Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Since Metrolinx have intentions for a satellite station at Bathurst, I suspect any such ambitions would be stayed pending a go-ahead for that project.

Good point. I suppose the two projects could be coordinated or combined, since any station would necessitate a track reconfiguration anyway.

Was taking the GO train back from the Jays game today, and while going through the Bathurst Yard I had a thought: Have there ever been any proposals to deck over the yard to connect City Place to Front St with a park? Is it even technically feasible? It looks like there's enough clearance between the track level top of the walls on each side to build something over the tracks.

Just wondering. Seems like it would be a great opportunity to create some green space. I suppose the same thing could be done between Spadina and Blue Jays Way as well. If the Oxford proposal comes to fruition too, the end result could be a park stretching from Union all the way to Bathurst.

After Millennium park was built in Chicago, I think a lot of people in Toronto dreamed of doing something similar between Spadina and Bathurst. Too bad we don't have a Mayor Daley-like figure to bang some heads together and pull something like that off. We couldn't even build one pedestrian bridge without the railway companies ruining it.

After Millennium park was built in Chicago, I think a lot of people in Toronto dreamed of doing something similar between Spadina and Bathurst. Too bad we don't have a Mayor Daley-like figure to bang some heads together and pull something like that off. We couldn't even build one pedestrian bridge without the railway companies ruining it.

We've still got opportunities for new parks, Ontario Place, the Port Lands, parts of the waterfront.

We've still got opportunities for new parks, Ontario Place, the Port Lands, parts of the waterfront.

This is a good point. We have lots of space to play with still, the area isn't constrained, and the Waterfront is the focus of new public space right now. Such a thing would likely take lots of money, coordination and time to build properly without interfereing with GO traffic.

I don't recall these renderings being released yet:

qWk6lX2.jpg

90zNW6f.jpg

b2DjMSa.jpg

wynaCWS.jpg

Taken from a promotional video by Metrolinx:

[video=youtube;9tkkR_IpFvQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tkkR_IpFvQ[/video]

I don't recall these renderings being released yet:

Taken from a promotional video by Metrolinx:

[video=youtube;9tkkR_IpFvQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tkkR_IpFvQ[/video]

I think their marketing budget is too big.

Last edited by a moderator:

S&M: Chicago's Millenium Park was built adjacent and over the tracks of Metra Electric and the Chicago,South Shore and South Bend Railroad's Randolph
Street Station - the only two electrified commuter railroads serving Downtown Chicago...Both use 1500 VDC catenary which is the big difference in building
over these tracks on air rights as compared to tracks used by Diesel-powered trains...I also agree that both of Chicago's Daley's (Richard M. and his father
Richard J.) were strong Chicago Mayors that knew how to get things done back during their terms...LI MIKE

We couldn't even build one pedestrian bridge without the railway companies ruining it.

I know eh... shame on the railroads for insisting that safety and efficiency of the movement of tens of thousands of people a day comes before making one bridge slightly more convenient to use. :rolleyes:

S&M: Chicago's Millenium Park was built adjacent and over the tracks of Metra Electric and the Chicago,South Shore and South Bend Railroad's Randolph
Street Station - the only two electrified commuter railroads serving Downtown Chicago...Both use 1500 VDC catenary which is the big difference in building
over these tracks on air rights as compared to tracks used by Diesel-powered trains...I also agree that both of Chicago's Daley's (Richard M. and his father
Richard J.) were strong Chicago Mayors that knew how to get things done back during their terms...LI MIKE

Chicago was definitely what I was thinking of when I floated the idea of covering the tracks. Personally, I find the rail corridor more of a barrier to the waterfront than the Gardiner. If it could be turned into a linear park from Simcoe to Bathurst, that would go a long way to bridging the gap. Like I said, the Oxford proposal will hopefully take care of a good chunk of that, but the largest gap by far is the area between Spadina, Bathurst, Front, and City Place.

I just hope that when the GO REX plan really starts picking up steam that covering Bathurst Yard will be brought into the discussion somehow. We just need a strong Mayor to bring it up.

LOL.. wow.. that video was hilarious. I'm almost unsure if it was meant to be a parody. So over-dramatic.

It's nice to see that BlogTO decided to make fun of this video. Also, at 0:36 it appears that some new buildings have sprouted overnight, because I have never seen them before. UPX is already doing its magic I suppose.

14544448610_30e9e75417_z.jpg

Last edited:

Back