Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

They need to finish assembling it - that happens at Nippon Sharyo's plant in Rochelle, IL.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Also to meet the Buy America requirements for the ones for California.

Also to meet the Buy America requirements for the ones for California.

That is normally true, but also not applicable to the units being built for UPX. They could have been built in Japan and shipped over complete and directly to Toronto (or SMART), much as Rotem did with the first Silverliner Vs for SEPTA and Sentinel cars for Metrolink, but they don't.

Nippon Sharyo has seemed to have found a good balance in the amount of work it does back home and here in North America.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

That is normally true, but also not applicable to the units being built for UPX. They could have been built in Japan and shipped over complete and directly to Toronto (or SMART), much as Rotem did with the first Silverliner Vs for SEPTA and Sentinel cars for Metrolink, but they don't.

Nippon Sharyo has seemed to have found a good balance in the amount of work it does back home and here in North America.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Yes our cars will be full built when they arrive here starting next month if things are still on schedule.

There are equipment bought in the US that don't comply with the Buy America since they are not receiving funding from the Feds in the first place, something not built in the US since it a small number or a waver has been issue for them. Most prototype equipment will be fully built off shore to make sure they work before going into production in the US as well heading for testing.

The first 2 unites for California were to be fully completed upon arrival so testing could get underway to see if there are any issues with then and be certify before full production starts both oversea as well in NA. Also to deal with any of our cars before being ship to us.

What? They didn't even own those stations? That's kind of hard to believe, I'm guessing they mean the station buildings? I'm pretty sure they already own large portions of those stations. Such as the land that's used for the parking lots at Brampton(+200,000sq/ft) and Oshawa(+600,000sq/ft), which would be worth way more than 2.5 million each nevermind combined. Man I hate articles that aren't very descriptive or misleading.

What? They didn't even own those stations? That's kind of hard to believe, I'm guessing they mean the station buildings? I'm pretty sure they already own large portions of those stations. Such as the land that's used for the parking lots at Brampton(+200,000sq/ft) and Oshawa(+600,000sq/ft), which would be worth way more than 2.5 million each nevermind combined. Man I hate articles that aren't very descriptive or misleading.

Seems to merely be a transfer of title, now they can make modifications without seeking permission from CN (did CN actually own these? I thought the Government of Canada, through VIA, would have the ownership).

"UNION PEARSON EXPRESS" - suggested by Kraftwerk's Trans Europe Express

As posted on Twitter today

UPisode 1

[video=youtube;Y-JE9B_RE9M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-JE9B_RE9M&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Everyone: For my 2000th post(!!!) I watched this video and remembering Kraftwerk's "Trans Europe Express" I kept thinking
this music with the words "Union Pearson Express" and I found these two YouTube videos - one of the original song and the
other the long German version with the TEE rail video included...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMVokT5e0zs
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKHfSwoALYE

The Union Pearson Express service looks to be an interesting addition to Toronto's rail services and I feel that it should serve
both passengers flying to/from YYZ as well as Pearson workers equally with reasonable commutation fares in a way that
encourages use of these new service options...

Long Island Mike

Last edited:
Walked by the Strachan overpass today and it looks like it's getting close to being ready for northbound traffic to be shifted off the detour and onto the permanent final bridge. (I think they'll have to stage the rebuild with southbound traffic staying on the detour for a while longer). No photos, so you'll have to read the below and use your imagination. ;)

On the south (Liberty) side, the northbound lane is now fully paved, and as one approaches the the bridge span, it widens out so that the whole roadway is fully paved. Bridge span also fully paved. The roadway north of the bridge is the least finished, as it seems to be awaiting a final base layer (of concrete? of gravel?) before the top asphalt coat can go on. Curbs are finished along the east side but the sidewalk hasn't been poured yet.

Was taking the GO train back from the Jays game today, and while going through the Bathurst Yard I had a thought: Have there ever been any proposals to deck over the yard to connect City Place to Front St with a park? Is it even technically feasible? It looks like there's enough clearance between the track level top of the walls on each side to build something over the tracks.

Just wondering. Seems like it would be a great opportunity to create some green space. I suppose the same thing could be done between Spadina and Blue Jays Way as well. If the Oxford proposal comes to fruition too, the end result could be a park stretching from Union all the way to Bathurst.

Since Metrolinx have intentions for a satellite station at Bathurst, I suspect any such ambitions would be stayed pending a go-ahead for that project.

Back