Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

It should. Australia's railway operations are actually quite similar to Canada's in many ways.

Well, remember, they also have the British-built HST running as well, and I'm pretty confident in saying that as originally designed it wouldn't meet North American crashworthiness regs.

But I think we're getting a bit off topic now.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Based on the renderings, I think the head-on shot of the trains probably make it look uglier than if it were from more of a side angle. The train itself looks OK.

I have to say that I'm excited about this, because, even though this isn't part of the main transit system, it's basically the first new transit line to open in a long long while, and it's not too far in the future now.

I also think that yes we can complain about this or that, but at the end of the day there will be a train to the airport in about a year, which is a great thing overall.

Looking forward to seeing pictures and videos of this thing when it opens.

Hot damn... UP Express just posted 2 new pics to their Twitter of the UP DMUs being tested in Rochelle, Illinois:

View attachment 30559
^ UP President Kathy Haley "drives" UP DMU

Based on the renderings, I think the head-on shot of the trains probably make it look uglier than if it were from more of a side angle. The train itself looks OK.

Here's the train in the Sonoma Marin Area Rapid Transit (SMART) livery:

SMART-1-small.jpg

http://roadwarrior.blogs.pressdemocrat.com/18861/first-smart-trains-ready-shipping/

Last edited:
Good God that video was bad, but so is the copy on the UP Express website. Some of my favourite excerpts:

"Here are a few details on one of the most ambitious – and important – transportation projects in the province’s history"
"...with a highest elevation of about 28m above ground, the trip will give visitors and residents a uniquely elevated view of Toronto Pearson and the city."
"Look Mom, a Sears outlet!"*

"The Union Pearson Express is about more than transporting passengers swiftly and efficiently, or relieving traffic congestion and commuter headaches. It’s about who we are as a city and as a province."

Oh gawd, can it get more pathetic than that? So, this line took a decade plus to get off the ground, using a train set that will in all likelihood be replaced relatively soon because we couldn't get our electrification act together. Just what does it say about who we are as a city and province huh?

AoD

Oh gawd, can it get more pathetic than that? So, this line took a decade plus to get off the ground, using a train set that will in all likelihood be replaced relatively soon because we couldn't get our electrification act together. Just what does it say about who we are as a city and province huh?

AoD

The trains can be easily and affordably converted to electric operation. And they will be in 2017.

The trains can be easily and affordably converted to electric operation. And they will be in 2017.

That's what I meant by the current trainset will be replaced relatively soon - because we didn't plan and build ahead of time and have to use stop-gap measures. In that light, all the gushing hyperbole is all the more ridiculous.

AoD

That's what I meant by the current trainset will be replaced relatively soon - because we didn't plan and build ahead of time and have to use stop-gap measures. In that light, all the gushing hyperbole is all the more ridiculous.

AoD

But you are wrong....the trainset won't be replaced.

They will just be modified with a pantograph, some electrical transformers and their diesel engines removed (possibly, maybe they want to keep them in for resale)

They are designed to be convertible to electric power.

More specifically, a Bombardier-built Vlocity 160 trainset.

Which may actually meet most of our crashworthiness standards and regulations, unlike European equipment.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It should. Australia's railway operations are actually quite similar to Canada's in many ways.

Wow, you learn something new here everyday. We should have asked for those instead. No offense to Nippon Sharyo

But you are wrong....the trainset won't be replaced.

They will just be modified with a pantograph, some electrical transformers and their diesel engines removed (possibly, maybe they want to keep them in for resale)

They are designed to be convertible to electric power.

I wonder how much more these convertible trains costed us compared to the all electric ones.

MetroNorth's M8s were just over US$2m per car - but that was an order of nearly 400 in all, and before you allocate a proportion of the electrification capital cost and the EMU yard.
SEPTA's Rotem Silverliner Vs were about the same but the reviews from Philadelphia aren't great. Can't imagine Denver's will be that much better.

Also - there would have been a time cost in getting the prerequisites for EMUs in place not needed for the DMUs like an electrified yard, several substations and the catenary between Union and Pearson, including any clearance issues not dealt with in other UPX/Georgetown South works.

I hope sense prevails, the DMUs will be redeployed or resold as is and 25kV high floor EMUs bought for UPX which can be adjusted and tested without impacting UPX service delivery.

Thankfully - good to be corrected on that score.

AoD

No problem! Glad to clear up any misunderstandings.

However, I will admit that if proper planning had been done, conversion of the rolling stock wouldnt need to happen, which will of course cost $$.

Less than completely replacing the trainset of course, but I am sure the government will find a way to make it as expensive of a conversion as possible :p

I wonder how much more these convertible trains costed us compared to the all electric ones.

Tough to say. All depends on how efficiently the conversion goes...and can we sell the diesel engines and recoup some costs, or do we want to keep them in the tains dormant for future resale.

I can't believe lugging around extra weight would be worth it however. We tend to run our rolling stock into the ground in Toronto anyways.

Back