Toronto The Tower at King West | ?m | 26s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

Just when you think it couldn't any worse in Liberty Village...

How this got through City Planning is beyond me.

Call me crazy but for some reason I don't see this as that bad. Perhaps I'm desensitized by all the other crap in Liberty Village. Maybe it's the brick (precast?) that I think will age well.

Looks like it meets the street terribly though, and for that alone I give it a failing grade.

Oh Dear god :( Every time i see an eye sore like this i think of what Brad J Lamb said on his twitter. "We should be endeavouring to develop buildings as art. Buyers need to stop rewarding developers who don't try to create great housing"

What has happened to LV is shameful...

Plazacorp should not be allowed to build downtown unless they get their act together. They build too much crap in prominent areas.

Liberty Village amounts to little more than a hideously squandered opportunity to build on a parcel of historic Toronto. It does indeed resemble Soviet bloc housing for the soulless proles. How very dreary and monoculture. Certainly nothing to be proud of.

3 November 2012:

20121103162847.jpg

I know it's not a pretty building per se, but it has such a distinct silhouette on the local skyline and look overall that I find myself liking it.

It sticks up above the other Liberty Village condos around it in a way that breaks the monotony of the skyline there, as its brick breaks the red and black mould that the area sports otherwise too.

Anyway, it's not finished yet, so this is not my final judgement, but huzzah for variety!

But what about up-close, where it matters, and its role in the neighbourhood, to whom it really and truly matters?

Regardless of its silhouette or place in a skyline, I think this project fails on so many levels, it sums up everything that is wrong with LV.

I have no idea what it's like, or more to the point, what it will be like at the street. Is it close enough to being finished that we know that yet?

Back