DSC_0099.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 690
  • DSC_0100.jpg
    DSC_0100.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 682
  • DSC_0101.jpg
    DSC_0101.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 674
The design and material palette are solid. The quality of construction appears to be quite good. What really stands out are the proportions. The podium and towers relate well. The podiums are really well executed with the proportions of retail, deep modulation and stepped penthouses. The planter detail stands on its own even without any planting.

For a project a bit off the beaten path, it is looking quite impressive.

I mean its not something I would personally design, but for what it is, it's successful. In a city that has some disasters being built on prime real estate downtown... This feels right contextually.

It's an interesting project and a welcome addition to the area. The floating planters on the balcony railings are a great feature. The contrast between the heavy and traditional look of the red-brick facades and the lightness of the glass facades is good. Lots of terraces and horizontal lines add interest without competing for one's attention. These terraces also give the building the look of a vertical community, not just an anonymous block. High-ceiling storefronts will help to create an attractive mixed-use avenue.

Last edited:
While the architecture isnt awe inspiring, I like the way the building approaches the street and adds quite a bit or urbanity and texture to this intersection. The planter boxes, if maintained properly, will add personality and colour to the facade. I also like the shape of the recessed balconies. There's quite a bit of diversity on the facade and it doesnt feel overworked.

In lieu of writing you an essay, my response would be "not Treviso Condos" or "not the same as what we were doing 20 years ago".

It wasn't never intended to be a "2015 architecture" project, so I don't get why, in your opinion, it should be. That said, would you say the same think of developments like 1st Thomas? In other words, does a modern building need to have a "modern", "actual", "innovative", even "fresh" design (that's what you mean with 2015 architecture, I suppose) in order to not be outdate? If a developer proposes tomorrow a gothic-styled high-rise, would you call it "already dated"? What about Kirkor's newest brutalist proposal (an architectural style from a half century ago)? How do you fell about that? I'm sincerely asking (and trying to learn something :p ).

For where this is going at Lawrence & Duffrin, this is a massive improvement over anything in the area and I welcome more buildings like it. This is going to make a great improvement at street level, with all those stores along the sidewalk. I hope some outdoor patios develop here. We need something like this on all 4 corners.

Agreed. We've got beefy podiums and good streetwalls where once there were only parking lots and strip malls. The architecture is obviously not progressive but it sets a decent enough stage for future excellence.

A number of sites in the area are in play so this project's success should be incentive enough for others to move forward.

From yesterday:

DSC00286.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00286.jpg
    DSC00286.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 444

Back