Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

Pictures taken 10 Nov 2012

IMG_1370-XL.jpg

IMG_1371-XL.jpg

IMG_1373-XL.jpg

IMG_1374-X2.jpg

IMG_1375-XL.jpg

IMG_1376-XL.jpg

IMG_1385-XL.jpg

IMG_1386-X2.jpg

IMG_1387-XL.jpg

IMG_1393-XL.jpg

IMG_1390-XL.jpg

It looks like they're trying to have it ready for the Calvalcade of Lights on November 17th. It appears that they're trying to get all the work that should have been done over October, done in under a week. Just amazing. *smh*

I'm imagining how this is going to look, what a wonderful refresh to the Square and the area west of the western walkway. Those little trees need protection for a few years from vandals/drunks like circular metal barriers or something. Something like this -

barrier.jpg

It looks like they're trying to have it ready for the Calvalcade of Lights on November 17th. It appears that they're trying to get all the work that should have been done over October, done in under a week. Just amazing. *smh*

They were working on the stage yesterday (Sunday) afternoon.

There are signs up near the skating rink saying "Open December 1" and explaining that the rink will not be open during Grey Cup or Cavalcade of Lights celebrations.

They seem to be putting up different and more classy barriers at the bases of the arches to stop climbers. It is all coming together

I'm imagining how this is going to look, what a wonderful refresh to the Square and the area west of the western walkway. Those little trees need protection for a few years from vandals/drunks like circular metal barriers or something. Something like this -

Tree bed looks shallow enough that it wont need protection from people.

I received confirmation from one of my City Hall sources that the stage will be ready for Cavalcade of Lights but that there will be no skating until next month. They're now working on the stage day and night. Why couldn't they have this kind of dedication before instead of rushing things last minute and no doubt paying a higher rate to work nights and weekends?

Why couldn't they have this kind of dedication before instead of rushing things last minute and no doubt paying a higher rate to work nights and weekends?
I can't think of any public projects that complete without cost over runs.. this was moving really slow, every time I walked by NPS this summer there was no one working

They seem to be putting up different and more classy barriers at the bases of the arches to stop climbers. It is all coming together

That's great! I'd love to see those. Can you describe them?

It's worth noting that once the stage, rink and arches rehabilitation are done, there will be no construction inside the square for at least a year -- the first time in maybe 3 or 4 years.

Work will continue on the peace garden, and commence on the walkways next spring. There may be some minor disruption near where the walkways will have their walls replaced with fritted glass but we'll be able to enjoy the square without construction barriers and equipment for the first time in a long time.

Near the end of the project, they'll be replacing the parking entrances and furniture but other than that the inside of square is mostly complete. The next big change will be the Queen street forecourt and the parking elevator building.

The restaurant has received several expressions of interest which will not be made public because they're in negotiations. At this point, it is very likely to be built. Construction should start in 2014. I just hope it's not some chain and instead a local restauranteur in the mid price range. It would be great if they had a window for quick comfort food for takeout.

After this project is complete, we'll be looking squarely at The Sheraton Centre to turn themselves inside out. I recall that there was talk about turning their offices into store fronts with doors and windows facing both the street and the inside lobby, allowing for a better flow into and out of the hotel as well as a dramatic improvement in street activity.

Any ETA on when the front of Queen street will be done ?

Any ETA on when the front of Queen street will be done ?

December 2013 but I'm guessing closer to Spring 2014. It's one of the last things to be done. I guess it makes sense since they've been carting heavy equipment and construction supplies inside the square. Items get finished from the inside out until the whole thing is done and Queen St. is the last piece.

Thanks for the photo rdaner. While an improvement over the chain link fence, I must say that that's just pointless. People who want to climb can still do so by walking to the side. If that's the case, then just put up a warning sign. All this seems to do is ward off liabilities but it does nothing more than a sign would.

I think planters with small trees or flowers, would have been a more attractive option, for the base of those arches. I do like the new stage. It's one of the best I've seen.

Back