine arriving from Pearson by 8:30 AM into Union. A good place to get some work done rather than the food fair in a basement near the meeting site.

I'd have no problem drinking a beer before getting to Pearson, but why would I want to drag myself and my luggage up and down stairs to get that beer? Until I've ditched my luggage at the baggage counter, stopping to eat and drink is the last thing on my mind.
There's also an easy elevator to UPstairs Lounge.

That said, I'm not 100% sure why they put the word "stairs" in the name of a place that would attract people carrying luggage.

So it's now even more quite possible UPX may be merged into GO RER. Eventually, gradually -- during electrification) be rolled into a sub-service spur of a unified RER service, like the airport spur of Paris RER B. Basically use the same electric RER EMU trainsets. Unified GO RER service covering the subsets of UPX/SmartTrack, in a fashion very similar to Paris RER B. Just as I suggested a few weeks ago.

They need to decide HOW to electrify UPX in the politically easiest manner. I say the best thing to do is simultaneously roll it into GO RER (and for you SmartTrack lovers -- consider it an add-on "SmartTrack" enhancement of GO RER). One of many possible theoretical scenarios -- perhaps say by 2025, use 6-coach EMUs, switch to regular platfrom at Union (or lengthen the berth to enroach into Platform 3! -- also making it much more convenient to reach via Bay concourse), lengthened high platform stations at Bloor and Weston(or Eglinton), and if reusing the existing Pearson spur/station with longer trainsets, then open only the first 3 coaches at the Pearson station. Assuming the bend radius of the lightweight EMUs, fit the existing spur, of course. And the route could take turns, every other train or every 3 trains, going towards Bramalea(or Brampton/Mt Pleasant) versus Pearson. Depending on the chosen frequency (5 minute or 7.5 minute), one could possibly keep today's UPX schedule as a subset of an upgraded GO RER (+SmartTrack enhancements) service.

This is how Paris' RER B does it, anyway -- a single service consisting of a multilayered combination of allstops, expresses, spur-lefts, and spur-rights.

Last edited:

Thank goodness. This is the first of many cost cutting measures necessary for this train. Using standard GO pop staff or fare-gates at Pearson (tap or barcode in/out; see DME airport train with single set of gates at airport only) ought to be next.

If she's actually good at marketing, Metrolinx as a whole could use some help. UPX needs a different type of marketing expertise.

Because Pearson during rush hour flights can be extremely chaotic and nearly impossible to find a quiet spot to work short of using the Star Alliance lounge. I think the UP lounge is a nice to have, not a must have, and does provide an additional layer convenience and comfort for travelers. Like you said, it's definitely not designed for everyone's needs or travel patterns, just like the UPX service itself, wouldn't you agree?

On several occasions I've also used the UP lounge upon arrival from YYZ, just to gather myself after a long flight and prep for upcoming meetings.

I've never thought of that rationale - but it's pretty solid actually. Maybe if it was positioned as that - it might help awareness of it.

I've never thought of that rationale - but it's pretty solid actually. Maybe if it was positioned as that - it might help awareness of it.

My understanding is that it's a CIBC-owned lounge. If CIBC likes to keep the UP lounge as it is today, that's perfectly fine and that's their private business decision. On the other hand, I can just imagine what groups like TTCRiders have to say about the UP lounge... public transit! public lounge! make it free to all TTC riders or else!

My understanding is that it's a CIBC-owned lounge. If CIBC likes to keep the UP lounge as it is today, that's perfectly fine and that's their private business decision. I can just imagine what groups like TTCRiders have to say about the UP lounge... public transit! public lounge! make it free to all TTC riders or else!
Isn't it already free to all TTC riders? As far as I know, they don't check if you have an UP Express ticket when you go to the lounge. Anyone can go and buy a beer there. The only reason it's empty is because it's useless to most people.

Isn't it already free to all TTC riders? As far as I know, they don't check if you have an UP Express ticket when you go to the lounge. Anyone can go and buy a beer there. The only reason it's empty is because it's useless to most people.
You harp on about people exaggerating travel times then continually exaggerate UP's uselessness. We get it. It's not useful for you. We're sorry.

Even during the Family day weekend that saw record ridership, there were only a couple of people in the upstairs lounge when I checked.

Thank goodness. This is the first of many cost cutting measures necessary for this train. Using standard GO pop staff or fare-gates at Pearson (tap or barcode in/out; see DME airport train with single set of gates at airport only) ought to be next.

That's right. But time will tell if this is an attempt to cut UPE costs, or simply bury those costs in a place where there is no separate reporting.

That's right. But time will tell if this is an attempt to cut UPE costs, or simply bury those costs in a place where there is no separate reporting.

That's less of a worry than having a redundant standalone organization dedicated to UPE. You can be sure that once the organization has moved under the GO umbrella, the workload will be rebalanced. We won't have people filling their time with UP-specific initiatives when whatever policy or program GO already has can be applied on UPE as well.

- Paul

That's less of a worry than having a redundant standalone organization dedicated to UPE. You can be sure that once the organization has moved under the GO umbrella, the workload will be rebalanced. We won't have people filling their time with UP-specific initiatives when whatever policy or program GO already has can be applied on UPE as well.

- Paul
Am I glad I never got a job at Metrolinx in their UPX division . I would be out of a job soon

Back