Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

The restaurant has received several expressions of interest which will not be made public because they're in negotiations. At this point, it is very likely to be built. Construction should start in 2014. I just hope it's not some chain and instead a local restauranteur in the mid price range. It would be great if they had a window for quick comfort food for takeout.

Totally agree, a local entrepreneur that sells quality and reasonably priced food that is easy to take away and at least some of the kind of fun foods that people want to fill the void in their stomach.
After this project is complete, we'll be looking squarely at The Sheraton Centre to turn themselves inside out. I recall that there was talk about turning their offices into store fronts with doors and windows facing both the street and the inside lobby, allowing for a better flow into and out of the hotel as well as a dramatic improvement in street activity.

First I've heard that, let's hope! There's still that terribly placed parking garage entrance but any improvements would be good improvements along there.

This afternoon the fence around the pool/rink has all been removed so I assume they have finished that part of the project. They are also busily erecting the (last?) separate stage for the Festival of Lights (on 17th) and continuing to do work on the new permanant stage that looks 95% complete to me. Looks like they will meet the December 1 date for skating and the stage being 100% ready for New Year celebrations. The ugly metal fences at the base of the arches have gone and are replaced by a much better looking railing (which may not quite be finished yet - I presume to stop lunatics skate-boarding down them?

They are also busily erecting the (last?) separate stage for the Festival of Lights (on 17th) and continuing to do work on the new permanant stage that looks 95% complete to me.

I wonder when they made that decision. Just yesterday, they were planning on finishing up (enough of) the stage by the 17th to host the Cavalcade of Lights. I guess they realized that rushing through something in a week isn't going to complete the work that was meant to be done over a month or two. They are still working through the night so maybe they might want to use the stage in addition to the temporary one?

Pictures taken 25 November 2012

IMG_1462_1-XL.jpg

IMG_1465_1-XL.jpg

IMG_1466_1-XL.jpg

IMG_1468_1-XL.jpg

Pictures taken 25 November 2012

Excellent photos rdaner, the Square is going to look soooo good once complete and all the clutter removed. By the way, how did you manage to take pictures tomorrow and post them today? That's an UT first! :) If you have a time machine happening I wouldn't mind going back to about 1977 and starting over again!

it would be nice if these were restored and painted white to match the new stage.
imo.

A good pressure cleaning, yes. Paint, no. I could be wrong but I seem to recall that part of the job with the rink involved enhanced or upgraded lighting under the arches.

Ummm - so they left just enough space betwen the glass and the steel frame for pigeons to roost in there (doubling pigeon capacity).
Smart.

Really good point officedweller, wow. The City needs to allocate funds again to collect seagull and pigeon eggs (let me have it bird lovers) to reduce the populations.

I wonder how large of hail this glass can withhold. We don't get large hail in Toronto very often, but it can happen.

Surely that glass is strong enough to handle hail no? It's also being used everywhere along the sides of buildings to partially protect sidewalks too so it must have some good strength to it. I'd prefer if it matched the new glass on the City Hall towers instead of being green but it's all good, I'm just being picky.

I suspect the spaceframe will be closed off - you can see the same kind of support for the glass (without the spider) on the underside of the frame - even though that wasn't present in the rendering. Another solution would be to use a fine wire mesh.

AoD

I suspect the spaceframe will be closed off - you can see the same kind of support for the glass (without the spider) on the underside of the frame - even though that wasn't present in the rendering. Another solution would be to use a fine wire mesh.

AoD

Alvin, I don't think so. The entire purpose of the rig is for hanging lighting and sound equipment so they can't enclose it with glass. I do hope they address the potential pigeon problem because the stage's steps will be a great place to sit unless there are pigeons pooping on you.

Back