Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

I would say they are there because that is where the bus stops...but that doesn't explain why they all pull out their cameras and start taking pictures. To outsiders, City hall and the CN tower are our 2 most recognizable landmarks. It's only natural that tourists arrive by the busload.

I would say they are there because that is where the bus stops...but that doesn't explain why they all pull out their cameras and start taking pictures. To outsiders, City hall and the CN tower are our 2 most recognizable landmarks. It's only natural that tourists arrive by the busload.

Some tourists will take pictures of pretty much anything, especially the asian ones.

I totally remember being excited as a kid when my uncle took me down to see the "New City Hall" and go skating. It had been up for probably a decade already but I had never seen it in person, it was a big deal to me back then and I still marvel at it today so I don't see why tourists wouldn't appreciate it.

Closer to home, Mississauga City Hall would definitely be a landmark to tourists *there*, along w/Marilyn, etc.

And those of you who're offering/agreeing w/the "I've never been to another city hall as a tourist in my travels", may I offer this: as a tourist, you've let yourself be an uninspired, disinterested idiot. Pure and simple. And especially from an Urban Toronto perspective, which begs a bit of a comprehensive "urban beholder" engagement to anyplace we visit.

Consider this notion.

I've been seeing some lighting tests being done on the north side of the City Hall towers all night. I was thinking that they were adjusting the LED lighting system and finally designing some patterns to take advantage of the system and then it just dawned on me that perhaps it's something for Nuit Blanche. I didn't check their website yet, we're going to read what's happening and plan our walking route for Nuit Blanche on Friday.

Are the two towers going to be power washed? Also, is there the possibility of the walkway perimeter to be clad in the same tile as the skate building?

At one point when Old City Hall was being restored, there was talk about moving the crews to New City Hall but it got held up by work on the green roof. Councillor KWT recently told me that she hasn't found any evidence of upcoming work to clean the towers although she is very aware of how dirty they look. Along with other councillors, I'm sure that they will see to it that the towers get cleaned before declaring the Revitalization of Nathan Phillips Square complete.

As for the outer walls of the walkways, recladding them was considered (I believe I mentioned it some pages page). However, while it is not in the current budget, it may be done in the last stage of the work on the square. This includes recladding the SE garage entrance/elevator building with the same treatment as the skate pavillion and stage. Cutouts are going to be made on the walkway walls facing the inside of the square and have fritted glass. I don't think they're going to leave the remaining walls old, chipped and dirty -- but that's just me being optimistic.

Last edited:
npso21.jpg

Back